• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do we all worship the same God?

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
michel said:
Hi Peace,

Part Quote.."We all have the same God whether we like it or not, for God who created us is unique and has no associate.

May our dear God guide us to His truth and His everlasting light, amen

!!".........

Fruballs for that; I find it a resoundingly wonderful mentality to adopt - it is a great many more people do not share your views; the world would be much more at peace if they did.:)
Hi Michel and peace be with you,

Thank you for your nice compliments which I do appreciate!!! :)
May peace, love and tolerance prevail, amen!!

Peace

Melody

Allah will say: "This is a day on which the truthful will profit from their truth: theirs are gardens, with rivers flowing beneath,- their eternal Home: Allah well-pleased with them, and they with Allah: That is the great salvation, (the fulfilment of all desires).
To Allah doth belong the dominion of the heavens and the earth, and all that is therein, and it is He Who hath power over all things. (Quran, 5: 110-120)
[/QUOTE]
Peace,
It is not my intent to cause offense...merely to clarify why people think we have the same God when the tenets of the various faiths differ so drastically.

At the risk of being politically incorrect, I do not believe in the Quran so quoting it to me to prove that Jesus is not God doesn't mean anything to me. If anything, it only reinforces the idea that either one is wrong, intentionally or unintentionally, that God does not exist and we're making this all up...or that God is playing some kind of game with us.

Sabio

Peace said:
Hello Kathy and peace be with you,

We Muslims believe that Prophet Muhammed, peace be upon him, is the seal of prophets and no prophet will ever come after him, and the Quran is the last revelation that God revealed to Prophet Muhammed through Angel Gabriel peace be upon him as a last universal message for the whole human beings.
God is one, He is the One who created the whole human beings and there is no god beside God.

Peace
Peace,

I did not mean to insult you with that last post, I am truly trying to understand but I'm having trouble with some of the verses of the Qu'ran in light of the recent world events concerning radical Islamists. If you read the weblink in full there are verses from the Qu'ran quoted which seem to instruct Muslims in violence such as:

"Fight and slay the pagans (infidels) wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem of war." Quran, Sura 9:5
Al Anfal (The Spoils): "Let not the unbelievers think they will ever get away... strike terror into the enemy of God and your enemy... rouse the faithful to arms! If they (the non-Muslims) incline to peace (accept Islam) make peace with them."
Sura 8:59

Does modern day Islam just ignore these passages? Is there an updated version I can read somewhere that will straighten out these seeming contradictions to the Islamic call for peace? Do you believe these passages from the Qu'ran?

The answer that you gave Kathy regarding Joseph Smith is much the same perspective that Christians hold of Mohammed. In the book of Revelations (Bible) it is written that no one can add (additional scripture) or take away from the Bible under severe penalty from God, Mohammed and Joseph Smith both fall into this category.

Sabio

Sabio

Peace said:
Peace be with you Melody,

We all have the same God whether we like it or not, for God who created us is unique and has no associate.

May our dear God guide us to His truth and His everlasting light, amen!!
Peace
Peace,

You response to Melody makes Jesus a liar! He said that He was the Son of God, and God testifed to this by saying "Hear My Son". How can you believe Jesus is a great prophet if he is a liar?

Please explain why all of the prophets in the Bible agree and many of their prophecies point to the coming of Jesus, and no reference is made by any of them to Mohammed?

Do you believe the Qu'ran has been corrupted and changed by men over the year (as you stated the Bible has been)?

I am not convinced that Islam and Christianity follow the same God.

Sabio

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Sabio said:
Peace,

I did not mean to insult you with that last post, I am truly trying to understand but I'm having trouble with some of the verses of the Qu'ran in light of the recent world events concerning radical Islamists. If you read the weblink in full there are verses from the Qu'ran quoted which seem to instruct Muslims in violence such as:

"Fight and slay the pagans (infidels) wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem of war." Quran, Sura 9:5
Al Anfal (The Spoils): "Let not the unbelievers think they will ever get away... strike terror into the enemy of God and your enemy... rouse the faithful to arms! If they (the non-Muslims) incline to peace (accept Islam) make peace with them."

Does modern day Islam just ignore these passages? Is there an updated version I can read somewhere that will straighten out these seeming contradictions to the Islamic call for peace? Do you believe these passages from the Qu'ran?

The answer that you gave Kathy regarding Joseph Smith is much the same perspective that Christians hold of Mohammed. In the book of Revelations (Bible) it is written that no one can add (additional scripture) or take away from the Bible under severe penalty from God, Mohammed and Joseph Smith both fall into this category.

Sabio
Actually, Sabio, that's a poor argument. Given that when Revelations was written the NT did not exist it can only refer to Revelations itself, not the whole Bible.

James

Sabio

IacobPersul said:
Actually, Sabio, that's a poor argument. Given that when Revelations was written the NT did not exist it can only refer to Revelations itself, not the whole Bible.

James
James, I would like to refer you to a link on dating the NT books http://www.carm.org/questions/written_after.htm .

Although all of the NT books may have been assembled into the NT at a later date, all were written during the first century AD.

The fact that Revelations was placed as the last book of the NT: this has to be accepted on faith, that divine influence from God achieved this placement by man, thus the references to adding or removing from the BIble are at the end of the Bible and apply to the whole Bible.

Sabio

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
IacobPersul said:

James
I agree with James.
It is also Quite possable that further important writings from Jesus time will come to light and be accepted by all Christiansas true teachings of Christ. I can not believe that these would not then be added to future Bibles.

Terry

Sabio

Terrywoodenpic said:
I agree with James.
It is also Quite possable that further important writings from Jesus time will come to light and be accepted by all Christiansas true teachings of Christ. I can not believe that these would not then be added to future Bibles.

Terry

How does that prove/disprove the idea that we all worship the same God?

Sabio

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Sabio said:
Terry,

How does that prove/disprove the idea that we all worship the same God?
Sabio
I refer you to my earlier postings Which you might not have seen.

If we are to believe that God Created every thing, and I do, There can only One Creator God.
Religions may Believe only they, worship the One True God. And so Deny that Others worship the same God.
This must be a falacy because there can only be one Creator, by definition. so all religions like it or not. If they worship a God are worshiping the same God.

quot-top-left.gif
Quote:
quot-top-right.gif

quot-by-left.gif
Originally Posted by Melody
quot-by-right.gif

quot-top-right-10.gif

So you're saying that we all worship the same game God but some of us are just getting the actual method wrong

I believe Christianity and following the teaching of Christ is the Way.

But if I am right or wrong in this, It is the same God we all worship.

I do not think we will be Judged on our beliefs but on our actions. And for me that is my actions as compared to Jesus' teachings.

Terry
_____________________________________-
Blessed are the pure of heart, they shall behold their God.

Sabio

Terrywoodenpic said:
I refer you to my earlier postings Which you might not have seen.

If we are to believe that God Created every thing, and I do, There can only One Creator God.
Religions may Believe only they, worship the One True God. And so Deny that Others worship the same God.
This must be a falacy because there can only be one Creator, by definition. so all religions like it or not. If they worship a God are worshiping the same God.

So you're saying that we all worship the same game God but some of us are just getting the actual method wrong

I believe Christianity and following the teaching of Christ is the Way.

But if I am right or wrong in this, It is the same God we all worship.

I do not think we will be Judged on our beliefs but on our actions. And for me that is my actions as compared to Jesus' teachings.

Terry
_____________________________________-
Blessed are the pure of heart, they shall behold their God.
Ok I'm with you Terry...

I agree that there is only one God and Creator of the universe.

I can see why people think that we are all worshipping the same God (and its very politically correct to say so).

But there some important differences in the attributes or personality of our God (Christian/Jew) from other religions, which leads me to believe that the others do not know the same God we worship.

Sabio

ch'ang

artist in training
Why, if the array of gods are the same, does the Bible warn against worshipping false gods
very simple because the bible was written by people who wanted everyone to become christian

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Sabio said:
James, I would like to refer you to a link on dating the NT books http://www.carm.org/questions/written_after.htm .

Although all of the NT books may have been assembled into the NT at a later date, all were written during the first century AD.

The fact that Revelations was placed as the last book of the NT: this has to be accepted on faith, that divine influence from God achieved this placement by man, thus the references to adding or removing from the BIble are at the end of the Bible and apply to the whole Bible.

Sabio
Sabio,

I agree with you generally but not the argument you raised. I have to ask you whose Bible? Mine or yours? You see, I'm fairly sure yours has only 66 books, which means you removed some (this was done during the Reformation), the RCs have more than that, we have more than them, and the Ethiopian Orthodox have more than we do. The idea that there is one fixed canon of Scripture set at an early date in Church history is a myth, pure and simple. I agree with you in that I believe neither Joseph Smith nor Mohammed were prophets, I just don't agree with your reasoning.

James

DreamQuickBook

ch'ang said:
very simple because the bible was written by people who wanted everyone to become christian
Are you kidding me? 90% of the Bible was written for the Jews and most of the New Testiment was teaching Christians how to be Christians, not teaching how to "convert" people.

Sabio

IacobPersul said:
Sabio,

I agree with you generally but not the argument you raised. I have to ask you whose Bible? Mine or yours? You see, I'm fairly sure yours has only 66 books, which means you removed some (this was done during the Reformation), the RCs have more than that, we have more than them, and the Ethiopian Orthodox have more than we do. The idea that there is one fixed canon of Scripture set at an early date in Church history is a myth, pure and simple. I agree with you in that I believe neither Joseph Smith nor Mohammed were prophets, I just don't agree with your reasoning.

James
James,

I would like to study the bible (canon) issue further. Where can I view the Romania bible in english?

Thanks

Sabio

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Sabio said:
James,

I would like to study the bible (canon) issue further. Where can I view the Romania bible in english?

Thanks

Sabio
Er...you can't. The Romanian Bible is in Romanian. I guess what you mean is, where can you get an Orthodox Bible in English. Unfortunately, this is a little difficult as there is, as yet, no complete Orthodox translation of the Bible into English, we not being a traditional Orthodox land.

The New Testament is identical to everyone else's (so far as I know) but it's the Old Testament that's different. We use the Septuagint, which has more books and also differs in some places from the Masoretic Text used by Protestants (it's also older than the MT). You can get an old translation of the Septuagint into English, but it's very archaic. At the moment, I'm waiting for the Orthodox Study Bible to be completed (the New Testament is already done) but until then I'm using the NKJV cross referenced with my Romanian Bible (which luckily I can read pretty well).

James

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Sabio said:
Peace,

You should go and read the verses before in order to understand the verse. Of course by reading just one verse without puting it into it's context that will lead to misunderstanding of the verse.
Chapter 9 verse 4 says:
"(But the treaties are) not dissolved with those Pagans with whom ye have entered into alliance and who have not subsequently failed you in aught, nor aided any one against you. So fulfil your engagements with them to the end of their term: for Allah loveth the righteous."
So when God told the Muslims to fight the pagans whenever they find them, He talks about those who are at war with the Muslims, who are enemies to Muslims.

The same thing here, the verses before say:
If thou fearest treachery from any group, throw back (their covenant) to them, (so as to be) on equal terms: for Allah loveth not the treacherous.
Let not the unbelievers think that they can get the better (of the godly): they will never frustrate (them).
Against them make ready your strength to the utmost of your power, including steeds of war, to strike terror into (the hearts of) the enemies, of Allah and your enemies, and others besides, whom ye may not know, but whom Allah doth know. Whatever ye shall spend in the cause of Allah, shall be repaid unto you, and ye shall not be treated unjustly.
But if the enemy incline towards peace, do thou (also) incline towards peace, and trust in Allah: for He is One that heareth and knoweth (all things). 8: 58-61

Here peace doesn't mean that they must embrace Islam as you said, it means if those who fight Muslims want peace then Muslims have to choose peace and live in peace with them. We Muslims don't impose our religion on others. God says "no compulsion in religion"

The best prove of what I said, and which show that Islam is a religion of peace and not a religion of violence, are the following verses:

"It may be that Allah will grant love (and friendship) between you and those whom ye (now) hold as enemies. For Allah has power (over all things); And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
Allah forbids you not, with regard to those who fight you not for (your) Faith nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them: for Allah loveth those who are just. Allah only forbids you, with regard to those who fight you for (your) Faith, and drive you out of your homes, and support (others) in driving you out, from turning to them (for friendship and protection). It is such as turn to them (in these circumstances), that do wrong." (60: 7-9)

Does modern day Islam just ignore these passages?
We Muslims never ignore any verse from the Quran, for the whole Quran is a guidance for human being, and we are so proud of our religion because it's a religion which advocates peace and tolerance

Is there an updated version I can read somewhere that will straighten out these seeming contradictions to the Islamic call for peace? Do you believe these passages from the Qu'ran?

For your information, we Muslims have one and only one copy of the Quran. One same copy of the Quran in Arabic that exist wherever you go in the world. It is the same one which was revealed to Prophet Muhammed peace be upon him.

Peace

Sabio

Peace said:
We Muslims never ignore any verse from the Quran, for the whole Quran is a guidance for human being, and we are so proud of our religion because it's a religion which advocates peace and tolerance

For your information, we Muslims have one and only one copy of the Quran. One same copy of the Quran in Arabic that exist wherever you go in the world. It is the same one which was revealed to Prophet Muhammed peace be upon him.

Peace
Peace, Thank you for the additional readings. I can see how some radical Islamists misinterpret these writings to suite their own violent philosophies.

What is the Islamic belief regarding heaven and hell? Is God's decision to put you in either place based on "works" or "faith".

Sabio

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Sabio said:
Peace, Thank you for the additional readings. I can see how some radical Islamists misinterpret these writings to suite their own violent philosophies.
You are welcome Sabio!

What is the Islamic belief regarding heaven and hell? Is God's decision to put you in either place based on "works" or "faith".
Sabio

Whoever believes in God and obeys Him and believes in His Messengers and what He revealed to them will enter Paradise. Allah forgives all sins except to associate somebody or something with Him.

Peace

Steve

As i said in my last post,

"True there is one Creator, but we dont all worship him. I belive God is the Father, The Son, and the Holy Spirit. If you disagree then you have just admited you worship a different god."

With that in mind I can't see how people can say we all worship the same God. If i say Jesus is God and you say he isnt, then we obviously dont worship the same God. Are people so overcome by the whole "tolerance" shift thats going on that they now feel they have to say everything is the same, when it clearly isnt?

If someone choose to worship a rock they found in their backyard as their god, would you claim that they worship the same god you do? If so then really their is no distinction between the true God and what the next person decides God is, However for those who belive there really is a True God as i do, then they must make a distinction from false gods.

Montreville

Is there really a debate on who's in charge up-there, around here, in the heavens, on the ground, in the earth,in the plants,animals, beings...,? It's a real mystery no matter how you view the creator and a real wonder here in life as we know it. The universe might be closer to the answer and question respectfully. Just to fuel your thought a little bit, munch on this awhile;..., Split half the reward for anyone that can set you up an appiontment with THE UNIVERSAL GOD..., something tells me that we are mart-view modems and the UNIVERSAL GOD(CREATOR) is the main frame COMPUTER! The DNA is the witness and essence -(PROOF) that flows through each and everyone of us #528. We are all part of this stage called life- leaving our vapor of light as witness towards our individual choices. We make life our home for now, let's hope that other's treat our home in a good way. Bless You & Yours