• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do the gods understand human languages?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Speaking to our gods is a common activity for many theists. When we speak to our gods, we typically use whatever our native language is. This begs a question:

Do the gods understand human languages? If so, which ones? What is the theological basis for your answer? Does it matter if the gods understand human languages? Why or why not?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Speaking to our gods is a common activity for many theists. When we speak to our gods, we typically use whatever our native language is. This begs a question:

Do the gods understand human languages? If so, which ones? What is the theological basis for your answer? Does it matter if the gods understand human languages? Why or why not?

Wouldn't be much of a God if they didn't. If you find your God has an issue understanding you, you might what to start thinking about looking for a new God.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Wouldn't be much of a God if they didn't. If you find your God has an issue understanding you, you might what to start thinking about looking for a new God.

I don't understand why you would think that. Could you elaborate?

To me something like this is kinda like saying "that human isn't really much of a human because they speak French instead of Japanese."

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

To me something like this is kinda like saying "that human isn't really much of a human because they speak French instead of Japanese."

Gods should have supernatural powers. I'd think at a minimum would be to understand your requests.

I wouldn't expect humans to have supernatural powers.

And say there was a God who for some reason couldn't understand you. What's the point of worshiping them. They'd have no idea what you're doing, what you needed or wanted.

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
I guess the language doesn't matter as long as the intent is clear. We speak through spirit just as much as words. I speak in two languages to my deities and I don't really see a difference in result between them, because my spirit didn't change.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Gods should have supernatural powers.

Haha... I suppose I disagree, because none of my gods have "supernatural powers" as none of them transcend nature. This is typical for polytheism, pantheism, and animism.

I suppose it is fair to say my question applies more for theisms other than classical monotheism, perhaps. :sweat:

And say there was a God who for some reason couldn't understand you. What's the point of worshiping them.

There are plenty of reasons, but that's not really the subject of this thread so I'll leave this bit alone. :D

suncowiam

That's because you're convoluting the concept of God.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I guess the language doesn't matter as long as the intent is clear. We speak through spirit just as much as words. I speak in two languages to my deities and I don't really see a difference in result between them, because my spirit didn't change.

Could you unpack this a bit more? What is "speak through spirit" mean in more detail? Is it some sort of "deeper" language?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
That's because you're convoluting the concept of God.

I'm not talking about God - this thread is about all types of theism, not just the classical monotheism that Abrahamics favor. If you want to believe any type of theism other than classical monotheism is "convoluted," more power to you, but please take that discussion elsewhere.

suncowiam

I'm not talking about God - this thread is about all types of theism, not just the classical monotheism that Abrahamics favor. If you want to believe any type of theism other than classical monotheism is "convoluted," more power to you, but please take that discussion elsewhere.

Ok, then you're convoluting the concept of gods.

Liu

In regards to communicating with spirits, I heard from some people who communicate with them that spirits don't normally use human languages but that our brains basically translate the thoughts/concepts/ideas they send us into words. I suppose it works the same on the other way round - they don't necessarily speak our languages, but they basically receive our thoughts and intentions that we have while speaking.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
In regards to communicating with spirits, I heard from some people who communicate with them that spirits don't normally use human languages but that our brains basically translate the thoughts/concepts/ideas they send us into words. I suppose it works the same on the other way round - they don't necessarily speak our languages, but they basically receive our thoughts and intentions that we have while speaking.

Sometimes, I feel that must be how it works. Then I ask myself why I think that, and what reasons I really have for supposing that.

This thread came to mind today as I was walking back from grabbing lunch. There was a student who had her dog in campus, and was talking to it using human words. Does the dog even understand, I wonder? Why not make barking noises? Them my eyes were drawn to trees, entities that I consider sacred spirits or deities, that I talk to sometimes. I began asking a similar question. Do they understand? My answer to that tends to be no. Why would they? When I've communed more deeply with various plant spirits, it wasn't English that I received. It was abstract feelings, sensations. Does that mean my translation engine is broken, per your comment here?

Regardless, when I say hello to the trees, it isn't so much because I think the spirits understand me.
It just seems polite to acknowledge another person (yes, person - it's an animist thing) I share this world with... especially ones so magnificent and beautiful. Hundred plus year old trees that have seen seasons upon seasons of undergraduates tracing paths beneath their boughs. The stories trees could tell if they did speak...

Sorry, I'm waxing Druid. :sweat:

syo

yes, gods speak our language. in fact, language is a present from the gods to us.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Haha... I suppose I disagree, because none of my gods have "supernatural powers" as none of them transcend nature. This is typical for polytheism, pantheism, and animism.

I suppose it is fair to say my question applies more for theisms other than classical monotheism, perhaps. :sweat:

There are plenty of reasons, but that's not really the subject of this thread so I'll leave this bit alone. :D

So you find it unnecessary to communicate with them? Just acknowledge their presence?

I'd kind of think of them more as nature spirits than Gods though.

I'll accept there is something "mystical" in acknowledging nature spirits. If that is sufficient for your beliefs then it's sufficient.

I suppose I'm more practical minded in that if you can't influence them in some way it's just not,... well practical. :D

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
yes, gods speak our language. in fact, language is a present from the gods to us.

Said with full conviction and certainty.

I tend to be less certain regarding man's knowledge about Gods.

Sanzbir

Do the gods understand human languages?

Yes.

If so, which ones?

All of them. But HTML is the most important language. :p

What is the theological basis for your answer?

The implication of eternal existence and omnipresence would be that such a being would be present for every single evolution of every single sound in every single language, as well as the creation of every single word. Omniscience would further imply comprehension of these developments

Does it matter if the gods understand human languages?

No.

Why or why not?

Why would it matter??