• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you hope the beliefs "hell exist, where non-believer will be punish for eternity" to come true?

Do you hope the beliefs "hell exist, where non-believer will be punish for eternity" to come true?

• I have this beliefs and i hope it to come true.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • I have this beliefs and i hope it not to come true.

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • I don't have this beliefs and i hope it to come true.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't have this beliefs and i hope it not to come true.

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • Other answer.

Votes: 9 25.0%

• Total voters

Erebus

Incidentally, which religions to teach such a thing? Are there any outside of Christianity and Islam? I am fairly certain that there are no others, but of course it is a big list to check.

I think Zoroastrianism has a similar hell, though I could be mistaken.

The ancient Greeks had Tartarus and the Vikings had Hel, though I don't know enough about them to say whether or not they were eternal. Modern followers of those religions might not necessarily believe in them as literal or eternal places of punishment either. I have heard at least one person describe Hel as a peaceful afterlife for example.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe eternal in this case means timeless. It isn't punishment. It is the natural result of bad choices.

Eternal torture isn't punishment? Okay. I'd call being in a fiery furnace for ever and ever amen a punishment, but whatever.

The natural result of making finite bad choices should be finite punishments. Or whatever you want to call it.

Last edited:

Muffled

Jesus in me
Eternal torture isn't punishment? Okay. I'd call being in a fiery furnace for ever and ever amen a punishment, but whatever.

The natural result of making finite bad choices should be finite punishments.Or whatever you want to call it.

I believe the concept of torture is far fetched. A person reacts according to his nature.

I believe this is not a necessary result. A person may wish it to be so but wishes do not create reality. As far as God is concerned He considers it fair to hold a person guilty for only one infraction.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe the concept of torture is far fetched. A person reacts according to his nature.

I believe this is not a necessary result. A person may wish it to be so but wishes do not create reality. As far as God is concerned He considers it fair to hold a person guilty for only one infraction.

Um, pretty much everyone is agreed that being burned continuously is not desirable. Nobody is going to react positively to that, regardless whether he is considered a good or a bad person. So what happens in Hell according to you? We all sit down and drink tea and talk about our day?

Yes, a person is guilty for a crime, but he should be punished accordingly for what he did. My step-father abused me when I was a little girl but I'd never want to see him be tortured forever. I don't think he deserves that.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
The belief of a literal Hell where folk are punished forever was one of the things that made me leave Christianity actually. It just seemed sick and barbaric to me. I think it's going to keep me away from Christianity for a long time. There is just absolutely no way to justify such a cruel and disturbing dogma.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The belief of a literal Hell where folk are punished forever was one of the things that made me leave Christianity actually. It just seemed sick and barbaric to me. I think it's going to keep me away from Christianity for a long time. There is just absolutely no way to justify such a cruel and disturbing dogma.

It's obviously the doctrine of sick, petty, malicious men, rather than anything a real deity would endorse.

Skwim

Veteran Member
You read the words. 'Hell' is not anywhere in this passage.
Please don't tell me you need things named before you can decide what they are. If everlasting/eternal/forever punishment isn't hell then what is it?

Another opinion:

http://www.tentmaker.org/articles/EternalPunishmentNotTrueToGreek.html

"The entire concept of eternal or everlasting punishment hinges primarily on a single verse of Scripture-- Matthew 25:46. This is the only place in the entire Bible where we find these two words together AND only in some Bibles. There are over a dozen English translations which do NOT contain the concept of "eternal punishment" on ANY of their pages, NOR the pagan concept of Hell."
Which "over a dozen" are they? because I took a count of the 51 Bible versions of Matthew 25:46 ..listed on the Biblegateway.com site and here's what I found

..1 used the term "eternal torment"
..7 use the term "forever punishment"
..9 use the term "everlasting punishment"
34 use the term "eternal punishment"

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Matthew 25:46: "And ἀπελεύσονται will go off οὗτοι these εἰς into κόλασιν lopping off αἰώνιον, everlasting, οἱ the δὲ but δίκαιοι righteous ones εἰς intoζωὴν life αἰώνιον everlasting." Here everlasting lopping off or cutting off is contrasted with everlasting life.
The Scripture at Revelation 21:8 explains the obviously symbolic lake of fire to be "second death" from which there is no resurrection. The punishment for wicked ones is "the judicial punishment of everlasting destruction." ( 2 Thessalonians 1:9)

Actually Matthew 25:46 can be read as permanent/everlasting penalty. In other words "true death" as opposed to the supposed "rising above death" to everlasting life, of the followers.

Tanakh tells us ALL go to Sheol - that is the FIRST DEATH.

There they await the Messiah whom will bring about the end, and Final Judgment. - for the evil - the SECOND DEATH.

Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which consumes with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Thessalonians can also be read the same way.

2Th 1:9 Who shall be punished with eternal destruction/DEATH cessation/from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
...If everlasting/eternal/forever punishment isn't hell then what is it?...

OK, one last time. Allow me a crude analogy to make my point, simply a thought experiment.

Let's say this here laptop is evil. Totally evil. Needs to be sent to 'hell'.
I launch it into the SUN! Closest thing to hellfire imaginable. It gets vaporized into plasma!
It is everlasting/eternal/forever punishment. Totally forever gone, eternally never a laptop ever again.
Is it in the sun forever? No, of course not. The event is over and done, in a instant. Poof.

It is the result of the punishment that is forever; the judgement's consequence, that is forever.
Not the actual punishing. Not an eternal burning. No 'hell' where it sits burning forever.

Skwim

Veteran Member
OK, one last time. Allow me a crude analogy to make my point, simply a thought experiment.

Let's say this here laptop is evil. Totally evil. Needs to be sent to 'hell'.
I launch it into the SUN! Closest thing to hellfire imaginable. It gets vaporized into plasma!
It is everlasting/eternal/forever punishment. Totally forever gone, eternally never a laptop ever again.
Is it in the sun forever? No, of course not. The event is over and done, in a instant. Poof.

It is the result of the punishment that is forever; the judgement's consequence, that is forever.
Not the actual punishing. Not an eternal burning. No 'hell' where it sits burning forever.
C'mon, that's a terrible . . . terrible analogy.

And in as much as you've chosen not to answer my question I'll leave with this from Biblestudytools.com. . . .

"Hell Bible Verses

Bible Verses About Hell There are many verses that discuss the subject of hell, for it is not a place where anyone wants to spend eternity, so it is important for Christians to know the Scriptures describing this horrible place.

Revelation 21:8
But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Matthew 25:46
And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Psalms 9:17
17 The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God."

etc.

etc.
source

Last edited:

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
C'mon, that's a terrible . . . terrible analogy.

And in as much as you've chosen not to answer my question I'll leave with this from Biblestudytools.com. . . .

Granted.

It is an answer, just not one accepted.

But it's sufficient I think to get my point across. As a Jew, this is my view of hell, and what I know the meaning is.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I was going to choose this option, "I don't have this beliefs and i hope it not to come true" but then I realised that I needed to go for the "Other answer" option.

Consequently my answer is...

"I don't have this belief and I am certain it will not happen"

rusra02

Premium Member
Actually Matthew 25:46 can be read as permanent/everlasting penalty. In other words "true death" as opposed to the supposed "rising above death" to everlasting life, of the followers.

Tanakh tells us ALL go to Sheol - that is the FIRST DEATH.

There they await the Messiah whom will bring about the end, and Final Judgment. - for the evil - the SECOND DEATH.

Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which consumes with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Thessalonians can also be read the same way.

2Th 1:9 Who shall be punished with eternal destruction/DEATH cessation/from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

I agree. When passing sentence on Adam, God said; "In the sweat of your face you will eat bread until you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken. For dust you are and to dust you will return.” (Genesis 3:19) God said the punishment for sin is death, not eternal torment.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No it doesn't. Read the words.
It means there's an everlasting hell of punishment for the unrighteous, such as the unbeliever and liar.
Maybe it doesn't say that. Maybe the warning is about Earth. Maybe forever means Man's offspring. Maybe the second death compares with the first death which was mankind in the story of Noah.
Someone has said that forever in the Bible means an age. Maybe God's will is for mankind to last the age of the Earth. Maybe the end of the age is when the sun goes out or explodes or whatever it is going to do. (I hear the universe will end too) If humankind does not care right for Earth then Earth will be hell for our offspring as it seems to me that for some their life is hell. Hell appears to be spreading.

glori

Maybe it doesn't say that. Maybe the warning is about Earth. Maybe forever means Man's offspring. Maybe the second death compares with the first death which was mankind in the story of Noah.
Someone has said that forever in the Bible means an age. Maybe God's will is for mankind to last the age of the Earth. Maybe the end of the age is when the sun goes out or explodes or whatever it is going to do. (I hear the universe will end too) If humankind does not care right for Earth then Earth will be hell for our offspring as it seems to me that for some their life is hell. Hell appears to be spreading.

Isa.45.18 "For thus sayeth the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it, he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited; I am the LORD; and there is none else". Ps.78.69 "-- like the earth which he hath established forever". Ps.115.16 "The heaven, even the heavens, are the LORD'S, but the earth he has given to the children of men"; .Eph.3.21 "Unto him be glory in all the Churches by Jesus Christ throughout all ages, world without end. Amen" Rev.11.15 "--The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord and his Christ".

Since Ps.146.4 says "His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth, in that very day his thoughts perish", and Job 3.17-19 says "There the wicked cease from troubling, and there the weary be at rest. there the prisoners rest together, they hear not the voice of the oppressor, the small and great are there, and the servant is free from his master", it is not likely that hell is where non believers go when they die.