• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Humans Offend God?

Gui10

Well, in gods omniscience, he cannot be offended, as he knows when, why and how you will do the ''offending'' thing we are talking about.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
all those scriptures i posted come from the Hebrew scriptures.

Yes but taken from a Christian perspective. The Hebrew Scriptures are not viewed as literal or absolute by any Jews I know. I also know no Jews who believe it is more than the writings of man.

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
Well IMO I kindly disagree. If there would be any relevance between God and Humans (if in fact God does exist) it would be feelings (at least before it would be anything else). IMO it is feelings that a likeness is explained when some say "we were created in His image".

Your notion/s of 'god' are tellingly christian.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Yes but taken from a Christian perspective. The Hebrew Scriptures are not viewed as literal or absolute by any Jews I know. I also know no Jews who believe it is more than the writings of man.

Well thats understandable, but those scriptures need no interpreting, they are statements.

you dont need to interpret a statement.

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
The god of this thread certainly isn't any more offended by humans
than humans are offended by him.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Well thats understandable, but those scriptures need no interpreting, they are statements.

Actually, that is false.

It is completely impossible to understand anything without interpretation.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Of course. Let me put this into maybe a better view.
If "you" where given the Knowledge (as the child) that you were going to do something wrong and did nothing to change it, this is OK? Did anyone ever think maybe when it comes to "bad" or "evil" things that if we could change them that it may be appreciated?

Whether it is ok or not has nothing to do with the subject of the debate.

God knew before hand what we would and would not do. If he was to be offended, he got over it long before we do it.

Prophet

breaking the statutes of my local municipality
I challange you to give one single person in all history who was not bound to their nature, taking offense or otherwise. You cannot hold that against someone, especially if you believe in a deity.

I am merely demonstrating that it is better to not take offense. If a being has wronged you with bad behavior, there is no way to teach him good behavior aside from patience, understanding, and setting an example of good behavior. If you punish, whether it be with unpleasant consequences or even your reduced favor, you will not teach good behavior. You will teach hypocrisy. It may look like good behavior, but with nothing but selfish motives for all the things they do, the hypocrite has been taught "good" by someone who has no idea what good is.

Is avoiding "bad" for selfish reasons good? No, it's ACTING. Acting is what a hypocrite does best. They act good, when the goal is to BE good.

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
So God knew then before hand that one of His creations was going to attempt to "replace" Him first off you are saying. Secondly you state that "wanting" or any other kind of emotion is impossible or at least "hidden"??? There is always a scenario of the unexpected (not necessarily inconceivable) is impossible?

Do you believe "God" can be surprised?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member

Statements made by random humans.

God doesn't exist. There's a statement, you accept?

horizon_mj1

I guess when it comes down to it, I believe in every scenario there is a statistical basis in which must be considered. IMO when we rise above this statistical basis (when it is of course good to do so) then yes this could be "surprising". Me Myself gave me some food for thought with "we were forgiven long before it happened", if this is so, if you make it so there is no "need" for forgiveness this would be great would it not?

horizon_mj1

By definition humans do not have instincts. They have intuitions.
So you are saying the Human Id does not exist? Id, Ego, Superego, and the Unconscious in Psychology 101 at AllPsych Online
Instinct is: a powerful motivation or impulse;
instinct - Dictionary definition and pronunciation - Yahoo! Education
Intuition is: quick and ready insight;
Intuition - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

If you ask me it seems (logically speaking) Humans contain both instinct and intuition; I can not see (any) non-divine or Divine Being not having some kind of both, just in an aspect in which we do not yet understand;)

Super Universe

Defender of God
No I do not think at all the God is either angry or Jealous, but maybe disappointed:(

I am the last person who would question why a prayer is not answered (IMO prayers are always answered, just not always the way we think they should be answered. Do you feel that everyone should be judged the same as a child? Just the same old lame excuse of "well they didn't know what they were doing" justifies inappropriate actions?

God is not disappointed in us.

We are judged according to our own standards and shown our hypocrisy. You do know what you are doing you simply justify your own selfish behavior all the while condemning others. It's human.

But you are instantly forgiven by God because He knows you are like children now.

Being forgiven by others, forgiving others, and forgiving yourself might take a while.

horizon_mj1

God is not disappointed in us.
I apologize if you misunderstood me, I do not think God is disappointed in us:no: If that where the case, I do not think our species would still be around.

We are judged according to our own standards and shown our hypocrisy. You do know what you are doing you simply justify your own selfish behavior all the while condemning others. It's human.
OK it is now obvious to me that you are not at all familiar with my views; I in no way whatsoever believe in Judging anyone. That IMO is the biggest problem with people; if they would worry about themselves half as much as they do others it would be a societal improvement.

But you are instantly forgiven by God because He knows you are like children now.
If this where true, Hell would not exist:rolleyes:

Being forgiven by others, forgiving others, and forgiving yourself might take a while.
If you can not find forgiveness in your own heart, how can you ever expect to be forgiven? (IMO if you can not find that forgiveness, if you ask to find it you will ;))

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
So you are saying the Human Id does not exist? Id, Ego
, Superego, and the Unconscious in Psychology 101 at AllPsych Online
Instinct is: a powerful motivation or impulse;
instinct - Dictionary definition and pronunciation - Yahoo! Education
Intuition is: quick and ready insight;
Intuition - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

If you ask me it seems (logically speaking) Humans contain both instinct and intuition; I can not see (any) non-divine or Divine Being not having some kind of both, just in an aspect in which we do not yet understand;)
[/

If you read the definition you cited it says that instincts are characteristics of a species. That means that everyone of the species does the same thing in the same situation without thinking. Humans do not.