• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you love the Islamic God? (question to Atheists)

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A strange question to ask atheists who do not believe in existence of God. One can certainly love stories about pagan Gods and Goddesses, they are always funny and interesting. The Abrahamic God is a morose and jealous God, why would atheists love him?

And why is he a jealous type of God per Islam?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why ask atheists if they love a God they don't believe exists? It's a meaningless question.

It's not, it's perhaps the best question to ask them. It might be the root cause of their disbelief though they will claim it's due to lack of proof/evidence.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Here is why I think it might be the case that atheism and hate of Islam has correlation:

Islamic God is the only God with proof.
Atheists want to only believe on truth and proof.

They find a God that just watches (Deism) irrational.
At the same find other religions irrational.

While a Deist or Neopagan or Soothsayer, or whatever religion with no proof, they can convince themselves of God without evidence to what the true God is and be averse to the Islamic God, the nature of atheists is they only want to follow a proven and reasonable God. To me that is Islam, but what keeps them from it, is the hate they have for how Islamic God has been portrayed by Muslims.

So the one religion which has proof, though, they are averse to see the proofs for God and the truth with respect to religion it has, because, they don't like the Islamic God.

I don't fully blame them, because Muslims have done a bad job in displaying the proper justice God commands to and have ascribed a very warped and bad morality in terms of religion to God.

But this thread is to discuss all this and deal with reality and perhaps a solution.

So while they wouldn't mind a Deistic or Soothsayer Wiccan type God, they know those are irrational and lack proof.

The more reasonable one and the one with proof however is hated and so they are averse to God all together for that reason (my perspective).

Altfish

Veteran Member
I love fictional characters such as Batman.

My question to atheists is do you love the Islamic God?

If not, why not. If so, why so.
I like some fictional figures, I dislike others. I don't think I can say that I 'love' any of them
Personally, I'm not mad on the 'super heroes', but enjoyed fictional detectives, the Lord of the Rings characters, Harry Potter characters.
So I have not problem not liking the Islamic god, who is mainly a bad guy

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I like some fictional figures, I dislike others. I don't think I can say that I 'love' any of them
Personally, I'm not mad on the 'super heroes', but enjoyed fictional detectives, the Lord of the Rings characters, Harry Potter characters.
So I have not problem not liking the Islamic god, who is mainly a bad guy

Why do you consider him a bad guy?

epronovost

What do you make of the talk that God is light of the universe and is with all things?

Nothing much. That's just your standard PR bull**** for any deity. All deities that are meant to be adored and be called good are describe as these bringers of light and order that makes everything better. Talk is cheap. I'd rather look at what a deity specifically does and commands from its followers and how it treats its opponents and its enemies to make a judgement on their character. ''informed qualities'' are not the way to present a character.

Also the tone of Quran speaks of personality to me, so I'm kind of confused on this point.

The Quran isn't the work of God and God isn't an active character in it like he it in the OT for example. It's mostly the teachings of a man Muhammad.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Nothing much. That's just your standard PR bull**** for any deity. All deities that are meant to be adored and be called good are describe as these bringers of light and order that makes everything better. Talk is cheap. I'd rather look at what a deity specifically does and commands from its followers and how it treats its opponents and its enemies to make a judgement on their character. ''informed qualities'' are not the way to present a character.

The Quran isn't the work of God and God isn't an active character in it like he it in the OT for example. It's mostly the teachings of a man Muhammad.

So what do you consider as immoral teachings of the Islamic God?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This is what I suspected is true of most atheists. But I don't know if it's true, hence, why I'm asking. And also curious to know why.
For the "nasty" part?

A good starting point might be the Skeptic's Annotated Quran, specifically the headings "Injustice," "Intolerance," and "Cruelty and Violence."

Skeptic's Annotated Quran

Not all of the verses under those headings deal with God (many deal with Muhammad and his followers), but the ones that do might help you see how the portrayal of God in the Quran can come off to non-Muslims.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Salam

I love fictional characters such as Batman.

My question to atheists is do you love the Islamic God?

If not, why not. If so, why so.
Trying not to be too offensive, but do you mean in the same comedic manner (as Batman), since atheists mostly only have the depictions of any God that Islam portrays, much like so many other faiths, so a bit difficult given that we are hardly likely to believe any such even exists. I'm a bit neutral towards any God or gods actually, given that I'm not inclined to blame them or praise them for anything they might have created, but love is an obvious step too far. Given that Islam - apparently a product from God - doesn't appeal to me, any more than other religions, that is. :oops:

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
For the "nasty" part?

A good starting point might be the Skeptic's Annotated Quran, specifically the headings "Injustice," "Intolerance," and "Cruelty and Violence."

Not all of the verses under those headings deal with God (many deal with Muhammad and his followers), but the ones that do might help you see how the portrayal of God in the Quran can come off to non-Muslims.

I think this is because they imagine good and evil from an atheistic perspective ignoring the nature of it from Islamic perspective and don't understand how it has explained this in terms of belief and disbelief.

If you watch Starwars, you have to pretend to believe in the force, right?

From the viewpoint of how Islamic God and faith and disbelief relates to him in terms of good and evil, why is it wrong per your view to be intolerant towards evil and disbelief?

You have to understand the metaphysics of Quran and suspend disbelief for a bit. Play the scenario like a fiction book and tell me why is it wrong if the cursed tree and blessed tree are what they are, to punish the dirty tree and it's people?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Trying not to be too offensive, but do you mean in the same comedic manner (as Batman), since atheists mostly only have the depictions of any God that Islam portrays, much like so many other faiths, so a bit difficult given that we are hardly likely to believe any such even exists. I'm a bit neutral towards any God or gods actually, given that I'm not inclined to blame them or praise them for anything they might have created, but love is an obvious step too far. Given that Islam - apparently a product from God - doesn't appeal to me, any more than other religions, that is. :oops:

I'm trying to understand both apathy and hate. So far no one has answered they love the Islamic God. I'm trying to understand their perspectives as to why.

So perhaps expand why it doesn't appeal to you?

epronovost

So what do you consider as immoral teachings of the Islamic God?

Most of the main body of Islamic law like the fact its an absolutist dictatorship, the support for chattel slavery, sexism, death penalty for far more crimes than simply murder, etc.

RestlessSoul

It's not, it's perhaps the best question to ask them. It might be the root cause of their disbelief though they will claim it's due to lack of proof/evidence.

Though I am neither an atheist nor a Moslem, I think you may be into something here. Many of the atheists on this forum seem to have very definite ideas about the God they don’t believe in. I suppose it’s easier to disbelieve if you know exactly what it is you don’t believe in.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Most of the main body of Islamic law like the fact its an absolutist dictatorship, the support for chattel slavery, sexism, death penalty for far more crimes than simply murder, etc.

But I don't believe in any of these things. So why do you conclude it's the teachings of Islam?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
But what if it's still the only solution and cure?

Gods appear to be the cause of religious terrorism, murders misogyny, theft, slavery and so on.

Get rid of the god delusion and there's your cure.

epronovost

But I don't believe in any of these things. So why do you conclude it's the teachings of Islam?

Because all Islamic societies adopted those traits and only started to abandon them gradually, usually under pressure from other societies, in the last century in a half. Is this thread about you or is it about the Islamic God?