• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do We Really ‘Lose Our Filter’ as We Age?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
So if any of you idiotic young people do something stupid, don't blame me if I tell it like it is. You should have known better. And if I'm tactless, don't blame me you stupid people. It's not my fault - it's my brain. :D:confused::mad:o_O;)

Many of us will have experienced some unexpected honesty from the older people in our lives. Whether it’s grandma telling you your outfit is unflattering or grandpa saying he doesn’t like the meal you’ve prepared, we often explain it away by saying “Oh, don’t mind grandpa, he’s just lost his filter”.

But do we really have a “filter”, and do we lose it as we get older?
Researchers have linked age-related shrinking in the frontal lobes with declines in inhibitory control and social cognition. Studies have also found older adults respond differently to socially awkward situations than younger adults.

For example, older adults have more difficulty recognising when someone’s said something embarrassing or tactless, and show poorer understanding of sarcasm.

So as we get older, normal aging processes in our brains may make it much easier for things to slip out through our “filters”.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
So if any of you idiotic young people do something stupid, don't blame me if I tell it like it is. You should have known better. And if I'm tactless, don't blame me you stupid people. It's not my fault - it's my brain. :D:confused::mad:o_O;)

Many of us will have experienced some unexpected honesty from the older people in our lives. Whether it’s grandma telling you your outfit is unflattering or grandpa saying he doesn’t like the meal you’ve prepared, we often explain it away by saying “Oh, don’t mind grandpa, he’s just lost his filter”.

Researchers have linked age-related shrinking in the frontal lobes with declines in inhibitory control and social cognition. Studies have also found older adults respond differently to socially awkward situations than younger adults.

For example, older adults have more difficulty recognising when someone’s said something embarrassing or tactless, and show poorer understanding of sarcasm.

So as we get older, normal aging processes in our brains may make it much easier for things to slip out through our “filters”.
Well, I lost a bit of my filter after i become more secure and certain about my own being. I may answer a bit harder than before because I am no longer "afraid" of confrontation in discussion.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I guess i never had a filter, i tell it as it is. This trait has often got me in deep poo

exchemist

Veteran Member

I think this is cobblers. What really happens is that, as we age, we eventually no longer give a monkey's what other people think of us. So we say what we think.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My filter is based upon RF's rules.
Be advised that no one here knows my real
opinion of their intelligence, education, honesty,
appearance, maturity, aroma, sartorial judgment,
hygiene, ethnicity, nationality, politics, religion,
& taste in music or art.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I doubt that one loses their filter as they age. But I do know as I've become more secure in how I see myself, that I am more willing to assert myself as need be.

RestlessSoul

My filter is based upon RF's rules.
Be advised that no one here knows my real
opinion of their intelligence, education, honesty,
appearance, maturity, aroma, sartorial judgment,
hygiene, ethnicity, nationality, politics, religion,
& taste in music or art.

Aroma?

I smell a rat...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Aroma?

I smell a rat...
Oh, that's just Willard.
He's here getting supplies before shipping off to Ukraine.
R.5a9ce58a914affca66bc9026b9480b2a

☆Dreamwind☆

Perhaps if they may be suffering from something like dementia or something. It also could be that some decided they no longer care.

wellwisher

We use filters to spare the feelings of other people and/or not create confrontation, due to hurt feelings. Truth is less important to emotional thinkers. They want their feeling massaged by social standards. But as you get older, there is no up side to this behavior.

For example, a parent who has a child, who wishes to be chef, may make a big deal when their child cooks for them, to encourage their dreams. The food may taste like crap, but you choose your words carefully, to sugar coat any criticism; stay positive.

As you get to older in age; elderly, and accept the reality of your final place in the world, you may look back at life and may have experience of not being prepared for the harsh realities of the real world. Strangers within any new chef job, may not float your boat, but may be competitive and even critical of each other. The child needs to be prepared; reality.

The elder person sees longer term, due to the wisdom of a longer life, in the world of hard knocks. He sees the advantage of being objective and honest and will give the child some friendly fire, to help them toughen up for reality. The mother or father may not look that far ahead, to the day when their child may leave and the world of harsh reality stops floating their child's boat. But Grandpa knows better and is willing to take the heat for the good of the child. Truth is good. Lying to protect feelings is a bandaid that does not address future problems, that harsh reality will cause; melts the snow flakes. This is why the Left does not like merit; emotional thinking.

When I was young; pre-teen, I already had firm spiritual and moral values, such as always telling the truth, even if it made me worse off. The trick to truth telling was not to do anything you may had to lie about; live a good honest life you can be proud of. This truth telling created problems with reality, during my teen years. It was the time, as an adolescent, to experiment with new drastic changes in culture; hippy.

My parents would ask my brother and me questions, to see what we were doing. My bother would tell them what they wanted to hear, but I would tell the truth. I was now not always playing by my parent's rules, but I still felt the need to tell the truth. This placed both my parents and myself in an awkward position. I admitted to violating the family law; no drinking alcohol, for example, and had to be punished. Yet I was being honest and told the truth, which was also important to them. They knew my brother was lying, but without his admission, they had no evidence. They also knew he was the real rebel, and was more than likely way worse than me. They could not, in good faith, punish the lessor of the two sons, for telling the truth about breaking the law. So they applied pressure.

One day after many awkward arguments over the truth, I told them, if you do not wish to know the truth of my breaking the rules, as young man, do not ask me, since I will not lie. I also reassured them I was not over doing anything. However, I still wanted to be part of the activities of the wilder experimental boys my age and old, but in a more guarded way. After that, there were no more targeted questions and they relied on me to find a reasonable path and stay safe. They gauged me by my grades in school, which stayed as A's. I did not have my grandparent present; at home, to say the obvious for me and my parents.

PureX

Veteran Member
Perhaps as our time on Earth grows shorter, our inclination to put up with the constant repetition of human stupidity in life deteriorates. As does the fear of social rejection or reprisal for speaking our minds about it. We just don't care that it wounds your ego, or deflates your sense of self-importance.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
There may be two or more things of different natures acting fairly independently there.

Psychologically, it is just natural to censor ourselves less as we age and we find less reason to care whether we are pleasing other people. When young we have a far higher need of approval for various reasons, including physical security.

Neurologically, it is probably true that at least some people lose some measure of the ability to consider what we are saying and how it will affect others.

And culturally, the meaning of words and even ideas certainly certainly chances along the decades. It probably happens that some people just aren't aware of the impact of what they say to younger people (and vice-versa), particularly in matters of identity, sexuality, and moral and cultural values.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson

I remember when my mother turned 65 she said she was glad to be 65, now she was at the age where she could say whatever she wanted and people would just chalk it u to her being old