• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you think Long Island Medium is for real?

Dubio

I love watching her show. She seems like the real deal(Psychic) and it seems like she gets a lot of details right. I am still a little skeptical. It's possible that the show is scripted.

Do you think she is for real? Have you met a psychic that was accurate and gave specific information that was correct?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
My personal rule of thumb has served me pretty well: If they're on tv, best to mind your wallet more than their words.

Oh, and I believe in psychics. I believe in God, too - doesn't mean I send money to televangelists.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I love watching her show. She seems like the real deal(Psychic) and it seems like she gets a lot of details right. I am still a little skeptical. It's possible that the show is scripted.

Do you think she is for real? Have you met a psychic that was accurate and gave specific information that was correct?

First, check this out:

[youtube]Xswt8B8-UTM[/youtube]
Derren Brown Interview (1/6) - Richard Dawkins - YouTube

Second, no, she is not really psychic. The biggest thing with the show is that we don't see nearly the whole situation. They cut a lot out. So, she might get a "hit", but it comes after several misses.

If you watch the video and then watch the show, you'll notice all of the things she does match up.

Basically she uses the normal tactics, like she'll ask something like "Was your brother a flirt?". If the person says yes, then she can expound on it with details like "Yeah, because he's really coming onto me", and it makes it sound really good. If the person says no, then she can twist it into something else like "Maybe just friendly", until she gets that hit. If you're in the reading yourself, not watching on TV, the hits will stick out a lot more than the misses. But when it's on TV, they can even cut out most of the misses and show only the hits, which makes it seem even more amazing.

One thing you'll notice a lot is very vague stuff like "Did your father call you his little princess?". That's an extremely common term a father uses for his daughter, so she's not exactly going out on a limb with the guess. And again, even if that's not it, chances are the father had some kind of pet name for the daughter, and she can work her way to the right one.

Last edited:

Desolateconstruct

I was actually talking with some of my friends about this show recently. I spent the majority of this last year in the Persian Gulf on deployment so this show was new to me, however, this charlatan's tactics are not. She's cold reading. Sylvia Brown does it, that John Edwards creeper does it...it's really a shameful way to make some money. I mean you gotta eat but...c'mon really? To boot she has a TV show? TLC is really grasping at straw's these days in terms of programming. Look at PBS, they do perfectly fine and they are funded by viewers like you.

Its just sad that this woman preys on people's desire to communicate, if only one last time, with their lost loved ones. I tell ya, if I was not such a skeptic I'd probably drool at the thought of hearing from my uncle who passed away recently. The strange thing is, if you watch the show, her husband seems really put off by the whole thing, like its a complete nusiance.

It really makes me sick thinking about her con. That's what she is at heart, a rotten con artist.

loverOfTruth

On top of what everyone said so far ... how come all the communication we hear from the other side is all 'nice and dandy' ? Everything is like 'they are doing fine, they are watching over you and blah blah blah...'. I haven't heard a single negative one yet ...

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Hahahaha... *gasp* Hahahaha... No. First of all, reality television should not make you even question. It is reality television after all, and it holds not even the slightest bit of validity. Besides that, psychics are fake. They read expressions, are vague, generalize extraordinarily, in short they are hacks. Honestly anyone who would pay to go to a psychic deserves to have their money stolen.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
On top of what everyone said so far ... how come all the communication we hear from the other side is all 'nice and dandy' ? Everything is like 'they are doing fine, they are watching over you and blah blah blah...'. I haven't heard a single negative one yet ...

My thoughts exactly. Btw what dress size determines when you stop being a medium and become a large? And that hair..don't get me started.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist

I agree with what's been saying in this thread. No, she is not the real deal. If she was, she would have taken the James Randi Million Dollar Challenge, and had won that, as well as millions of others that are reserved for psychics if they can prove themselves. She has been called out, and has refused. Obviously she is working her show for money, so I see no reason why she wouldn't take a chance to win millions as well as get a massive amount of publicity.

Even if it wasn't just that though, I had no trust in psychics. When I was younger, I worked as a psychic (faked it), both in live shows as well as over the phone. Having met quite a few psychics, and having been one, I know of none that can actually do it. Since my days as a psychic, I have also made a career of testing, and debunking local psychics, and still have not met one who could do what they are claiming with out trickery.

Not saying there are no psychics, but that I have never seen any actual evidence, and all I have seen to date is trickery.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Never heard of this person, but in general, pop culture psychics give a bad name to the entire metaphysical community. And they make people like me avoid the label "psychic" like the plague even though it's a legitimate description for some of what I do in my path.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
I love watching her show.

Each to his own I guess.

She seems like the real deal(Psychic) and it seems like she gets a lot of details right.

I'm sure she does.
So do I when I employ cold reading as a party trick.

I am still a little skeptical.

Hold on to that thought.

It's possible that the show is scripted.

A TV show? Scripted? What is the world coming to...?

Do you think she is for real?

Nope.

Have you met a psychic that was accurate and gave specific information that was correct?

I've never met a psychic.
They're like...unicorns in that respect.

averageJOE

zombie
Reminds me of what Lisa Simpson said to a psychic in a really old episode: "Wow, you really can see into the...present."

Dubio

I see what many of you are saying. I can see where she fishes for information or says something like "Your dad called you buddy". She does tease you with some specifics like when she told a lady she sees an image of a turtle. The lady started crying and said her dad gave her a turtle figurine. Out of all the objects or things the psychic could have said, she said turtle. It's not compelling evidence but it makes me wonder.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I see what many of you are saying. I can see where she fishes for information or says something like "Your dad called you buddy". She does tease you with some specifics like when she told a lady she sees an image of a turtle. The lady started crying and said her dad gave her a turtle figurine. Out of all the objects or things the psychic could have said, she said turtle. It's not compelling evidence but it makes me wonder.

Again, we don't know what led to that. Plus, we don't know how many times she's said that to someone and not gotten a hit. And further, an image of a turtle is an extremely vague thing.

But mainly it all goes back to not seeing the whole thing. Maybe she said a different animal first, or tried a different person or any number of other things.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
As mentioned by Magic Man, you have to count the misses as well as the hits.
Also, you should really check out any number of videos by Derren Brown on Youtube.
That should make you severely skeptical about any claims made by so-called psychics.
You could do worse than to start here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xswt8B8-UTM

Last edited:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
We still have a Victorian Spiritulis church in our village.
Saw this notice on their board on sunday.

I don't think I will be going:eek:
spirit-web.jpg