• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Think We Read More Into Scriptures Than What Is There?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I am beginning to see that some people are seemingly reading more into scriptures than is really there. I know I must have done this myself many times. This question has been asked in different variations, but I thought I'd ask it again.

Do you think we put more into our holy writings that was actually intended? Do we do this with normal writings/speeches/conversations? Do you think it can be avoided or is just natural to do that?

Any comments are welcome, but I do ask that people at least remain civil.

outhouse

Atheistically
I believe so Christine

I see the same examples you do, I think everyone has their own expectation of what spirit and or a deity is to them through the reading they have done.

Understanding there is very little descrition in the bible about the deity to begin with. Plenty about what he will do or wont do, what he likes and doesnt like. But for a actual description, it gets pretty vague.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I think people can read too little and/or too much into them, depending on what their specific agenda is regarding particular parts. Then again, I don't think there's an objective "just right" amount.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, it happens in all of the major religions: Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, maybe Buddhism (not sure). I think the problem lies in the fact that scriptures were written centuries and milennia ago in languages we don't speak.

I've seen countless translations of passages of the bible that don't come anywhere near matching each other. The same holds for Hindu texts. I see translations into English, and while I don't pretend to know Sanskrit, from what I do know even I can see the original can't possibly have said that.

It's like reporting a crime to the police: 10 people will see 10 different things and relay 10 different versions of the incident. People see, hear and read what they want.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Yes,

Even in our own language one interprets what they read into their own paradigm of thought. One can't read the mind of the author. We kind of have no choice. I think only if you were there and shared common experiences with the author could you hope to get close to a precise understanding. Doesn't mean we don't try. However there's no guarantee of accuracy.

Unfortunately every Tom, Dick and Mary thinks to have been inspired by God with the true understanding. That's why we end up with so many denominations.

Photonic

Ad astra!
I am beginning to see that some people are seemingly reading more into scriptures than is really there. I know I must have done this myself many times. This question has been asked in different variations, but I thought I'd ask it again.

Do you think we put more into our holy writings that was actually intended? Do we do this with normal writings/speeches/conversations? Do you think it can be avoided or is just natural to do that?

It often happens when you try to explain something using the bible that, honestly, it was never meant to explain, and never will be. As our knowledge advances, people will wake up to the idea that it really doesn't have all the answers.

It may lead to more association with the idea and less with the book.

Humans who are wrong often try to stretch what they say to make it at least resemble what is right. It's part of argumentation theory. It's not just a religious thing. It doesn't even have to be a conscious effort.

savethedreams

100% Yes. I read the bible before and some people read way to much more then what it actually saying. It seems like people want it to READ MORE then what it actually is on the papers, the words on the paper. I think its called "exgesis".

Me Myself

Back to my username
I would think yes, but that it is a good thing.

Depending on what is this "more" that you are reading :D

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

What everyone has said so far....:sad:

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist

I think many people do, and usually, I see it serving one's own biases. I've seen many Christians claim that the Bible says something, when it most likely isn't supporting such an idea. At the same time, I have seen many atheists, or non-Christians claim the Bible says something, when it really doesn't.

I think this has to do with people not knowing the language, the historical context, the genres, etc. I think most people are just very uninformed about the Bible. Which may not be necessarily their fault, as being brought up, and going to church, many assume that is enough. And I have heard that man times, that since they were brought up Christian, they just know everything about Christianity, including the Bible.

Matthew78

aspiring biblical scholar
100% Yes. I read the bible before and some people read way to much more then what it actually saying. It seems like people want it to READ MORE then what it actually is on the papers, the words on the paper. I think its called "exgesis".

I agree with this. Just to give an example: there are many fundamentalist Christians, like my mother, who hate homosexuality with a passion. She reads the Genesis stories about the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah through the interpretive lens she was raised with. In her opinion, when (in Genesis 19: 1-6) all of the men gathered at Lot's house, wanting sex with the visitors, well that is just proof positive that they were all homosexuals. I read a book suggesting that the punishment of Sodom and Gomorroah had more to do with men violating hospitality norms by gang-raping other men and not really anything to do with homosexuality. But, no, my mother will have none of it. She wants the Bible to condemn homosexuality. In her view, those repugnant perverts got their just reward! :facepalm:

blackout

Violet.
If people read the Bible just like they read any other collective work,
just for their own personal edification/interest and interpretation/introspection
I don't think we would see anything that even slightly resembles
the religion we call "Christianity".

Last edited:

tariqkhwaja

Jihad Against Terrorism
Assalamualaikum.

It is true and that danger is always present which is why when it comes to the Quran there are several rules to Quranic commentary:
1. The Quran supports the Quran. i.e. interpretations of certain verses is always supported (explicitly or otherwise) by other verses. And wrong interpretations are negated. Good commentators of the Quran are usually able to bring a slew of verses to support their interpretation of a particular verse. This is mandatory.
2. Support of Sunnah and Hadith is a plus point though not mandatory.
3. Commentaries by early scholars are another plus point but even less mandatory.

For example, in the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community we believe Jesus, son of Mary is dead and will not come back (unlike mainstream Muslims). To support that fact we bring one Quranic verse and interpret it to mean his death.

[5:118] “I said nothing to them except that which Thou didst command me — ‘Worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord.’ And I was a witness over them as long as I remained among them, but since Thou didst cause me to die, Thou hast been the Watcher over them; and Thou art Witness over all things.

Now the part in bold Muslims translate as "Thou didst take me up" (as in to the skies). So to support our view we bring other verses which uses the same word with reference to other Prophets. And then we look at the use of the word in the entire Quran. And then we point to a Hadith in which the Holy Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) is using identical wording referring to himself, etc.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Peace be on you.
When time goes far from the Prophet of God, people start to read things which were not there. For example, Bible talks about many sons of God. Angels sons of God , Children of righteous , David son of God etc etc......Son of God was the term meant to mention good people. Latter, due to translations, it was taken as literal. (Refereces Job 38.7, Genesis 6.2, Psalms 82.6, Psalms 2.7......)

Second example is people read from Quran that Jesus going up when put to cross. In fact, allegations were put on him and God declared him pure from those. People confused the word 'honored' with word 'taken up' in Quran. In fact, he migrated from the troubled place and went to Kashmir with his mother and lived a long life of success as prophet of God. In his journey, he met 'lost sheep', the tribes of Israel. (Ref: online book Search words = " Jesus in India alislam org " with references from History, Medicine, Bible, Quran)

Last edited:

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
I believe a lot of people read scriptures and miss the fact that the finger is pointing in their own direction, thus the word hypocrite comes to mind. It is easier to find fault with someone rather than one's self.

The only time they apply what they have read is when it serves the purpose to point out failure and find fault with others....;)

Erebus

Well I've seen somebody insist a poem describing a young boy watching his father plow a field actually had a prominent nautical theme as well as having been made to look for symbolism and meaning in "Waiting for Godot" in one of my Uni classes... so yeah it's easy enough to read too much into any text, sacred or not.

I think much of it is unavoidable as we all read through our own lens so to speak. However, I find it's always a good idea to do a little background research to get some context on what you're looking at. A lot of the dietary guidelines in the Old Testament make a lot of sense in the context of an ancient nomadic tribe for example.

chinu

chinu

No it can't be avoided, its natural to do this. :)

Now the question is what is the benifit of doing this ?
Ans: Like.. As you have done this many times but now you beganed to see that people are seemingly reading more into scriptures than is really there, Simlarly one day other people will know/understand this conceot/ truth.

Benifit is.. that one day they will know this truth on their own, through this naturel way, and this is the real motive which is hidden behind this concept.:)

That's easy. If a loving caring god dropped by one time during the stone age and left the only keys to the kingdom with a mob of primitives who believed in witchcraft and thought the earth was flat......he has one helluva sense of humor.

Renji

Yup, yup. Sometimes it's because as a particular scripture becomes translated from the original language it is written to another, let's say English, there is a tendency for the original meaning to be altered because there can be no direct translation for a particular word or phrase, hence, the result would be that the reader would have a different view on a particular verse than what it actually meant. Another thing is that sometimes, it's sometimes hard to determine when to take a verse literally and when not to take it literally. So, in that case, reading a scripture contextually and not just by simply taking what a verse says could actually help resolve the problem. Lastly, as stated already, bias is also a big factor. Sometimes, we tend to believe that the bible, for example, states a particular thing, which it doesn't actually say... So in that case, we just need to be more open of what it actually says, rather than insisting or letting our own interpretation to fit in it. Having that said, maybe it can be avoided, but it is also natural..