• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do the gods understand human languages?

Liu

Sometimes, I feel that must be how it works. Then I ask myself why I think that, and what reasons I really have for supposing that.

This thread came to mind today as I was walking back from grabbing lunch. There was a student who had her dog in campus, and was talking to it using human words. Does the dog even understand, I wonder? Why not make barking noises? Them my eyes were drawn to trees, entities that I consider sacred spirits or deities, that I talk to sometimes. I began asking a similar question. Do they understand? My answer to that tends to be no. Why would they? When I've communed more deeply with various plant spirits, it wasn't English that I received. It was abstract feelings, sensations. Does that mean my translation engine is broken, per your comment here?
I guess it's rather common to not have a working translation engine like that - else, if spirits actually exist, belief in them would be much more wide-spread. Much in regards to meditation and similar "beginner's exercises" seems to have the purpose of improving one's abilities to perceive these entities (be they external spirits or parts of one's subconscious), so that's something that people normally need to train.
When I read/hear other people tell how they talk to their deities I wonder whether I should get envious about their abilities or feel pity for their delusions. Currently tending rather to the first, because even if these beings are merely internal constructs, communicating with them seems to be fun and helpful for many.

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
Could you unpack this a bit more? What is "speak through spirit" mean in more detail? Is it some sort of "deeper" language?

I guess some practitioners will call it "intent". Emotion, thoughts, meaning, that kind of stuff. You can sometimes tell walking into a room that someone is angry, an animal is sick or there is a new plant in the house, even when you're blindfolded. It becomes part of the air and it doesn't matter if you speak English, Spanish, Chinese or Greek, you can tell if someone is angry or sad or overjoyed. I think spiritual beings do the same thing. Maybe you have seven gods in your personal pantheon that each speak a different language and not a word of English but if you speak to them in English, they're paying attention to things like the tone of your voice, what you are doing, and what you seem to be thinking about. Praying to a god to get money or a paying job, for example. Most people would use things like the color green and gold or a certain plant. They will be thinking about what they need the money for. They might have an emotional response to the act of praying, indicating urgency. We're not the only beings that can piece together what is being asked or done based on context, spiritual or mundane.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
So you find it unnecessary to communicate with them? Just acknowledge their presence?

Communication in the sense of a two-way conversation in human language is generally something I feel is unnecessary to have a worthwhile relationship with the gods. It's about more than just acknowledgement, though that is part of it. I understand that some religious traditions spend a lot of time asking their deities for things, but for me the focus is more on mindfulness and gratitude.

I'd kind of think of them more as nature spirits than Gods though.

That's fair. For me that is something of a po-tay-to, po-tah-to distinction. :D

I'll accept there is something "mystical" in acknowledging nature spirits. If that is sufficient for your beliefs then it's sufficient.

I suppose I'm more practical minded in that if you can't influence them in some way it's just not,... well practical. :D

Nah, I hear you. The influence is certainly still there, it just doesn't happen in human language for me most of the time. Relationships we have are more than just about the talky bits, right?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Could you explain the theological basis for that? The reasons and whys? I find the details of these things interesting. :D

Sure. I (my Self) am one with the Divine. My communion with consciousness (life energy, prana, Spirit) i.e. the Divine, is not in spoken (or thought) language. Any mantras are used for the purpose of occupying the the physical mind. I really am not sure how to put into words how I commune. The closest I can come is abstract imagery.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
To simplify is to unify.

I don't see it as simplifying if we are added more variables to the equation.
I strongly suspect you do not have a clue what his beliefs are.
Hopefully you will take the time to learn before you make and even bigger fool of yourself.

suncowiam

I strongly suspect you do not have a clue what his beliefs are.
Hopefully you will take the time to learn before you make and even bigger fool of yourself.

I answered your question and you respond with a suspicion and an insult.

Either continue the conversation with some respect or just move on. Stop trying to act like you're above everyone.

I will respond if you are actually trying to continue with the subject. Another insult and I'll just drop our conversation.

You're better than that from what I've read of you.

McBell

I answered your question and you respond with a suspicion and an insult.

Either continue the conversation with some respect or just move on. Stop trying to act like you're above everyone.

I will respond if you are actually trying to continue with the subject. Another insult and I'll just drop our conversation.

You're better than that from what I've read of you.
You would do good to follow your own advice.

Or are you content making a fool of yourself?

suncowiam

You would do good to follow your own advice.

Or are you content making a fool of yourself?

Aren't you the big boy for throwing your weight around. You must be so proud of yourself to be able to call others a fool.

Good for you.

What else you got?

McBell

Aren't you the big boy for throwing your weight around. You must be so proud of yourself to be able to call others a fool.

Good for you.

What else you got?
Just can't stop yourself, huh?

Oh well

suncowiam

Just can't stop yourself, huh?

Oh well

Can't Stop myself? Ironic.

Why don't you actually address the OP and stop with this school yard banter? I admit I have some of that to blame but I'm still trying to properly steer this conversation in the right direction.

You asked why I thought he was convoluting the topic. You asserted he was actually simplifying it.

I thought I gave a good definition of what simplification is, with a good mathematical analogy. Then it ended there with a speculation and an insult...

You can end it, but I'll stay on the topic and I'll welcome any further discussion on the topic.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Sad is your perspective.

Possibly there's a good reason why its uncommon.

Well, that was thoroughly rude. Look, sun, if all you're going to do in my thread is troll, I'd recommend taking yourself elsewhere.

Couldn't a god just scan your mind and instantaneously know everything that you do, including your language?

Some gods, certainly. I don't see much reason to suppose all gods have psionic mind-scanning omniscience-inducing abilities, though. In my experience, almost none of them would have this ability. Why people suppose "gods" equate to having supernatural superpowers is kinda weird to me, though, so go figure. :sweat:

suncowiam

Well, that was thoroughly rude. Look, sun, if all you're going to do in my thread is troll, I'd recommend taking yourself elsewhere.

Some gods, certainly. I don't see much reason to suppose all gods have psionic mind-scanning omniscience-inducing abilities, though. In my experience, almost none of them would have this ability. Why people suppose "gods" equate to having supernatural superpowers is kinda weird to me, though, so go figure. :sweat:

That's probably the insensitivity of communication behind the internet plus some prenotion of my comments to be aggressive or degrading.

You placing my assertion as something depressing is solely your perspective.

I'm seriously not trolling you. I believe what you are suggesting is convoluting the topic.

Why do gods need human languages to communicate with humans? If anything, they need to appear to you in person first. If they never do, what use is a language spoken audibly?

I can disagree with you or make comments not conforming to your OP, can I not?

Not seeing how I've been rude to you. If you think that, then I'm sorry but possibly if you accept my intentions as stated then that could be better.

Seems like some are just jumping to conclusions without even addressing the OP.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Speaking to our gods is a common activity for many theists. When we speak to our gods, we typically use whatever our native language is. This begs a question:

Do the gods understand human languages? If so, which ones? What is the theological basis for your answer? Does it matter if the gods understand human languages? Why or why not?
If we take theistic claims at face value, it often doesn't make much sense to assume that a god speaks any and every human language.

However, if we see gods as devices constructed by humans to make the universe and abstract concepts relatable, it makes perfect sense that a believer's god would be able to communicate with the believer in a way that makes sense to the believer.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I am not attempting to start a debate here, but the question posed by the OP is similar to at least a thousand I've seen since I've participated on sites like this one. People have asked if God (or "the gods") do this or that, like this or that, think this or that, hate this or that, and on and on.

The really big question for me, however, is this one: "when you ask questions about God (or gods), how do you suppose you are going to answer them, and how will you know you've answered correctly?" Are you not assuming that somehow or other, you are going to have access to God/god's thoughts, or that somebody else will?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

I guess it depends on how one defines a "god", so for clarification, what would be your criteria?