• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do the arguments for Christianity and against christianity actually make sense?

Lorgar-Aurelian

I've been doing a lot of reading lately. The bible and the arguments for and against the religions that hold it dear. For instance is Jesus the Jewish Messiah? The arguments I've heard from Jewish apologists suggest no and the "arguments" from Christians I've seen say yes. I put arguments in quotations because it seems like the vast majority of the time there isn't a real argument for Jesus being the messiah there is just someone saying he is then saying he's fulfilled the law/prophecies. Not exactly convincing.

You also get things like this
Does Christianity make sense?

Former Atheist: Christianity Really Does Make Sense

dangerous idea: Some Reasons why Christianity Makes Sense to Me

So what do you think? What arguments would you use in favor of Christianity or against Christianity?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I left xianity because I came to the conclusion that Jesus could not be the Messiah.

The theology is all at odds with the Tanach.

Concepts of Hell, Satan etc. were all askew; not like anything found in Judaism and the Tanach, again.

It took me a while (a year almost) because I wanted to do a lot of research first. But this is just my opinion.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It needs to be asked what "makes sense" means. Makes sense for what purpose? And for which person?

It seems to me that this question of "makes sense" is a very subjective one, grounded in opinions and personal values. To me, arguments for or against some particular religion (or anything else, probably, from politics to favorite movies) boil down to "do you value/like that, or not?" Folks do not have to have the same values, so folks can answer that question differently from each other. Be a Christian if you like that path. And if you don't like that path, don't walk it. To me it is that simple. No need to argue about it, really.

rusra02

Premium Member
There are many prophecies in the Hebrew Scriptures relating to the Messiah, all of which Jesus fulfilled. This convinces me that Jesus is the Messiah. Just to name a few, the Messiah would be a Jew, of the tribe of Judah, a son (or descendant) of David. He would be born in Bethlehem. The Messiah was to come at a specific time mentioned in Daniel 9:25-27. He was to "be cut off, with nothing for himself." There are many others, all fulfilled in a single remarkable man.
Then we have Jesus life, ministry, miracles, and amazing teachings and prophecies. Eyewitnesses confirm Jesus healed the sick, and even raised the dead. He controlled the weather, fed thousands miraculously. His teachings have had greater impact than any others have. Jesus said he is the Messiah and I believe him. (John 4:25,26)

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
There are many prophecies in the Hebrew Scriptures relating to the Messiah, all of which Jesus fulfilled. This convinces me that Jesus is the Messiah. Just to name a few, the Messiah would be a Jew, of the tribe of Judah, a son (or descendant) of David. He would be born in Bethlehem. The Messiah was to come at a specific time mentioned in Daniel 9:25-27. He was to "be cut off, with nothing for himself." There are many others, all fulfilled in a single remarkable man.
Then we have Jesus life, ministry, miracles, and amazing teachings and prophecies. Eyewitnesses confirm Jesus healed the sick, and even raised the dead. He controlled the weather, fed thousands miraculously. His teachings have had greater impact than any others have. Jesus said he is the Messiah and I believe him. (John 4:25,26)

The Jews whoms texts they are, - say Jesus did not fulfill them.

How is Mary from the royal Line of David?

RESOLUTION

I've been doing a lot of reading lately. The bible and the arguments for and against the religions that hold it dear. For instance is Jesus the Jewish Messiah? The arguments I've heard from Jewish apologists suggest no and the "arguments" from Christians I've seen say yes. I put arguments in quotations because it seems like the vast majority of the time there isn't a real argument for Jesus being the messiah there is just someone saying he is then saying he's fulfilled the law/prophecies. Not exactly convincing.

You also get things like this
Does Christianity make sense?

Former Atheist: Christianity Really Does Make Sense

dangerous idea: Some Reasons why Christianity Makes Sense to Me

So what do you think? What arguments would you use in favor of Christianity or against Christianity?

You missed Jews who claim Jesus is the Jewish Messiah.
How he actually fulfilled 40 main prophecies from the OT for the Messiah.

How is it suppose to make sense? Doesn't it make sense that Jesus saves us from sin and
leads us back to God?

It needs to be asked what "makes sense" means. Makes sense for what purpose? And for which person?

It seems to me that this question of "makes sense" is a very subjective one, grounded in opinions and personal values. To me, arguments for or against some particular religion (or anything else, probably, from politics to favorite movies) boil down to "do you value/like that, or not?" Folks do not have to have the same values, so folks can answer that question differently from each other. Be a Christian if you like that path. And if you don't like that path, don't walk it. To me it is that simple. No need to argue about it, really.

Echoes my sentiments.

This OP is confusing for this exact reason.