• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you support gay marriage?

Do you support gay marriage?

• Yes.

Votes: 41 80.4%
  • No.

Votes: 10 19.6%

• Total voters

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
In Revoltistan, inter-racial marriages are the most stable.
(Of course, Mrs Revolt & I skew that statistic by having
our 40th anniversary coming up next year.)
Nonetheless, we don't ban same-race marriages.
It's about basic rights for all...not equality of outcome.

Congrats! Of course, all inter-racial marriages should be legal. I personally think there's nothing wrong with same-sex marriages either, but I respect each state's right to ban whatever they deem as wrong in their jurisdiction.

I'm against the federales control of morality.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
You would need to prove that they are "human" in the same sense that you and I are human. What standard would you use?

I think we've had this discussion before...Crimes don't only occur against persons, they also happen against property or valuable resources in society. If a stray tame little dog wanders into my yard,,,do I have the right to capture, torture and kill this life. Likewise, what right does anybody have from torturing a living human fetus and killing this potential human life?

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Cite that evidence. I've never seen any study that concluded that "some animals prefer same-sex activity".
Animals from higher to insect- partial list
List of animals displaying homosexual behavior - Wikipedia

mammals full list List of mammals displaying homosexual behavior - Wikipedia

Just one of many:

"Elevated levels of testosterone in utero"[15] increases aggressiveness and both male and female spotted hyenas mount submissive same-sex members who likely have lower levels of testosterone from their mothers.[16][17][18]

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
And if a couple moves from one state to another? Should the valid marriage in the first state be legal in the second?

Before Obergefell vs Hodges . some states did ban all gay marriages.. none of these same-sex marriages were recognized in these states banning gay marriages. Then came along Justice Ginsberg who shifted the balance of the SCOTUS that federalized control of same-sex marriages rather than allowing the people of each state to determine if gay marriages should be recognized in their communities.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I think we've had this discussion before...Crimes don't only occur against persons, they also happen against property or valuable resources in society. If a stray dog wonders into my yard,,,do I have the right to capture, torture and kill this life. Likewise, what right does anybody have from torturing a living human fetus and killing this potential human life?
Nope, not with me. And your property argument fails abysmally if you think about it.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Nope, not with me. And your property argument fails abysmally if you think about it.

What about my analogy of capturing, torturing and killing a stray little tame dog with the torturing and killing of a living human fetus? Both acts are wrong, don't you think?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Congrats! Of course, all inter-racial marriages should be legal. I personally think there's nothing wrong with same-sex marriages either, but I respect each state's right to ban whatever they deem as wrong in their jurisdiction.

I'm against the federales control of morality.
Oh, please. All citizens should have the same fundamental rights. It's simply chaotic and stupid to go across state lines and then your marriage is illegal. What if you're in a state where the marriage is illegal and one of you dies or gets injured or sick? What about hospital visitation rights? It's stupid and illogical. But of course, it's not your marriage on the line. I'm sure you're white and married to a white woman so this is all abstract theory to you. It's "someone else". :rolleyes:

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Oh, please. All citizens should have the same fundamental rights. It's simply chaotic and stupid to go across state lines and then your marriage is illegal. What if you're in a state where the marriage is illegal and one of you dies or gets injured or sick? What about hospital visitation rights? It's stupid and illogical. But of course, it's not your marriage on the line. I'm sure you're white and married to a white woman so this is all abstract theory to you. It's "someone else". :rolleyes:

I think we all belong to the human race, and anybody should be allowed to marry somebody of a different skin color. I also support gay rights in my community, but who am I to tell people elsewhere they must legally recognize gay marriages?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I think we all belong to the human race, and anybody should be allowed to marry somebody of a different skin color. I also support gay rights in my community, but who am I to tell people elsewhere they must legally recognize gay marriages?
Because there's no good reason not to and because gay and bisexual people deserve the same rights as straight people. They're citizens, work and pay their taxes like I assume you do so why should they be treated like second class citizens by their own government? I don't buy this "state's rights" crap. It's nonsensical to me. It's like saying one state should be allowed to enforce racial segregation because of "state's rights". Actually, that's likely where that idea came from in the first place - slavery and then Jim Crow.

I mean, we even allow serial killers on death row to marry but you're saying that a state should be able to say no to a same-sex couple that's been together for decades, no matter how upstanding they are as citizens. A travesty!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It sounds like you are taking offense over people's opinions. :(
Then those word are dispensable. We don't need them. What's the problem? In disposing of those words, the categories that define sexual orientation are disposed of.

What do you mean?

Sexual attraction has been studied and used in our literary arts and history for AGES and ages. Whether attraction or just behavior, or a mix, its not a big deal using labels. You may have issues with the words LGBTQ, many people do; those are social constructs. Built up because of anti-gays, violence, and coming together to fight for ones life and rights to live. We can call ourselves Jamasafoots for all we care.

That doesnt mean hetersexuality, homosexuality, and bisexuality are just social constructs. Biology doesnt work that way.

What does this sentence mean? Define “attraction” and “in-born”. Cite the evidence by which to conclude that “attraction” is “in-born” (if that is what you mean).

Biological attraction??? Im not a doctor but this is the best I can find. https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/sex-gender-and-sexuality-its-complicated/ A little of both views about social construct and the views on the definition of gender, sex, a bit of history, and just general understanding of how the body, our genes works, in regards to our sexuality. Evolutionary Psychology Insights Regarding Human Sexuality | Eisenman | Europe’s Journal of Psychology Im not debating with you. I never heard of sexual attraction being a social construct. Id have to ask my straight friends, if I had any, if they just became attracted to their opposite peer or where they influence by their environment. I dont know what they would look like if I asked them that. Ha.

If you want to argue for some essentialist hypothesis of sexual orientation,

then you need to account for the evidence and facts by which people conclude that sexual orientation is a social construct--namely, (a) the fact that people in societies that didn't have words denoting sexual orientation did not behave in accordance with monosexual orientations (i.e., the well known examples of ancient Greece, ancient China, “primitive” cultures of Melanesia); and (b) the fact that people commonly change the sexual orientation cate

Switch sexual orientation to sexual attraction; that word is throwing you off.

You are talking about behavior. Behavior isnt bias. Our physiology is. Behavior has nothing to do with who is LGBTQ. It just means science and history decided people who act in X behaivor are This and Y behavior are That. Homo/heterosexuality have to do with psycological and pysiological attraction. Sexual orientation just tells you who. Nothing more.

1. We're not defined by labels.
2. Physical attraction is part of human biology. To whom that that attraction is oriented (unless the attraction is dormant) is natural too.

I don't know how ones sex determines whats biological and what's a social construct. Normality depends on culture. Biology does not.

1. Whether one is LGBTQ is a social construct
2. Who one is attracted to based on physiology and psychology is not.

a. You gave me the definition of social construct. I wont repeat it.

b. I dont know if you are familar with the words physiology, biology, and psychology in relation to sexual attraction. Im not a doctor so youd have to look that up and reflect on your own sexual experiences in relation to atraction.

So you're not able to define any of your terms or cite any evidence to support your claims?

You have to clarify without being rude. I am not a doctor. Unless you are asexual?, Im not sure what you are talking about

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What about my analogy of capturing, torturing and killing a stray little tame dog with the torturing and killing of a living human fetus? Both acts are wrong, don't you think?
If one tried to torture fetuses you might have a reasonable claim. But even that falls short since fetuses are not fully developed.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Thats confusing. Gay rights also means the right to marry.

Anyone can marry of a different skin color but one's sex is a different story?

Do you support people to marry regardless of sex and gender? Cause I thought you said you dont.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Because there's no good reason not to and because gay and bisexual people deserve the same rights as straight people. They're citizens, work and pay their taxes like I assume you do so why should they be treated like second class citizens by their own government? I don't buy this "state's rights" crap. It's nonsensical to me. It's like saying one state should be allowed to enforce racial segregation because of "state's rights". Actually, that's likely where that idea came from in the first place - slavery and then Jim Crow.

I mean, we even allow serial killers on death row to marry but you're saying that a state should be able to say no to a same-sex couple that's been together for decades, no matter how upstanding they are as citizens. A travesty!

When crossing state lines, whether or not I might agree with their laws on the other side, I still do respect and follow the local customs and culture.

If most people someplace believe marriage is strictly between a man and woman, I'm not gonna tell them marriage is also a legal right for gays. I do believe there are some places where I'd likely get my Yankee *** kicked, if I preached their society should allow same-sex marriage. ....:D

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Thats confusing. Gay rights also means the right to marry.

Anyone can marry of a different skin color but one's sex is a different story?

Do you support people to marry regardless of sex and gender? Cause I thought you said you dont.

I personally do support marriage between any two people in love with one another and who are happy together, but I also respect the traditional viewpoint and customs of those who believe marriage is strictly between a man and a woman.

According to a now deleted Facebook post, the president of infamous gay hookup app Grindr believes that marriage should only be between a man and a woman.

"There are people who believe that marriage is a holy matrimony between a man and a woman. I agree but that’s none of our business," Grindr president and former chief technology officer Scott Chen wrote in a post on his public Facebook page, reportsINTO (a gay culture website owned by Grindr).

He continued:

"There are also people who believe that the purpose of marriage is to create children that carry their DNA. That’s also none of our business. There are people that are simply different from you, who desperately want to get married. They have their own reasons."

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I personally do support marriage between any two people in love with one another and who are happy together, but I also respect the traditional viewpoint and customs of those who believe marriage is strictly between a man and a woman.

According to a now deleted Facebook post, the president of infamous gay hookup app Grindr believes that marriage should only be between a man and a woman.

"There are people who believe that marriage is a holy matrimony between a man and a woman. I agree but that’s none of our business," Grindr president and former chief technology officer Scott Chen wrote in a post on his public Facebook page, reportsINTO (a gay culture website owned by Grindr).

He continued:

"There are also people who believe that the purpose of marriage is to create children that carry their DNA. That’s also none of our business. There are people that are simply different from you, who desperately want to get married. They have their own reasons."

I can see that. It does have its drawbacks. It's not a requirement but supporting marriage without regards to sex isn't bias. So, supporting one, quote on quote type, and not another for gay couples isn't support. It's having a preference on the type of marriage you feel gay should have and anything outside of that is wrong.

While traditions should be highly respected, it's really sad that people leave traditions because they are biased in what love means. Supporting marriage between two gay people who wants a traditional marriage is the same as supporting a couple who opt out of traditional marriage. Supporting marriage isn't bias. So, imo, you either support or you dont.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Why do you keep referring to this?
What kind of authority do you think this guy has? Why should I care what he thinks about anything except his own affairs?
Tom