• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you go by your gut feelings?

Cooky

Veteran Member
I was just curious if other people go by their gut feelings about things, or if they actually make constant efforts to override those notions on a regular basis.

I was once taught something about a phrase used in the UK education system about a philosophy that encourages students to think twice about initial thoughts... Not sure if anyone knows what I'm talking about, but I read about the concept here initially a while back. The term included a persons first name, that's all I remember about it.

Thanks for your help.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I was just curious if other people go by their gut feelings about things, or if they actually make constant efforts to override those notions on a regular basis.

I was once taught something about a phrase used in the UK education system about a philosophy that encourages students to think twice about initial thoughts... Not sure if anyone knows what I'm talking about, but I read about the concept here initially a while back. The term included a persons first name, that's all I remember about it.

Thanks for your help.

I have severe gut instincts. 99% they come true over things that if I did otherwise, I would not be here. Too many many times almost getting hit by a car. Mostly, intuitions are stronger when it comes to my safety.

Almost like my body has an autopilot system that the mind isn't always aligned with when it goes off. We're more our body and brains than our minds. I don't know if anyone hasn't had gut experiences. Maybe we just call it different things and put external or internal sources behind it when it happens so often it can't be explained.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

Thanks for your help.
I do use my intuition mostly every day yes :)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I prefer to call it an "educated guess" rather than gut instinct.

But in some rare cases, i.e. jumping out of the way of a speeding car before you have properly registered its approach, that's gut instinct.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Thanks for your help.

I practice using my gut occasionally to mix things up but for the most part analyse things.

A Vestigial Mote

I tend to notice most that I have such "gut reactions" or feelings when assessing the intentions of a person I am face-to-face with. I get "vibes" quite often, and have rarely found this sense to be off-base. The strange thing is trying to describe this to people afterward. In the moment, it seems so obvious, because there is something about the overall situation that my mind is assessing and relays all the information to me, making a solid case. But without all that, it usually sounds like I was just judging the person pretty harshly before they had actually done anything.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

Thanks for your help.

I think it depends quite often as to what the gut feeling (intuition) is about. I see such as the unconscious having faster (and more extensive) access to all that one has as information, and hence it might be that one comes up with a correct answer sooner than if one tried to think through an issue. An example for me was coming up with the answer to a technical problem that I couldn't solve whilst awake but I did whilst asleep, and which then caused me to wake up. That seems to me what intuition does, and as such, probably is quite reliable.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I try to avoid it. It doesn't cime easily for me (particularly when dealing with other people), and unless it's absolutely necessary to think and act quickly it's best not to.

PureX

Veteran Member
My intuition is usually pretty good, but as I've gotten older I've learned that very few things in life actually require that I react quickly. So I tend to wait, and take the time to consciously consider what my intuition is telling me.

Funny thing is, while I'm considering my options, I find that many issues will manage to simply resolve themselves without my acting, or reacting, at all.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
My intuition is usually pretty good, but as I've gotten older I've learned that very few things in life actually require that I react quickly. So I tend to wait, and take the time to consciously consider what my intuition is telling me.

Funny thing is, while I'm considering my options, I find that many issues will manage to simply resolve themselves without my acting, or reacting, at all.

My intuition is not a decision maker. It is to explore questions and answers.

PureX

Veteran Member
My intuition is not a decision maker. It is to explore questions and answers.
I find intuition is especially good at helping me assess other people. What state of mind they're in. I also find it's good, in my case, at helping me find alternative solutions to design problems. But that may be really more a matter of years of practice coming into play, subconsciously.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
To me "gut feelings" can be emotional urges or intuition. Intuition for me is not laden with emotion but comes as an impulse to do something.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Thanks for your help.
I don’t go by them, but I certainly listen to them and ask myself why they are telling me what they tell me.

GameChanger

I dunno - I've been fairly inconsistent with my approaches to the world in recent memory.

I'm definitely in touch with my intuitive/instinctive side but it often leads me to charge headfirst into situations incautiously, leaving me to clean up the mess and prop up the benefits left behind in the wake.

I guess it's characteristic I'm trying to correct to some extent but extreme caution and resignation to rational intellect only can be paralysing and leave a person simply existing without necessarily being a part of anything meaningful.

I guess I need to do some repair work on my frontal lobe which, ironically, was once very sharp.