• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Obey The Law Because You're Afraid of Jail?

HiddenHijabi

Well why can't the sunnis and shias find peace between each other now?

The Sunni/Shia divide goes right back to early Islam and the split in the community regarding the leadership of the Muslim community. There's also some major differences in Shia beliefs, practices and theology. Said split is unlikely to go away any time soon.

Pagan_Patriot

The Sunni/Shia divide goes right back to early Islam and the split in the community regarding the leadership of the Muslim community. There's also some major differences in Shia beliefs, practices and theology. Said split is unlikely to go away any time soon.

Oh, well hope they can fix it then. I watch Al Jazeera sometimes(Qatar news source), and whenever they mention the middle east, they mention tension between Sunnis and Shias, especially in Iraq.

HiddenHijabi

Oh, well hope they can fix it then. I watch Al Jazeera sometimes(Qatar news source), and whenever they mention the middle east, they mention tension between Sunnis and Shias, especially in Iraq.

I certainly know that in Iraq, issues were made worse by feelings of resentment in the Shia community (the majority of the population) being ruled over by a Sunni minority (which makes up about 1/3 of the population)including the then-ruling party, the Ba'ath party.

NocLue

There are a few people who seem to think we (those who follow a faith, particularly Christianity) only believe because we are afraid of hell. Which prompted the question the OP asks.

Is the only reason you obey the law of the land because you are afraid of jail? ;););)

Hell No. There are many personal gains from obeying the laws, than avoiding jail. And I prefer the term "follow" rather than obey which makes us look like slaves.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Nope. Either I follow a law because it is just the smart thing to do (such as wearing a seat belt and not driving at high speeds), or it's outside of my behavior to do so (such as starting fights or driving drunk) or I don't follow them because I do the "criminal behavior" anyways and find the laws concerning them to be foolish and even illegal themselves (i.e. telling an adult what they can and cannot put into their body when the two most deadliest substances are perfectly legal, and highly addictive, destructive, and deadly prescription pills are just fine, and everything else which causes fewer deaths and addictions combined is a no-no).

Manzila

I totally disagree with this. According to me i follow law because it makes people obident and stay in discipline.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I got to thinking. Sometimes people would violate the law- like when they would download songs from those downloading sites. They would continue to do it- but they were sure they would never get caught.
Do you think that maybe some people aren't afraid to violate the law because they are sure they will not get caught?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I got to thinking. Sometimes people would violate the law- like when they would download songs from those downloading sites. They would continue to do it- but they were sure they would never get caught.
Do you think that maybe some people aren't afraid to violate the law because they are sure they will not get caught?

An amount of certainty in people's minds drives everybody's behavior to an extent.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Unfortunately many people are far too sure and certain, which leads to many accidents that could have easily been avoided, i.e. loosing an eye for not wearing safety goggles, falling from a fatal height from not wearing fall protection, and crime is no different for some.
Myself, I was raised with the mentality that if you are willing to do the crime, then you also had better be willing to do the time.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I have also found myself less willing to do the time as I have made some real progress in my life, especially with Indiana having some of the most severe and stiffest laws in the nation.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
There are a few people who seem to think we (those who follow a faith, particularly Christianity) only believe because we are afraid of hell. Which prompted the question the OP asks.

Is the only reason you obey the law of the land because you are afraid of jail? ;););)
Actually laws aren't designed for people like me. Heck, I've never even had a speeding ticket or any kind of traffic ticket. Maybe I'm just well trained or unusually skilled at staying under the radar. Even as a teenager, I was super respectful to the police and never had any kind of problems with them. I guess it helps to be a natural diplomat, as we are so utterly disarming that no one pays attention. Muhwahahahahaha.... meanwhile the path to world domination continues on schedule.

Last edited:

ElizabethGould

Iik Onkaar
Actually laws aren't designed for people like me. Heck, I've never even had a speeding ticket or any kind of traffic ticket. Maybe I'm just well trained or unusually skilled at staying under the radar. Even as a teenager, I was super respectful to the police and never had any kind of problems with them. I guess it helps to be a natural diplomat, as we are so utterly disarming that no one pays attention. Muhwahahahahaha.... meanwhile the path to world domination continues on schedule.

I broke the law a LOT as a teenager, and yet somehow never got caught.:D

ZooGirl02

There are some laws that I will definitely disobey. If I were a Catholic business owner I would definitely disobey the HHS Mandate. If they ever passed a law forbidding me to go to Mass, I would still go.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
There are some laws that I will definitely disobey. If I were a Catholic business owner I would definitely disobey the HHS Mandate. If they ever passed a law forbidding me to go to Mass, I would still go.

Interesting...
I understand what you're saying about going to Mass. Heck, the only two ways I would ever go to Mass would be if I was attending a wedding/funeral/baptism/etc or if they tried to legally prevent people attending their own Church (as a protest at your right to).

The HHS Mandate is trickier though. It doesn't sound like you a merely arguing for greater recognition of religiously exempt institutions.
So if you owned a business, and you employed non-Catholics, you would be discriminating against them?

ZooGirl02

Interesting...
I understand what you're saying about going to Mass. Heck, the only two ways I would ever go to Mass would be if I was attending a wedding/funeral/baptism/etc or if they tried to legally prevent people attending their own Church (as a protest at your right to).

The HHS Mandate is trickier though. It doesn't sound like you a merely arguing for greater recognition of religiously exempt institutions.
So if you owned a business, and you employed non-Catholics, you would be discriminating against them?

I wouldn't call it discriminating against them. I call it obeying my conscience.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I wouldn't call it discriminating against them. I call it obeying my conscience.

Rather like a Hindu business owner complaining about employees eating beef on company time. Is the government forcing them to disobey their conscience by making them support such immoral and blasphemous behavior on the part of their employees?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

How do you feel about Muslim business owners asking all female employees to wear the niqab?
Bah...Mystic already beat me to it.

*pinches Mystic's whip and hides it under a rock as punishment for being the faster poster*

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
How do you feel about Muslim business owners asking all female employees to wear the niqab?
Bah...Mystic already beat me to it.

*pinches Mystic's whip and hides it under a rock as punishment for being the faster poster*

That's okay. I have fingernails.

And quick hands.

And pinpoint accuracy in my target.

And I also have patience. :ninja: