• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you have questions about Traditional Judaism?

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
(^ this too shall pass)

You're being optimistic. A nice change of pace, but here misplaced.

metis and I have been doing this for years and I don't think we can stop.... unless you know of a Jokesters Anonymous that has a 10 step program. I'd go for a 12 step program, but metis is old.... -oops, I mean mature - and I don't think he can count higher than the number of fingers.

jaybird

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/13842-solomon
scroll down to the section entitled "Miraculous Power"
i have read about the ring before. its hard to understand. i thought the All High gave all wisdom to Solomon so his animal relationship would be covered under that. the ring on the other hand would mean the power is in the ring and not part of Solomon.
i always thought this was interesting cause of the way animals communicate with each other. its not the same as we communicate. they seem to be able to reed each others thoughts. like a big school of fish will move as one unit, how does the fish on one end know what the fish on the other is doing but they do.

rosends

i have read about the ring before. its hard to understand. i thought the All High gave all wisdom to Solomon so his animal relationship would be covered under that. the ring on the other hand would mean the power is in the ring and not part of Solomon.
i always thought this was interesting cause of the way animals communicate with each other. its not the same as we communicate. they seem to be able to reed each others thoughts. like a big school of fish will move as one unit, how does the fish on one end know what the fish on the other is doing but they do.
A quick review seems to indicate that the wisdom of Solomon allowed him to have control over animals by virtue of the ring and understand them simply because he is given the wisdom.

Tumah

Veteran Member
A quick review seems to indicate that the wisdom of Solomon allowed him to have control over animals by virtue of the ring and understand them simply because he is given the wisdom.
Isn't that part from the Qur'an? Its under the part called "Arabic literature" and the Qur'an is a reference.

rosends

Isn't that part from the Qur'an? Its under the part called "Arabic literature" and the Qur'an is a reference.
It sort of looks it (I can't tell if the attribution is for the specific parable or the entire ring concept). The medrash on Esther says he spoke the language of the birds, I recall the "Stories of King Solomon" from the Jewish Press in which he spoke to insects and I have seen mention that he even spoke to the trees and stones and water etc but that seems to be more about being attuned to nature. But I haven't gone back to the source material (and gave away my Legends of the Jews many years ago).

Tumah

Veteran Member
It sort of looks it (I can't tell if the attribution is for the specific parable or the entire ring concept). The medrash on Esther says he spoke the language of the birds, I recall the "Stories of King Solomon" from the Jewish Press in which he spoke to insects and I have seen mention that he even spoke to the trees and stones and water etc but that seems to be more about being attuned to nature. But I haven't gone back to the source material (and gave away my Legends of the Jews many years ago).
Haha, I used to read those stories in the JP too.
I think the ring was just for controlling sheidim. If you look at the gemarah in gitin 68a, it kind of seems like it wasn't the ring itself, but the fact that it had the Shem HaMeforash on it like the chain. I'd guess that Shlomo knew the Shem and put it on a ring for easy use. I think speaking to trees was a chochmah. There's a gemarah in sukkah 28a about Hillel. If you have a ben Yehoyada from the Ben Ish Chai available, he has a little piece on it with a how to.

rosends

Haha, I used to read those stories in the JP too.
I think the ring was just for controlling sheidim. If you look at the gemarah in gitin 68a, it kind of seems like it wasn't the ring itself, but the fact that it had the Shem HaMeforash on it like the chain. I'd guess that Shlomo knew the Shem and put it on a ring for easy use. I think speaking to trees was a chochmah. There's a gemarah in sukkah 28a about Hillel. If you have a ben Yehoyada from the Ben Ish Chai available, he has a little piece on it with a how to.
I don't have time to how-to on that one. I have to make a calf to eat for shabbos.

Last edited:

rosends

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
you obviously have spent little time in the slews of east Arkansas. we have a brown wabbaseka cypress that can kill a man in five seconds just from walking under it.
How does it do that? I never heard of this before.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
what is the age of mankind, when was adam and eve? not the earth.
The human-line/ape-line separation appears to have taken place somewhere around 6 million b.p., based on both the fossil record plus the results of genome analysis. As for me, I don't take the Adam/Eve (the Fall) narrative as being history.

Moishe3rd

Yehudi
Could someone please tell me what is the difference between the Jewish faith embodied by the Law of Moses and the "traditional Judaism" we see today?
Were the "traditions" a later addition, and if so what traditions were added that were not found in the Mosaic Law?

Thank you in advance. :)
Sure.
The Jews received both the Written Torah and the Oral Torah from G-d on Mt. Sinai.
The Written Torah is what is often called the First Five Books of the bible; or the Five Books of Moses; etc.
The Oral Torah is the explanation of the Written Torah.
This was passed on from Moses to Joshua and the Elders and then the Jewish People for over 1,000 years until the Destruction of the Second Temple where this was all in danger of being lost.
Over several hundred years, this Oral Torah was written down in the form called the Mishna and then the explanation of the Mishnayos called Gemora. At some point in time, this all came together in what is called the Talmud or Shas.
Over the centuries; additional commentaries and insights on the Torah; the Talmud; the other Writings and the Prophets, have been written and analyzed by the Great Rabbis for the last 2,000 years.
Some of these commentaries are now included in the Talmud.
All of this body of knowledge has been analyzed and codified in the last 400 years or so and written down in compendiums of Jewish Law.
All of this, and much, much more, is what comprises Orthodox Jewish observance today.