• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Mystical Experiences Inform the Mystic of the Nature of God?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Do mystical experiences inform the mystic of the nature of god?*

*Wish I had phrased the question this way at 1:30 AM last night. Alas! I did not. Consequently, the clumsiness of the question I asked in this thread.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Excellent point! While I think it is possible that mystical experiences inform the mystic of the nature of god, I think it is all but certain they inform the mystic of the nature of self.

I know you don't make the distinction between self (the ego-self) and the Self (one's true nature).

Then again, for all intents and purposes, neither do I, technically speaking. My ego-self is merely a vehicle for my true self to experience relative reality, just as my dream self is a vehicle for my ego-self to experience a dream.

While you're aware of my aversion to the term "god" given it's multitude of interpretations, I don't make a distinction between my true nature and the highest universal principle (Absolute Reality).

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I know you don't make the distinction between self (the ego-self) and the Self (one's true nature).

Then again, for all intents and purposes, neither do I, technically speaking. My ego-self is merely a vehicle for my true self to experience relative reality, just as my dream self is a vehicle for my ego-self to experience a dream.

While you're aware of my aversion to the term "god" given it's multitude of interpretations, I don't make a distinction between my true nature and the highest universal principle (Absolute Reality).

Thank you for the clarifications. They are much appreciated by me. I more or less know your views in this area, but my memory grows old and things don't always click immediately anymore.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Do Mystical Experiences Inform the Mystic of the Nature of God?

I am going with the 'Yes' answer. I have come to believe that the God-Realized saints/gurus/mystics have plumbed and experienced deeper into the true nature of reality by stilling the noisy mind and exploring the basis of consciousness.

My spiritual philosophy (Advaita Vedanta) is based on the repeated insights of many, many masters/rishis/mystics.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
At some point in time they might, I wouldn't know. Sages who explain the nature of God (from their own personal experience) got to that point of being able to explain it somehow.

PureX

Veteran Member
I would think that, by definition, a "mystical experience" would be revelatory, more-so than informative. Meaning that it changes the way the recipient cognates the information already on hand, rather than providing the recipient with new information.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

I followed the link to "mystical experiences" in the OP (yes, I'm that kind of nerd.) But I did not find it helpful in the least. And that's because an experience by its very nature is an experience (what a tautology). The meaning and the language we may or may not attach to the experience is something else.

And, of course, you've used that pasky "God"-word again. So I'll just write that a mystical experience illuminates the deeper reality to which some assign the word "God" and others "one's true self".

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member

*Wish I had phrased the question this way at 1:30 AM last night. Alas! I did not. Consequently, the clumsiness of the question I asked in this thread.
Not necessarily. One doesn't even have to have a mystical experience to appreciate loving-kindness, compassion, empathetic joy, and even-mindedness/stability of mind, but having a mystical experience can help one to appreciate these qualities.
Mystical experiences can, however, inform you of your own state of mind, and what it is capable of.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

I have had many mystical experiences. I believe they connect me directly with God. Somehow I come away feeling like I know something I didn't know before. But whatever it is, it is not about the nature of God or some kind of theology.