• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do we all worship the same God?

Melody

Every so often I see someone say that we all worship the same God...but how can that be if the basic philosophies differ? For example, how can a muslim or Christian ever believe they worship the same God since there is a vast difference in the belief systems?

Looking forward to the responses.

cardero

Citizen Mod
The GOD I have gotten to know requires no worship, no recognition, no belief, no faith so it stands to reason that it may not be the same god that has been documented throughout history.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Melody said:
Every so often I see someone say that we all worship the same God...but how can that be if the basic philosophies differ? For example, how can a muslim or Christian ever believe they worship the same God since there is a vast difference in the belief systems?

Looking forward to the responses.
I definitely believe we all worship the same God though we understand Him differently. I started a thread a number of weeks ago that was along the same line as yours. It didn't end up getting a huge amount of response. Hopefully, yours will do better. My comments were along these lines...

If I (as an LDS Christian) pray to God, addressing Him as my Heavenly Father; if a Catholic, Jehovah's Witness, Protestant or Quaker, prays to Him, addressing Him, perhaps, in some other way; if a Muslim prays to God, addressing Him as Allah; if a Jew prays to God, if a Hindu or Taoist or any other religious person prays to Him, conceiving Him in their minds as something entirely different than I do and addressing Him by a different name or title and each of us acknowledges Him as the Higher Power to whom we are turning in our need, asking for His blessing or help, I believe that the same God who answers my prayers will answer the prayers of every other one of these individuals.

Perhaps you will say that prayer is only one aspect of worship, or isn't even worship at all. But we could extend my example further. We may each think that we understand enough about who or what God is to worship Him and to insist that others, who understand Him differently, are not really worshipping Him, but some "false God." But I don't personally believe that's the case. I believe that one God created all of us, that one God governs the universe, answers our prayers and will judge us in the end. And I believe that He's going to be pretty forgiving of those whose hearts were sincere, but who just didn't get all the details right.

Kathryn

Melody

Katzpur said:
We may each think that we understand enough about who or what God is to worship Him and to insist that others, who understand Him differently, are not really worshipping Him, but some "false God." But I don't personally believe that's the case. I believe that one God created all of us, that one God governs the universe, answers our prayers and will judge us in the end. And I believe that He's going to be pretty forgiving of those whose hearts were sincere, but who just didn't get all the details right.

Kathryn
So in essence we'll be judged by how well we live by our beliefs and God will forgive us the rest if we don't get it right?

almifkhar

god is god reguardless of what name you prefer to call it. speaking of traditional world religions, the only difference between them is ritual and practice. the end goal is always the same. so in my opinion, we do worship the same god.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Melody said:
So in essence we'll be judged by how well we live by our beliefs and God will forgive us the rest if we don't get it right?
Well, I think it's a little more involved than that, but if I were to go into it, it would end up totally taking your thread off topic. But I read a statement once that rang true to me. It said, "Fundamental righteousness is based on adherence to what you know to be right." While I believe there are definitely true doctrines and false doctrines being taught by well-meaning people, as well as both an accurate understanding and an inaccurate understanding of God's nature and our relationship to Him, I do believe that the condition of our hearts is going to be a real deciding factor when we stand before Him to be judged. You apparently disagree?

Melody

Katzpur said:
While I believe there are definitely true doctrines and false doctrines being taught by well-meaning people, as well as both an accurate understanding and an inaccurate understanding of God's nature and our relationship to Him, I do believe that the condition of our hearts is going to be a real deciding factor when we stand before Him to be judged. You apparently disagree?
No, Katydid....actually I agree with you. :)

cardero

Citizen Mod
Like Katzpur has mentioned it may be how different people understand GOD. What do we know about GOD? How did we get to know GOD? Our introduction to GOD is also important. Our current relationship and how we conduct this relationship is also an aspect to consider. I'm not a big believer in "false gods" (I believe everyone is a god) but if it is important to someone to worship a god I do believe it is important to fully understand where they are directing their adoration and why.

CMIYC

God is personal, the more complicated we are the more complicated god gets.

Is there only one GOD? No, there are more gods but only one creator. Don’t forget, the heaven has experienced a war of gods. The god that we refer to has won that war, so the story goes. If you got 1000 people of the same faith, each one would have a different opinion or interpretation of god, but the basic principal would be the same.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
CMIYC said:
Don’t forget, the heaven has experienced a war of gods. The god that we refer to has won that war, so the story goes.
What story? I'm afraid I don't recognise that one at all. In Christianity, the war in Heaven was between God's angels and those that aligned with Satan (who was himself an angel) and there only ever was one God. As that comes from the apocryphal book of Enoch, that means a similar belief was present in at least some sections of pre-Christian Judaism too. Having spoken to Peace about this, however, it seems that Islam has no concept of a rebellion by angels, so even this is not true of them. None of us believe that there ever was more than one God, and we're usually the three religions that are considered as worshipping the same God. I don't doubt that you might know of a religion where the story goes that there was a war in heven between various gods and we now worship the victor, but it's not a religion I'm familiar with.

James

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
I believe all who believe in a higher power, are believing in the same higher power. However, the higher power will be viewed differently, by different people.

But not every body worships the same God. Some people believe in God, but worship money. Others worship food, while some worship drugs, or fame.

Melody

EnhancedSpirit said:
I believe all who believe in a higher power, are believing in the same higher power. However, the higher power will be viewed differently, by different people.
Christians view Christ as the human face of God and believe that to have salvation you must believe he is Lord and that he died for our sins. Muslims believe he is only a prophet. I don't know what the Jews believe Jesus was (Jewscout?) but I'm sure it differs from Christianity and Islam. This is a major difference in belief. It's not just the little differences on whether it's ok to be gay or not, whether you should tithe or not....it's about what we need to do for salvation.

It seems to me then that this leaves a few possibilities.
a) Someone is wrong
b) God is a schizophrenic and playing games with us
c) There is no God and we're all deluding ourselves

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Melody said:
It seems to me then that this leaves a few possibilities.
a) Someone is wrong
b) God is a schizophrenic and playing games with us
c) There is no God and we're all deluding ourselves
a)someone is wrong
nope, i dont think a jew or muslim is wrong for not following my faith - just as i expect people to allow me my faith i wil not take away from the validity of others' faith

b)God is schizophrenic and playing games with us
nope, the gospels of mathew, mark, luke and john are all different - does that mean one is right and the other three are wrong? no, jews and muslims accept Jesus, they just dont worship him like christians do - i cant see any evidence of God playing games with us

c)there is no God and we are all deluding ourselves
nope, a life (for me) without god is a life without purpose - this is evidence enough to argue for the existence of God

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
God who revealed the Torah to Prophet Moses peace be upon him is the same God who revealed the Bible to Prophet Jesus Christ peace be upon and the same God who revealed the Quran to Prophet Muhammed peace be upon him.
God is one and unique and we all (Jews, Christians adn Muslims) worship the same God and pray to the same God, for there is no Creator, no god besides God, the Creator of the whole universe.

Peace be with you,
Peace

Melody

Peace said:
God who revealed the Torah to Prophet Moses peace be upon him is the same God who revealed the Bible to Prophet Jesus Christ peace be upon and the same God who revealed the Quran to Prophet Muhammed peace be upon him.

Peace,
Ok, but you are saying Jesus "the prophet". How do you deal with the following bible verses?

"For this cause therefore the Jews were seeking all the more to kill Him, because He not only was breaking the Sabbath, but also was calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God."
John 5:18

I said therefore to you, that you shall die in your sins; for unless you believe that I Am, you shall die in your sins.
John 8:24

"I and the Father are one."
John 10:31

"Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!"
John 20:28

There are many many more verses where Jesus says to worship only God and yet He receives worship. Finally, God is referred to as the first and last...and so is Christ.

"Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts: ‘I am the first and I am the last, and there is no God besides Me."

Isaiah 44:6

"Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, and the living One; and I was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of death and of Hades."

Revelations 1:17-18

Since Islam denies the divinity of Christ...and the Christian bible emphasizes the divine...I don't see how they can be the same God.

Don't get me wrong, everyone should follow their own heart, but I have a problem with what I see as political correctness. To be politically correct we must accept that everybody's path is the right way....and I just don't see how that's possible.

Sabio

IacobPersul said:
What story? I'm afraid I don't recognise that one at all. In Christianity, the war in Heaven was between God's angels and those that aligned with Satan (who was himself an angel) and there only ever was one God. As that comes from the apocryphal book of Enoch, that means a similar belief was present in at least some sections of pre-Christian Judaism too. Having spoken to Peace about this, however, it seems that Islam has no concept of a rebellion by angels, so even this is not true of them. None of us believe that there ever was more than one God, and we're usually the three religions that are considered as worshipping the same God. I don't doubt that you might know of a religion where the story goes that there was a war in heven between various gods and we now worship the victor, but it's not a religion I'm familiar with.

James
James,

I need to piggyback on your comments. Originally the the sons of Abraham Isaac (Jews) and Ishmael (Arabs) did worship the same (true) God.

But Mohammed's household (parents) apparently came from an occult background.
" The Quraysh tribe (Muhammad's tribe ) was previously devoted to Allah, the moon god. Muhammad's father was Abd-Allah. His Uncle, Obied-Allah. His mother, Aminah, was known to have been involved in the occult. (2)" (http://www.ldolphin.org/missler.html)

Thus it is highly probable that Mohammed did not follow the God of the Arabs (Jewsa and Christians), but followed Allah the moon god.

(Moon God worship comes from the ancient Babylonian (occult) religion)

This is not to say that all Arabs (then or today) follow this moon god.

Sabio

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
If we are to believe that God Created every thing, and I do, There can only One Creator God.
Religions may Believe only they, worship the One True God. And so Deny that Others worship the same God.
This must be a falacy because there can only be one Creator, by definition. so all religions like it or not. If they worship a God are worshiping the same God.

Terry

Melody

Terrywoodenpic said:
If we are to believe that God Created every thing, and I do, There can only One Creator God.
Religions may Believe only they, worship the One True God. And so Deny that Others worship the same God.
This must be a falacy because there can only be one Creator, by definition. so all religions like it or not. If they worship a God are worshiping the same God.

Terry

Sabio

Melody said:
So you're saying that we all worship the same game God but some of us are just getting the actual method wrong?
This describes the Christian "method", through Jesus.

John 14: 6Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Sabio

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Melody said:
So you're saying that we all worship the same game God but some of us are just getting the actual method wrong?
I would'nt say 'wrong' - I would say in a different way......................

Think of it this way; the world is a pretty large patch. From the beginning of time, man everywhere on Earth has probably believed in some sort of deities - God of Anger (Who chucks bolts of lightening around when he is angry).etc.........

Don't forget that here in England, in the early 1800's people would be most loath to travel any further than 100 miles - simply a) because it took so long b)they were probably worried about being attacked on the way, discomfort.........

A prophet comes to live amongst us (humans) - the word gets around - passed from person to person - later from country to country; is it not natural to think that all religions stem from one base ?

Which base is another matter....but think on this; Religion has played a part in Politics historically - and therefore the commandements have been 'honed' to worlk for whomsoever decided to make them adapt, for the particular need.

Doesn't that scenario make sense therefore that we probably do all believe in the same God, but that the religion for each nation developed along it's own 'track' ?:)