• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Obey The Law Because You're Afraid of Jail?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
There are a few people who seem to think we (those who follow a faith, particularly Christianity) only believe because we are afraid of hell. Which prompted the question the OP asks.

Is the only reason you obey the law of the land because you are afraid of jail? ;););)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I don't think obeying or believing should ever be done out of fear alone, although I guess it is legitimate to desire to avoid jail.

That said, while I acknowledge that fear of hell is not the only and certainly not the best reason to believe, I can't help but notice that some (few) people seem to think that it is reason enough. Once or twice I have actually been pressured with that "argument".

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
There are a few people who seem to think we (those who follow a faith, particularly Christianity) only believe because we are afraid of hell. Which prompted the question the OP asks.

Is the only reason you obey the law of the land because you are afraid of jail? ;););)

Good way to put it.

Also it depends on the law :D

gnomon

Well, considering the extent of federal and state law as well as numerous local codes it has been put forth that practically speaking we are all breaking the law at some point.

However, in regards to certain traffic laws, I obey them because I've already been to jail before. I have absolutely no desire to even put up with another confrontation with police over a malfunctioning taillight even less so for speeding or something along those lines.

But as the the "moral" laws such as stealing, assault, rape and murder I do not violate those laws because within myself I do not want to do such things. This is absent any religion or tradition.

It's also better to remember that the law is not preventative in nature. It is punitive.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Good way to put it.

Also it depends on the law :D

I agree.

Guayaquil and Ecuador in general is one of the worst countries for intellectual authority defense in the world I think.

While pirate dvds are indeed technically ilegal, you go to any dvd store and all the dvds in shelf are pirate. ALL OF THEM.

Any dvd store that tried otherwise would go broke too soon. No one cares, everone buys pirate. Why? Its cheap and the law is simply nnot enforced on this area.

Last edited by a moderator:

Me Myself

Back to my username
Well, considering the extent of federal and state law as well as numerous local codes it has been put forth that practically speaking we are all breaking the law at some point.

However, in regards to certain traffic laws, I obey them because I've already been to jail before. I have absolutely no desire to even put up with another confrontation with police over a malfunctioning taillight even less so for speeding or something along those lines.

But as the the "moral" laws such as stealing, assault, rape and murder I do not violate those laws because within myself I do not want to do such things. This is absent any religion or tradition.

It's also better to remember that the law is not preventative in nature. It is punitive.

Punishment is preventive in nature :p

If your system of punishment is working right, after one punishment you are preventing others to follow the example of the one punished and e one punished to do it again.

Me Myself

Back to my username

Ironically when I first read the thread title I was wondering if it was to counter the argument about "atheist not having morals because they have no reason to not do """whatever they want""" "

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish

No I obey the law, with few exceptions because I find our laws fair and good for the most part.

I'm not a malicious person by nature so its not really difficult.

I'll admit there might be a few laws I don't like or feel unnecessary but no. Jail doesn't keep me following the law

gnomon

Punishment is preventive in nature :p

If your system of punishment is working right, after one punishment you are preventing others to follow the example of the one punished and e one punished to do it again.

We could hope but it doesn't truly play out that way.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
We could hope but it doesn't truly play out that way.

Indeed. Many really don't seem to mind jail. And don't get me going on state prisons. There's a whole ton of problems our system needs to work out there.

HiddenHijabi

I've broken the law in the past and the threat of jail presented no barrier to me doing so, nor would it present any barrier if in the future, because I have close to no respect for the police or our court system (mostly because of an incident which happened).

Wirey

Fartist

I don't obey the law. I punch people who cut me off in traffic (or mess with my kid at the mall), I tell cops to go eff themselves, and I'd happily slash your tires if you park in my spot.

HiddenHijabi

If they dont mind jail, then that means it is not really a punishment.(for them)

I've spent some time in an actual prison (I was remanded) and it was in no way either a deterrent, nor did it cross my mind that to be convicted and locked up in said prison would have had any punishment effect.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I've spent some time in an actual prison (I was remanded) and it was in no way either a deterrent, nor did it cross my mind that to be convicted and locked up in said prison would have had any punishment effect.

Sure, a lot of people like you exist.

Gven a lot more people are bot like you in such sense, it works as a punishment for most people in society.