• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Humans Offend God?

Habakkuk 1:13

King James Version (KJV)

13 Thou art of purer eyes than to behold evil, and canst not look on iniquity: wherefore lookest thou upon them that deal treacherously, and holdest thy tongue when the wicked devoureth the man that is more righteous than he?

tempter

Think about it, if everything we do is known, then when we do something wrong, is this not a direct offense? We often wander why it is that our prayers can go unheard at times, but could this be due to the evil we breed among ourselves(what Divine Being would want to be in a place where Evil runs rampant?

As a proud former Christian, I'd say NO humans don't offend god as there isn't a god like the bible indicates.
But I would say the biblical god does offend humanity.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I guess when it comes down to it, I believe in every scenario there is a statistical basis in which must be considered. IMO when we rise above this statistical basis (when it is of course good to do so) then yes this could be "surprising".

To God?! Okay, then your version of God is not omniscient, end then I would not be surprised your god can indeed be offended.

Me Myself gave me some food for thought with "we were forgiven long before it happened", if this is so, if you make it so there is no "need" for forgiveness this would be great would it not?

From my God no, there is no need for forgiveness. But Karma will come back to hunt you if you have not learned your lesson. This is not out of spite or God feeling offended, but is simply the universe´s way of teaching you to take responsibility for your actions and to properly understand the consequences.

People and spirits that are lesser than God can be offended by your actions though.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
What you say is true but it does not contradict what I said.

We continually interpret interpretations.

surprises you? :shrug:

it doesnt surprise me at all that people do so. Its quite normal for people to prefer their own interpretation...especially when they dont like what they hear.

horizon_mj1

As a proud former Christian, I'd say NO humans don't offend god as there isn't a god like the bible indicates.
But I would say the biblical god does offend humanity.
I am being a bit contrarious here but when you think about it almost anything that is view as a God can be viewed as offensive by some;)

horizon_mj1

To God?! Okay, then your version of God is not omniscient, end then I would not be surprised your god can indeed be offended.

From my God no, there is no need for forgiveness. But Karma will come back to hunt you if you have not learned your lesson. This is not out of spite or God feeling offended, but is simply the universe´s way of teaching you to take responsibility for your actions and to properly understand the consequences.

People and spirits that are lesser than God can be offended by your actions though.
Maybe Karma was created so God didn't have to deal with it all the time;) Maybe I choose the wrong terminology when asking if we "offend" God, maybe I should have used the word disappoint. Do you see being Omniscient the same as being Omnipotent?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Instinct in Humans would simply be reacting; and yes hat to tell ya, but there are studies that show how people "statistically" react in certain situations.

But by definition every member of a given species would have to react in the same way in a given situation before the action could be labelled an instinct. All of this has to happen without the member thinking about choices. Humans never react to any situation as a group. For instance, birds never sit around all summer planning times and routes for their southern migration. Humans would have to have at least four dozen Google maps and a steering committee just to get out a state.

horizon_mj1

But by definition every member of a given species would have to react in the same way in a given situation before the action could be labeled an instinct. All of this has to happen without the member thinking about choices. Humans never react to any situation as a group. For instance, birds never sit around all summer planning times and routes for their southern migration. Humans would have to have at least four dozen Google maps and a steering committee just to get out a state.
:D good point. There though have been instances in which Humans do react to a situation as a group; this happens all the time unfortunately usually during protests of sorts. I am not trying to argue, just trying to look at every "detail";)

Me Myself

Back to my username
it doesnt surprise me at all that people do so. Its quite normal for people to prefer their own interpretation...especially when they dont like what they hear.

Prefer their own interpretation? people only have their interpretation. There is no choice to it.

Reading itself is already an act of interpretation.

uberrobonomicon4000

Well how are we going to decide on an objective concept of "perfection"?
Well with the way she used perfect, I take it she means to the best of one’s abilities for the betterment of society. I’m pretty sure she is talking about social issues. With that being said, and knowing nothing is perfect, regardless what anyone thinks or would like to believe. I don’t think it would be hard for someone to live to the best of the ability without succumbing to the disorderly nature of being imperfect.

An example would be:
Someone throwing dishes into a dishwasher vs. taking the time to wash them by hand.
As in a lazy method of getting something done vs. a non-lazy method.
Not all of the dishes are going to be spick and span when they are not done by hand.
Especially if you threw a spoon in the washer that is caked in peanut butter.
But if someone were to take the time and wash the dishes it could easily be avoided.

horizon_mj1

i think its your conscience that affects it.
Good point. When you think about it (and this is psychologically accepted as well) you are the one in control of your feelings. In other words, if something makes you happy or sad, it is you making you feel that way for whatever reason; you are the only one who can change the way you feel (if that is something you find necessary;))

Warren Clark

Informer
I guess that would all depend on who you ask; a Scientist may claim Science is God.

then the word/label/name ”God” is meaningless. science isn't something to be worshipped our adored. science its just a method we gain knowledge. the real power is in the discoveries. if we were to find out the universe was the sole cause of our existence with out Devine intervention, do you think we are going to call out God and worship it? we don't worship gravity but it keeps its alive. the knowledge of our origin is nothing but a fact that we seek. its not the Devine we seek but facts.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Good point. When you think about it (and this is psychologically accepted as well) you are the one in control of your feelings. In other words, if something makes you happy or sad, it is you making you feel that way for whatever reason; you are the only one who can change the way you feel (if that is something you find necessary;))

Eh, kind of. We cannot change our nature, we cannot control as much of ourselves as we like to think, things like that. There are parts of us we are not even aware of, may never be aware of. Similarly, things like depression can be consciously managed but still affect a depressed person. We are not nearly as in control as we like to think.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Think about it, if everything we do is known, then when we do something wrong, is this not a direct offense? We often wander why it is that our prayers can go unheard at times, but could this be due to the evil we breed among ourselves(what Divine Being would want to be in a place where Evil runs rampant?

I think that our wrongdoings are certainly displeasing to God, but, this is just my own view. I certainly don't hold a viewpoint that God is merciless, but, I do think that he can chastise us at times in an effort to teach us a better way.

We of course, have to choose what we take from such life lessons.

horizon_mj1

then the word/label/name ”God” is meaningless. science isn't something to be worshiped our adored. science its just a method we gain knowledge. the real power is in the discoveries. if we were to find out the universe was the sole cause of our existence with out Devine intervention, do you think we are going to call out God and worship it? we don't worship gravity but it keeps its alive. the knowledge of our origin is nothing but a fact that we seek. its not the Devine we seek but facts.
To some the word/label/name God is meaningless and there are in fact some people who do worship and adore it. I am already a believer that the Universe was the sole cause of our existence, but even the Universe had to have been Created as well. Maybe there are many who seek nothing more but the facts of our origin; to me this is nothing more than a minute piece of the puzzle.

Me Myself

Back to my username
No one believes "science" has sentience. (well, except me and some other crazy animists probably :D, but I don´t worship science)

If it doesn´t even have sentience, it is not a God.

Warren Clark

Informer
To some the word/label/name God is meaningless and there are in fact some people who do worship and adore it. I am already a believer that the Universe was the sole cause of our existence, but even the Universe had to have been Created as well. Maybe there are many who seek nothing more but the facts of our origin; to me this is nothing more than a minute piece of the puzzle.

the only reason behind using a filler for a missing piece of the puzzle is self comfort from fear of not knowing.

there are plenty of theories to why our universe came to be without god.
if god always was then why is it difficult that the chance of our universe becoming always was and it did.