• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Have A Degree In Religion?

Do you have a degree in a religious studies field?

• Total voters

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
Just curious who the other religious scholars are (or how many are on RF) that have a degree in theology, divinity, or other area of religious study. It does not matter if the institution was accredited or not. Nor does the specific religion matter.

Last edited:

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I have one year from a school in Sweden, called Livets Ord. They called it a "Bible School" because it wasn't accredited, but it was a full week schedule for a year of studying Christian history, theology, etc. We read and studied almost every book in the Bible. Our teachers had PhD's and ThD's from multiple other organizations, so it was actually quite educational. I got a diploma somewhere in storage. :D Not that I care anymore, and I wouldn't call myself a scholar or even having a degree.

David1967

Premium Member
Just curious who the other religious scholars are (or how many are on RF) that have a degree in theology, divinity, or other area of religious study. It does not matter if the institution was accredited or not. Nor does the specific religion matter.

Went to a seminary (non degree). Took an online course in world religions which was fascinating, but no degree.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Don't have a degree in it, but frankly I've done the rough equivalent (perhaps greater) in my free time anyway. I see little to no benefit to making it official and several compelling reasons not to. For example, a huge turn-off for me with various programs is they are nearly always Christian, Bible, and monotheist-centric. But I gotta stop myself before I start going on a rant about that. :sweat:

Thinking outside of the usual box, to me my degrees in the sciences are religious degrees. I get other people don't see it that way, but sciences are a huge tool for studying the gods and it's a significant reason why I pursued the programs I did. I find studying the sciences to be a better approach for knowing the gods than looking at the old lore.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
Don't have a degree in it, but frankly I've done the rough equivalent (perhaps greater) in my free time anyway. I see little to no benefit to making it official and several compelling reasons not to. For example, a huge turn-off for me with various programs is they are nearly always Christian, Bible, and monotheist-centric. But I gotta stop myself before I start going on a rant about that. :sweat:

Thinking outside of the usual box, to me my degrees in the sciences are religious degrees. I get other people don't see it that way, but sciences are a huge tool for studying the gods and it's a significant reason why I pursued the programs I did. I find studying the sciences to be a better approach for knowing the gods than looking at the old lore.

Trust me, I can relate. My three favorite areas of interest are theology, history and astronomy. I have a greater appreciation for biology, chemistry and physics, as I use them in my job. My son enjoys science and math at school, and in helping him with his homework I am learning/relearning stuff that I forgot long ago. Right now it is in geology.

Though I have yet to figure out why in the hell I had to learn long division. That and I am not an engineer, so geometric proofs can kiss my butt. I'll leave the engineering crap to @Revoltingest

Last edited:

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
I have a bachelor's degree in English from IU (accredited) and a MA in Literature from UH (also accredited).

As it is impossible to study Dante, Chaucer, Milton, Spencer, Shakespeare, and so on without an understanding of Christian religious belief, I consider myself somewhat learned on that specifc subject (other religions, not so much).

My current Atheism was quite informed by the biblical study necessary to think through my lit classes . . . I'd probably still be a Christian if I had never been forced to think through those perspectives.

So where did you get your degrees?

allfoak

Alchemist
I have some formal study from when i was a youth.
I left academia and Christianity early on as soon as i realized that they had taken me as far as they were able.
My life has taken me through the study of all of the world's religions as well as obscure little sects and has ultimately led me to the study of myself.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
24 hour tally: 3 people responded as having a degree (1 voted twice). A few people talked about taking classes but did not have a degree. I will check it again tomorrow, and I think I set the poll to run for 7 days. FWIW, this poll along with a couple of others, are part of a social experiment I am conducting (and have been for ~6 months). Fact finding mission, if you will. :)

allfoak

Alchemist
24 hour tally: 3 people responded as having a degree (1 voted twice). A few people talked about taking classes but did not have a degree. I will check it again tomorrow, and I think I set the poll to run for 7 days. FWIW, this poll along with a couple of others, are part of a social experiment I am conducting (and have been for ~6 months). Fact finding mission, if you will. :)
So you are like Zuckerberg, conducting social experiments on your unwary subjects.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
So you are like Zuckerberg, conducting social experiments on your unwary subjects.

Yes.

But there is a method to my madness.

And no, I will not be disclosing on RF what it is that I am doing. That information will be saved for book #2. :)

allfoak

Alchemist
Yes.

But there is a method to my madness.

And no, I will not be disclosing on RF what it is that I am doing. That information will be saved for book #2. :)
This was happening on another message board that i was on as well.
I left because of it.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
This was happening on another message board that i was on as well.
I left because of it.

Your choice, though I think it is silly to leave a message board just because someone likes psychology and they conduct harmless, little experiments on the people that post there. It's not like they are publicizing names, addresses, etc. Regardless of their findings, everyone is still anonymous.

allfoak

Alchemist
Your choice, though I think it is silly to leave a message board just because someone likes psychology and they conduct harmless, little experiments on the people that post there. It's not like they are publicizing names, addresses, etc. Regardless of their findings, everyone is still anonymous.
There are moral and ethical issues involved.
I realize this is a public place so it is i who has to decide if i want to be a test dummy.