• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do atheist's believe in psychic abilities?

kai

ragamuffin
i have seen nothig that leads me into beleiving in any supernatural,or paranormal or superstition

Jeremy Mason

OK. I'm sure there are atheists who believe in that sort of thing.

Why do you ask?

Just curious. I kinda thought that there were not any because of the whole proof thing. But if their are, I'd like to ask them a few questions.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Anything supernatural like people who have claim to see into the future ie. Edgar Casey, Nostradamaus. Stuff like that.

That is where it goes wrong :p

I believe there could be "un" natural things, but I do believe that they are actually very natural... We just didn't figure it out yet..

gnomon

Just something that I've wondered.

There are.

You can find atheists who believe in psychic abilities, reincarnation and other manner of paranormal/supernatural phenomena. There might be a higher percentage among atheists who are skeptics in regards to the paranormal but being an atheist doesn't necessarily equate with skepticism.

Me, personally...I don't buy into any of it. I keep reading polls which show that traditional religious belief is declining yet belief in the paranormal (ghosts, astrology, etc.) is on the rise. It's enough to make a skeptical atheist cry.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
Brain waves are much too weak to be picked up by another brain. We also don't have any antenna like the green guy in the Flinstones cartoon.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Just curious. I kinda thought that there were not any because of the whole proof thing. But if their are, I'd like to ask them a few questions.
Most atheists I know believe things on little or no evidence. This doesn't affect the validity of atheism, but the atheist's consistency.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I've met many atheists who profess belief in psychic abilities, in the supernatural and the unknown. They don't attribute these things to God, though.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
What Jaiket said. Also, not atheism is about a lack of proof, but if you find somone who freely indulges in that inconsistency, I'd be interested in hearing from him too.

M

Majikthise

I've met many atheists who profess belief in psychic abilities, in the supernatural and the unknown. They don't attribute these things to God, though.

The Human mind is still evolving. All of our research into it at this point is still in it's infancy. I believe there is much untapped potential we have yet to uncover. It may take thousands of years or longer to realise it , but it's there.
Religious deprication of imagination and free thought is a great hurdle to this process IMO, but a neccessary step, probably.:shrug: What doesn't kill us makes us stronger in the end.
Ghosts are the stuff of religious superstition, and that's all. UFOs are merely movie fare, though I do believe strongly that there is life out there that maybe does not fit our carbon based definition of life. All I know is that the guy with the beard and the white robe is absolute bunk.

Jeremy Mason

Brain waves are much too weak to be picked up by another brain. We also don't have any antenna like the green guy in the Flinstones cartoon.

Never-the-less, their are people like Edgar Casey who would diagnose a persons health issues and recommend medication or dietary solutions that more than often worked. I think there is a mind over matter issue than needs to be address as well as trans induced occurences that speak volumes.