• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you support gay marriage?

Do you support gay marriage?

• Yes.

Votes: 41 80.4%
  • No.

Votes: 10 19.6%

• Total voters

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I'd prefer a Constitutional change for a confederation of the states where each state has its own government, sovereign of federalization; the role of the federal government would be limited to the common defense of all the confederate states and interstate commerce between the states. Imo, This is what the drafters of the U.S. Constitution would now have wanted.
You might as well just want the country to break up into smaller countries. Well, that's not what we have. Here, all citizens are entitled to the same protections and rights under the Constitution and the Constitution overrides any state or local laws. End of story.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I understand and even agree with your sentiment, but I can assure you that despite Utah's strong conservative leanings, Mormons are definitely NOT "fundamentalist Christians."

I'm not a Mormon, but I've happily let them into my home when they've come to visit with my wife and me; I'm not religious enough to be one of them, but I respect their rights to practice their beautiful American Christian faith. The state of Utah is practically controlled by the Church of Latter Day Saints, who I'd rather see control Utah rather than the federal government.

Last edited:

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
The majority of the Supreme Court and of the (so-called) "inferior" federal courts spoke, and did so eloquently, logically and consistently with precedent. Why don't you respect that?

The majority of the Supreme Court has now shifted to sensible conservatives who may overturn Obergefell v Hodges on the basis that the SCOTUS in the words of Chief Justice John Roberts " is not a legislature. Whether same-sex marriage is a good idea should be of no concern to us. Under the Constitution, judges have power to say what the law is, not what it should be. The people who ratified the Constitution authorized courts to exercise ‘neither force nor will but merely judgment.' "

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Because we have a Constitution.

Why is Trump president when Clinton got millions more votes?
Tom

Imo, The U.S. Constitution should be amended. As I've previously mentioned, there should be a confederation of the states where each state has its own government, sovereign of federalization; the role of the federal government would be limited to the common defense of all the confederate states and interstate commerce between the states. Imo, this is what the drafters of the U.S. Constitution would've now wanted, because the federal government has gained way too much power and control over state and local governments.

"Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
As the majority often have highly subjective and nonsensical views of a great many things. Ergo they should never be in charge of dictating the lives of others. Tyranny of the majority is what you are advocating. Some of the social change such as views on interracial marriage were due to ignoring the majority's whims at the time.

There's too many mix breed persons everywhere nowadays, I highly doubt interracial marriage is in legal jeopardy anywhere. However, there's still many persons in some places who continue to define marriage as strictly between a man and woman; I disagree marriage can't be between two persons of the same-sex, but I respect those of the many religious Faiths who have always taught marriage is strictly between a man and woman.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The majority of the Supreme Court has now shifted to sensible conservatives who may overturn Obergefell v Hodges on the basis that the SCOTUS in the words of Chief Justice John Roberts " is not a legislature. Whether same-sex marriage is a good idea should be of no concern to us. Under the Constitution, judges have power to say what the law is, not what it should be. The people who ratified the Constitution authorized courts to exercise ‘neither force nor will but merely judgment.' "
Why on Earth would they do that? You seem to be conflating the word "conservative" with "ignorant, biased, and foolish". Why do you keep insulting conservatives that way?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What the flying ****.
Why just the other day I saw a commercial with a mixed couple on that there television. As brazen as could be not showing any shame whatsoever! And there was nothing I could do about it. My good sheets were out at the laundry.

Flame

Beware
Why just the other day I saw a commercial with a mixed couple on that there television. As brazen as could be not showing any shame whatsoever! And there was nothing I could do about it. My good sheets were out at the laundry.

They let me work at a hospital! A hospital! What are they thinking!

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I'm not a Mormon, but I've happily let them into my home when they've come to visit with my wife and me; I'm not religious enough to be one of them, but I respect their rights to practice their beautiful American Christian faith. The state of Utah is practically controlled by the Church of Latter Day Saints, who I'd rather see control Utah rather than the federal government.
I appreciate your kind words about Mormons, but I'm really interested in what you mean when you say the state of Utah is practically controlled by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints? Aside from our rather restrictive liquor laws (which are undoubtedly LDS-influenced), I'm wondering what you might be thinking of.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
There's too many mix breed persons everywhere nowadays, I highly doubt interracial marriage is in legal jeopardy anywhere.
Yikes!!!! Don't you mean "mixed race"? I have no problem whatsoever with mixed-race marriages, but the last I knew, there was only one breed of humans.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Yikes!!!! Don't you mean "mixed race"? I have no problem whatsoever with mixed-race marriages, but the last I knew, there was only one breed of humans.

Flame unfairly mine quoted me. I wrote there's too many mixed breed persons ( meaning multiracial persons) everywhere for interracial marriages to be in legal jeopardy. I never wrote there's too many mixed breed persons (meaning multiracial persons) everywhere for my liking.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Flame unfairly mine quoted me. I wrote there's too many mixed breed persons ( meaning multiracial persons) everywhere for interracial marriages to be in legal jeopardy. I never wrote there's too many mixed breed persons (meaning multiracial persons) everywhere for my liking.
It's good that you fixed that.
Otherwise you'd endure much purple rain.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
It doesn't matter what your intentions were. You voiced your real feelings.

I actually appreciate a bit of ethnic diversity. Flame didn't rightfully quote my entire sentence written of which I wrote there's too many mixed-breed persons ( meaning multiracial persons) everywhere for interracial marriages to be in legal jeopardy. I would never simply think there's too many mixed-breed persons ( meaning multiracial persons) everywhere for my liking.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I appreciate your kind words about Mormons, but I'm really interested in what you mean when you say the state of Utah is practically controlled by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints? Aside from our rather restrictive liquor laws (which are undoubtedly LDS-influenced), I'm wondering what you might be thinking of.

I know somebody from Utah who told me nobody can get a decent job in Utah unless he/she belongs to the Church of Latter Day Saints... Is this not true?