• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you support gay marriage?

Do you support gay marriage?

• Yes.

Votes: 41 80.4%
  • No.

Votes: 10 19.6%

• Total voters

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
I'm just wondering about how many people here on RF do and don't support gay marriage.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I'm just wondering about how many people here on RF do and don't support gay marriage.

I'm against marriage as a legal status. Marriage is mostly a religious ceremony. The legal aspect is really a means of providing support for children IMO. Legally this should be an automatic requirement between adults who have kids.

No kids, no legal need for marriage is there?

Same sex couples who want to adopt kids should have the same legal requirement marriage or not.

Nothing stopping people from having a religious ceremony, that's between them and their belief. I just don't think a religious ceremony should have legal standing.

Skwim

Veteran Member
as long as it makes them happy.png

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I used to oppose it. I grew up in a different era. But when I examined my position logically and dispassionately I saw my old beliefs fall apart. When it came to a vote in my state before the Supreme Court decision I voted to make it legal. Now I can clearly understand that it should not even be called "Gay marriage", instead it should be called "Marriage Equality". All people have the right to marry the one that they love.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm against marriage as a legal status. Marriage is mostly a religious ceremony. The legal aspect is really a means of providing support for children IMO. Legally this should be an automatic requirement between adults who have kids.

Same sex couples who want to adopt kids should have the same legal requirement marriage or not.

Nothing stopping people from having a religious ceremony, that's between them and their belief. I just don't think a religious ceremony should have legal standing.
This is not at all how marriage works in the US. It's mostly a function of state, how they are taxed as a unit, treated in court as a unit, appear as a unit before insurers, citizen rights, access to state welfare as a unit, etc etc.

Less than half the rights described have anything to do with kids, incidentally. Certainly not why my husband and I got married.

The religious aspect is already entirely accessory and voluntary and carries no legal weight.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I DO NOT support "gay marriage". It is a delusion. Sexual orientation is a social construct. That is one thing my husband and I agree on.

Edit.

Gay issues, sex, and gender aside. Sexual orientation is a social construct? Attraction is a social construct?

Not what, penis or genitals. Not who, male or female, just attraction itself???

I'm not a doctor, but this threw me off.

Last edited:

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I clicked yes even though I wouldn't call myself a supporter. I don't think it's any of my business what others do as long as they are not causing harm. If gay or straight people want to get married it doesn't impact me at all so good luck to them and I hope they have a happy life.

Last edited:

Mindmaster

Premium Member

I don't support it or reject it really, but the reasons people get married are children -- I fail to see the point, lol. Despite the arguments in favor, rarely do gay people get married in my personal experience. It's basically a hook-up lifestyle and because of that rarely do relations ever last longer than months to a year. Rarely are they monogamous either, though I am sure some are.

About the only sticker I'm not down with is that they cannot put their partner on their insurance without "civil unions", etc. I think it's more a probably with our insurance system in that it should work for households, not this relationship. It's rather easily fixed. I think this affects married people as well, so it'd be useful either way, lol.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I've never been against it or understood people's resistance to this novel idea of human decency. Most of the rationale against gay marriage simply doesn't hold water. Why does marriage have to be about popping out babies? Why can't it just be about two human animals who care deeply for each other? Isn't that enough?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I don't support it or reject it really, but the reasons people get married are children -- I fail to see the point, lol. Despite the arguments in favor, rarely do gay people get married in my personal experience. It's basically a hook-up lifestyle and because of that rarely do relations ever last longer than months to a year. Rarely are they monogamous either, though I am sure some are.

Those are some rather presumptuous (and thus worthless) assertions.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
This is not at all how marriage works in the US. It's mostly a function of state, how they are taxed as a unit, treated in court as a unit, appear as a unit before insurers, citizen rights, access to state welfare as a unit, etc etc.

Less than half the rights described have anything to do with kids, incidentally. Certainly not why my husband and I got married.

The religious aspect is already entirely accessory and voluntary and carries no legal weight.

Right, it's not how marriage is treated in the US, and elsewhere, and that's the problem.

I understand you get benefits from the legal status of marriage but are these benefits necessary and if necessary could they not be obtained by some other means?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Right, it's not how marriage is treated in the US, and elsewhere, and that's the problem.

I understand you get benefits from the legal status of marriage but are these benefits necessary and if necessary could they not be obtained by some other means?
Yes, they are necessary. No, creating a separate but equal way to access these same benefits for a secondary group would be unconstitutional. Why eliminate what we have: an efficient cost effective way of getting family units all the necessary legal framework in one contract?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

Inheritance, right of survivor-ship, medical and financial decisions, the constitutional right to not be a witness against your spouse in civil or criminal cases, to mention only a few. There are over 1,000 rights the marriage certificate provides.