• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do different religions have a different idea of heaven/hell? How is this possible?

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member
How do you know it was heaven? What evidence are you basing that on? Couldn't it have been merely an illusion, or the brains response to being near death. For example, when people drowned, the brain releases chemicals near the end that can cause hallucinations and feelings of euphoria.

1.. met my Grandfather without his hare lip or cleft pallet .. (I forgave him for passing on when I was only 14,
and preventing me from keeping my promise to become a Dr. and cure his heart condition)

2. he ^ predicted my Grandmothers death (soon) and condition (bowel Cancer

Skwim

Veteran Member
I believe God does not tell people about Hell until it becomes relevant.

Considering the numerous times hell is mentioned in the Old testament it must have been already quite relevant before Christ.

I believe that is not true. A loving God has to reward those who are good and punish those who are evil.
So you find eternal suffering quite justified. Sorry, but I have to conclude you're no less heartless than your god. :shrug:

I believe that is not a consequence for Christians. We are not going to Hell and soon will have no need to go to Heaven since we will have eternal life.
Now that's an Interesting spin on the salvation story. Just what Christian denomination do you belong to?

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Acquittal and parole exist in the human courts.

Besides, how does wiping away the sin help the victims? Do murder victims come back to life if the murderer repents and turns to God? At least we can keep murderers away from society, though they can still kill people in prison until we fix that problem.
We are all sinners, if I am not mistaken. So we are all victimizers.

Everybody comes back to life... eternal life.

Yes.. we can keep murderers from society. Some leave early so a change of heart is good when they get out.

Also, the Egyptians had a get out of jail card. Yahweh's not the only one. They had this thing called the Book of the Dead. Do what it says and you go to "heaven".
Never said we had the only one. However, if it is a "do as he says" there would be a difference since YHWH offers it as a gift, paid in full.

If someone cut your brakes and you didn't know it, you can be helpless when you kill someone. That's why we have charges other than first degree murder.
OK... yes, I know... not sure what that has to do with anything but I agree.

So the guy who was just trying to keep the Ark from falling to the ground was evil in his heart despite wanting to help do something good? Was that why he died?
Hmmm.... I think we are talking about two different things. There are natural consequences to violating laws but it doesn't negate forgiveness (which is spiritual) The young man that you correctly quoted from didn't go to Hell that I know of. If you go 130 miles an hour when the curve say 40m/h, you can still go to Heaven even though there are natural consequences.

(I mean, other than the fact it's a really heavy box so of course he died, but the bible says God struck him down.)
Also... please note that you are talking about people under the law and not under grace. But again, please refer to previous answer. :D

And have a Merry Christmans :)

leibowde84

Veteran Member
1.. met my Grandfather without his hare lip or cleft pallet .. (I forgave him for passing on when I was only 14,
and preventing me from keeping my promise to become a Dr. and cure his heart condition)

2. he ^ predicted my Grandmothers death (soon) and condition (bowel Cancer
Was your grandmother already diagnosed at that time?

Rational Agnostic

For example, there is only ONE New York city, and everyone regardless of their religion knows this and they would probably know what you were talking about if you said you were going to New York city. Therefore, assuming that heaven is supposed to be a place that actually exists, it stands to reason that everyone regardless of their religion should have the same idea of what and where heaven is, and they should also all be thinking of the same place when someone refers to "heaven." I myself am a Christian for what it's worth, but if, for example, Christians have a different idea of what and where heaven is than do people of other faiths, then this basically says that heaven is a place that exists only as a matter of people's religious beliefs (since it can be different based on your beliefs), and not as an actual place. If, on the other hand it is supposed to be an actual existing place, then everyone regardless of their religion would and should think of it as the same place in the same location and should all consider themselves to be going to that place when they say that they are going to heaven. Of course the same argument could be made about hell, but my point still stands.

You're starting to think critically about your beliefs. That's a good thing. Just be aware you might get kicked out of your church if you think too much.:p

Milton Platt

For example, there is only ONE New York city, and everyone regardless of their religion knows this and they would probably know what you were talking about if you said you were going to New York city. Therefore, assuming that heaven is supposed to be a place that actually exists, it stands to reason that everyone regardless of their religion should have the same idea of what and where heaven is, and they should also all be thinking of the same place when someone refers to "heaven." I myself am a Christian for what it's worth, but if, for example, Christians have a different idea of what and where heaven is than do people of other faiths, then this basically says that heaven is a place that exists only as a matter of people's religious beliefs (since it can be different based on your beliefs), and not as an actual place. If, on the other hand it is supposed to be an actual existing place, then everyone regardless of their religion would and should think of it as the same place in the same location and should all consider themselves to be going to that place when they say that they are going to heaven. Of course the same argument could be made about hell, but my point still stands.

It is possible because all of this is made up

arthra

Baha'i
For Baha'is heaven and hell are conditions of the soul. If a person is alienated/distant from God we believe that is hore like hell. If they are nearer God then it is heaven:

"We will have experience of God's spirit through His Prophets in the next world, but God is too great for us to know without this Intermediary. The Prophets know God, but how is more than our human minds can grasp. We believe we may attain in the next world to seeing the Prophets. There is certainly a future life. Heaven and hell are conditions within our own beings."

~ From a letter written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi to an individual believer, November 14, 1947

(Compilations, Lights of Guidance, p. 209)

"The greatest attainment in the world of humanity is nearness to God. Every lasting glory, honor, grace and beauty which comes to man comes through nearness to God. All the Prophets and apostles longed and prayed for nearness to the Creator."

(~ Abdu'l-Baha, The Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 146