• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe in hell? If so, what would it be like?

SAHAJANANDA

We have two aspects in us. One that comes from God and another that is born of ignorance. The first we call the image and likeness of God and the seclnd is the human soul. The soul is combination of both spiritual and material,good and evil. The purpose of life is to trascend the soul and discover our image and likeness of God which is pure. The soul needs to be purified. Both good and evil are relative. They need to be purified. Heaven and hell are places of the purification of soul. Heaven and hell are two sides of the coin of purgatory. Those who do good actions and acquire postive karma are purified in heaven. Those who do evil actilns are purified in hell. Hell and heaven are temporary states.this purification may happen on this earthly life or after death. Hell and heaven are temporary states. Our image and likeness of God is beyond hell and heaven. It is in a state of eternity. Our soul is in a state of dream. Some may have good dreams and some may have bad dreams. Good dreams are heaven and bad dreams are hell. We need to wake up from dreams and discover our image and likeness of God which is always in the presence of God.

Last edited:

Baroodi

If you are not believing in God definitely you will not believe in the afterlife which is real and mandatory in the light of divine justice. I would advise all atheist to take it step by step. First they need to get a conclusive evidence to deny the existence of God, and this is something they can never find. God is there, the afterlife is there and it is either the hell or the paradise.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Revelation 20:13, 14, KJ: “The sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire.” (So the dead will be delivered from hell. Notice also that hell is not the same as the lake of fire but will be cast into the lake of fire.)

Ecclesiastes 9:5, 10: “The living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all . . . All that your hand finds to do, do with your very power, for there is no work nor devising nor knowledge nor wisdom in Sheol, the place to which you are going.” (If they are conscious of nothing, they obviously feel no pain.)

Revelation 20:10: "And the Devil who was misleading them was hurled into the lake of fire and sulfur, where both the wild beast and the false prophet already were; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever." (Even the Devil is thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur so, how could he torment wicked individuals forever?)

In the Scriptures fiery torment is associated with destruction and death. So,those hurled into the lake of fire will be held under restraint, or “jailed,” in death throughout eternity.

And remember...even Jesus went to hell but didn't stay there. (The Bible writer Luke tells us: “Neither was [Jesus] forsaken in Hades [hell, King James Version] nor did his flesh see corruption.” (Acts 2:31)

Your first verses up there, are not about "Hell."

They are Hades/Sheol, where ALL the dead go to await final Judgment, at the end.

Revelation was written long after the "events" and has confused what was written earlier. It has both Hell fire torture, and contrasting "original" Sheol ideas - with no Hell or Hell fire torture - as already shown.

They are destroyed TOTALLY in the lake of fire.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I don't believe in a literal hell. It is just a name for some very difficult mental states, I think. It can't very well make sense otherwise.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
You believe all you want. Hell is real and here is the proof of it……..
Lk 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
Lk 16:24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
Lk 16:25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.

We have already explained this multiple times.

This is Hades/Sheol where ALL of the dead go - to await a later final Judgment.

This is why both are in the same place.

He is not being tortured - he has a burning desire, realizing he has placed himself far (in the line-up) from the "bosom" of the righteous.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
If you are not believing in God definitely you will not believe in the afterlife which is real and mandatory in the light of divine justice. I would advise all atheist to take it step by step. First they need to get a conclusive evidence to deny the existence of God, and this is something they can never find.

I can give you a certificate for a very reasonable fee, if that is all the problem remaining. ;)

God is there, the afterlife is there and it is either the hell or the paradise.

Not under my watch!

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
If you are not believing in God definitely you will not believe in the afterlife which is real and mandatory in the light of divine justice. I would advise all atheist to take it step by step. First they need to get a conclusive evidence to deny the existence of God, and this is something they can never find. God is there, the afterlife is there and it is either the hell or the paradise.

And likewise - you have not proven to us the existence of any religion's God.

Personally I don't believe in hell. The absurdity that evil souls are to burn in the mines of sulphur with the devil thrusting a stick up your butt for all eternity is surreal but also unjust and slightly overkill. There are other slightly more pleasant beliefs as to what hell is all about - please by all means share your essential opinions and views here.

I have no personal religious beliefs (but religion does interest me.) My guess is that hell would be any place of unbearable suffering.