• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Men Even Want Women?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
This is not in a debate section but I thought it would be better here.

So in today's culture it's sort of taken as a given that attractive women will wear makeup to give the illusion of clear skin, big eyes, red lips and dainty brows; they will have no body hair at all; they will have thin, tiny figures and high, somewhat annoying voices.

The problem is that this is not a woman. Women have body hair; their faces are not perfectly even with flawless skin, huge eyes and red lips; their bodies have some fat and are not tiny.

It seems to me like men, or women who like women sometimes, prefer a woman to look like a little girl. Little girls have hairless bodies, big eyes, smooth skin and petite figures. Not even a teen girl, a little girl. Teen girls have body hair and so-so skin.

It seems to me that the modern image of a beautiful woman is of a little girl with big breasts.

I find this very disturbing.

Last edited:

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I've seen this argument crop up on Facebook, often, but when men confirm that they don't really care about makeup and it gets in the way, it's always fired back that "They" (the "patricarchy"/media/society/etc) all but demand women to wear makeup. But if guys don't care... then who is They?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I've seen this argument crop up on Facebook, often, but when men confirm that they don't really care about makeup and it gets in the way, it's always fired back that "They" (the "patricarchy"/media/society/etc) all but demand women to wear makeup. But if guys don't care... then who is They?
Don't get me wrong, the title was mostly clickbait. But it is a depiction we see of women 99.9% of the time and it has to come from somewhere. I'm not a feminist or believe in 'The Patriarchy' BS by any means.

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I know when I never shaved for four years or so, and I still mostly choose not to, that the people who gave me the most comments were women.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it's pretty evident that some men care and some men don't. But that there's a definite media pressure for women to buy cosmetic product that makes them look like something socially considered to be idealic femininity but has little to do with any objective standard for what femininity is.

So in today's culture it's sort of taken as a given that attractive women will wear makeup to give the illusion of clear skin, big eyes, red lips and dainty brows; they will have no body hair at all; they will have thin, tiny figures and high, somewhat annoying voices.

The problem is that this is not a woman. Women have body hair; their faces are not perfectly even with flawless skin, huge eyes and red lips; their bodies have some fat and are not tiny.

It seems to me like men, or women who like women sometimes, prefer a woman to look like a little girl. Little girls have hairless bodies, big eyes, smooth skin and petite figures. Not even a teen girl, a little girl. Teen girls have body hair and so-so skin.

It seems to me that the modern image of a beautiful woman is of a little girl with big breasts.

LOL.

If I had a penny for every fat lumpy female that has laid this silly canard on the table...

Not saying you match the description, I've never seen you, but even still, I have to say.

NO, preferring women that maintain themselves and give a **** about their appearance does not make one a pedophile.

The truth is if someone is lazy about their appearance it is often indicitive of how they carry themselves in other areas of life too.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

What you see in the media and what men want in real life are 2 different things. Being a man I at times look at women as works of art, I appreciate the time and effort the woman went through to look like that; however, like a work of art I only expect to see it in specific places and times, mostly in media. When it comes to women in my life it is mostly through personality that they win me over. Am I attracted to a certain body type yes but if your personality clashes it won't work. If you have a different body type but a super personality match I'll make it work. I don't expect or want my significant other to be a media image with no personality.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
What you see in the media and what men want in real life are 2 different things. Being a man I at times look at women as works of art, I appreciate the time and effort the woman went through to look like that; however, like a work of art I only expect to see it in specific places and times, mostly in media. When it comes to women in my life it is mostly through personality that they win me over. Am I attracted to a certain body type yes but if your personality clashes it won't work. If you have a different body type but a super personality match I'll make it work. I don't expect or want my significant other to be a media image with no personality.
But then where did the media image come from?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Men are much more forgiving than most women like to think.

Women are much less forgiving than most women like to think.
It often seems to me that women are in almost constant competition with other women - even their friends. It can and often does, in my experience, turn them into some of the most vile, horrible people out there. I've never understood it.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

There are certainly many people who find such images attractive.

But I don't think that is nearly as prevalent as you seem to believe.

Speaking for myself, I don't really like makeup at all. Or red lips or strong brows. A measure of visible body hair in the legs and arms can be very exciting. And I most definitely like tall women (not that I necessarily dislike petites, mind you). Very big breasts are actually less attractive than somewhat small ones to me, although I can only assume that there are those who disagree.

Eyes are something of special case. All sizes and shapes can be very attractive in their own particular ways.

But generally, I think it is fair to say that most women are at their apex of attractiveness around 16 to 35 years of age. Significant variaton exists, of course. Younger women (or children) often have appeals that are significantly different from those that they will have as they age. Not really bigger appeal, but significantly different. Women around 30 can and often display a fairly irresistible spectrum of all-around attractive traits, both bodily and behavioral. Girls around 16 can be prettier, but often aren't all-around more attractive.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I know when I never shaved for four years or so, and I still mostly choose not to, that the people who gave me the most comments were women.
Men are just not very inclined to perceive makeup, careful grooming or even pretty clothes, at least when compared to women.

For good or worse, our perception tends to be interested in the person proper, not the trimmings. Even in the most lustful senses of "perception" and "person".

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
But I don't think that is nearly as prevalent as you seem to believe.
The rest I can see, but this - no. I only knew one other girl who did not shave. Every other woman I know does. So it is very prevalent.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I agree that some men are attracted to that physical type, but I for one am not in that group...I find it ridiculous that so many do, and then try to impose that lust on the rest of society through advertising, etc.--and that so many in society buy into it...or maybe it's the other way around: this is what society wants, and is channeling its preferences through media and other societal mechanisms...

from an evolutionary perspective, I would think male desire for young and healthy females would make sense (although I don't see how the waif look of so many supermodels would fit this), as opposed to desire for older and/or unhealthy females...

Frankly, as I've grown older, my taste in women has changed. I never did go in much for girls (and later women) wearing lots of makeup. My first wife refused to go out even to the grocery store without putting on her makeup--something I thought unnecessary, as she was quite pretty without it. Actually still is.

My second wife rarely puts on any makeup at all--and I don't think she needs to in the least, either; she, too, is quite attractive.

I'm approaching 60, and my wife is older than I am. But looking around, I see lots of attractive people between the ages of 40 and 70--and I know that many of them wear makeup and still try to look like 15-to-17 year-old girls, but they really don't need to. And generally, the ones I find most attractive in my age-group are attractive because of who they are, not because they are trying to look like younger women...

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
But then where did the media image come from?

Same place the Mona Lisa and Statues and Paintings of Women from the Greek times. The media is trying to draw people to it by Highlighting what it thinks will get the most people. Sex sells and always will. There are very few men with blemishes as well. How many newscasters show off there moles or pimples. How many have a bad hair day on TV or in the media. Do you think all firemen look like the men you see in the media.

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
I'm a woman and I have hairy legs. I don't even bother shaving them because honestly how does it make me less of a woman? And why do women have to be so delicate and obsessed with face paint anyway? :p

I'll stand up for myself because people who want a dainty little princess with a rack larger than her back can handle aren't going to get that from me. They're going to get a woman who likes digging in dirt, and finds reading books that smell like ink more enjoyable than nit-picking over her body.

I mean, I don't mind women liking "feminist" things, but honestly I'd like any lipstick lesbian I might date to be doing makeup and that sort of thing because she likes it for some reason and not because she feels like she has to. (Yes, I'd date a woman as likely as I'd date a man)

Personally I think there are certain qualities that (very young and health-obsessed) men find desirable just because it's artificial. You see the same thing with (also very young and health-obsessed) heterosexual girls swooning over grotesquely thin and pumped, also hairless male swimsuit bodies of grinning boy band stars. Like, guys have hair. A lot of hair sometimes, on their chest and stuff. What's so wrong about hair? :p

We live in a plastic society selling to a very pampered audience that isn't as connected to nature and the basic non-digital reality as much as our ancestors were. I think that's at least part of it.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Not sure what using deodourant has to do with this?
Maybe nothing, but its related to things like cosmetics and hairstyles and shoes and so forth. Ideally we should care what other people look like or smell like, but we still do anyway, and there is a lot of judging that happens. There's like a resistance that keeps people apart, and its possible to dial up that resistance. Like you can go without deodorant, frown, wear old wrinkly messed up clothes and messed up hair. You can keep your face dirty, and all of that can be used to keep people away. Then you can also go in the opposite direction and actively research what other people like or even wear a disguise.