• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you have evidence for the fact, that you are rational?

Kfox

That yes is not evidence as such. It is you saying you have it, but you haven't actually presented it.
You didn't ask for it to be presented. To present evidence all I have to do is point to the countless arguments I've made over the years that I consider rational, and point to those arguments as evidence that I am a rational person.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
You didn't ask for it to be presented. To present evidence all I have to do is point to the countless arguments I've made over the years that I consider rational, and point to those arguments as evidence that I am a rational person.

Well, that you consider it, is first personal anecdotal evidence. So by that standard someone else could consider you irrational.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
The judgement "rational" means conclusions are developed from reasons.

When I have reasons, I am certainly rational.

The tricky part is how to develop a conclusion that the reason is a reason. Then those reasons for the reasons would need to be evaluated, and the reasons for those reasons would need to be evaluated, and this could go on forever.

Practically I think 2 layers is good enough. That's engineering. Engineering knows when to stop. If I have reasons for a conclusion, and I have reasons for those reasons, that's good for me.

Although a mathematician or philosopher might argue, it's never enough. But, if that's their argument I would ask for the reasons they used to make that conclusion, and then I would ask for the reasons for those reasons, and the reasons for those reasons, etc... If the argument cannot sustain itself based on its own premise, then the argument fails. This means there must be an end to the layers of questioning because the argument against is self-referentially flawed.

Therefore yes, I have evidence of my own rationality if I have reasons, because the alternative is not valid. How many layers of questioning I choose to employ to justify those reasons is irrelevant as long as I have reasons, that is evidence.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
The judgement "rational" means conclusions are developed from reasons.

When I have reasons, I am certainly rational.

The tricky part is how to develop a conclusion that the reason is a reason. Then those reasons for the reasons would need to be evaluated, and the reasons for those reasons would need to be evaluated, and this could go on forever.

Practically I think 2 layers is good enough. That's engineering. Engineering knows when to stop. If I have reasons for a conclusion, and I have reasons for those reasons, that's good for me.

Although a mathematician or philosopher might argue, it's never enough. But, if that's their argument I would ask for the reasons they used to make that conclusion, and then I would ask for the reasons for those reasons, and the reasons for those reasons, etc... If the argument cannot sustain itself based on its own premise, then the argument fails. This means there must be an end to the layers of questioning because the argument against is self-referentially flawed.

Therefore yes, I have evidence of my own rationality if I have reasons, because the alternative is not valid. How many layers of questioning I choose to employ to justify those reasons is irrelevant as long as I have reasons, that is evidence.

The point is that in practice it can work but as for justified true belief as for classical knowledge it could run into Agrippa's trilemma.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Does the fact that I have survived numerous dangerous situations indicate that I was rational as to the dangers involved and also as to my competence and abilities so as to not come to harm? Or was it all down to luck - even if such occurred so many times?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
The point is that in practice it can work but as for justified true belief as for classical knowledge it could run into Agrippa's trilemma.

But that is self-defeating because if it's true the point you're making cannot be justified. And that means, you have no point at all.