• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dishing is horrible, but...

Kerr

Hi all.

Basically I just got an internship and I was of course placed in the one place I didnt want to be. The dishes. I hate dishes. Seriously, I rather spend 4 hours mowing a lawn then spend 20-30 minutes doing dishes. Especially considering I have this issue with dirty stuff. I really dont like dirty stuff. And I am a vegetarian, so meaty dirty stuff... I get extremely uncomfortable around it. And I am tall and have a bad back, that tends to hate dishing almost as much as I do. I feel like I will go insane and panic because I hate dishing so much.

But... believe it or not, I am not posting this to whine (even if my post includes a lot of whining :p). Rather I am posting this to ask something I never thought I would ask. How do I change my attitude? How to I learn to stand dishing? How do I get better at standing meaty dirty stuff?

Take care,
Kerr.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
The best advice I can think of at the moment is just to keep doing it, you'll notice that after a few months what seemed to be a big issue earlier, becomes trivial for you.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I tend to let my mind wander when doing those sort of tasks. Gardening, dishes, whatever. Can get lotsa thinking done. Of course, sooner or later you end up planting a tree in the middle of the driveway, since you're not concentrating, but it takes the edge off. Focusing on how much you hate it whilst doing it, grinding your teeth, etc, are probably NOT the ways to go.

Kerr

I tend to let my mind wander when doing those sort of tasks. Gardening, dishes, whatever. Can get lotsa thinking done. Of course, sooner or later you end up planting a tree in the middle of the driveway, since you're not concentrating, but it takes the edge off. Focusing on how much you hate it whilst doing it, grinding your teeth, etc, are probably NOT the ways to go.
Its pretty hard to let your mind wonder when you feel physically sick and have random panic-like feelings that forces you to stop and take deep breaths before you continue. Hopefully, it will work better if I drink more, since apparently you have to drink to not feel sick. If I am unlucky, its more then that (I can be very sensitive to how things smell).

In any case, I will try to let my mind wonder.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Its pretty hard to let your mind wonder when you feel physically sick and have random panic-like feelings that forces you to stop and take deep breaths before you continue. Hopefully, it will work better if I drink more, since apparently you have to drink to not feel sick. If I am unlucky, its more then that (I can be very sensitive to how things smell).

In any case, I will try to let my mind wonder.

Nose plugs, and rubber gloves??

Kerr

I cant sleep because all I can think of is dishes :(. I think I need to talk to the people and make sure they know I dont know if I can do this... silly as it may be. That way, if it turns out its too much, at least they know and are prepared for that possibility. Still going to try, though. Gosh, I feel like such a child.

Last edited:

apophenia

Especially considering I have this issue with dirty stuff. I really dont like dirty stuff. And I am a vegetarian, so meaty dirty stuff... I get extremely uncomfortable around it.

Lots of people do dishes in an awful half-a s s e d way which is disgusting and unpleasant, because they never thought it through.

Start by 'pre-washing everything' - a quick rinse under hot water, with maybe a basic swipe with a sponge, to clear off the worst gunk and flush it down the sink. Then half fill the sink with hot soapy water, and after you wash each item, run some warm water over it so it dries free of soap-streaks.

That way you don't have to deal with a sink of water full of gross food bits, fat etc. That is a filthy way to do dishes anyway IMO.

If you do it this way, and get a bit organised, it is not an unpleasant job at all.

Kerr

Honestly, the more time goes by the more I think I cant do this. I cant even sleep because of the prospect of dishing and I have a huge anxiety all the time now. And thats just after one day. They needed someone to help them with the dishes, I didnt know that. And I didnt know I would react this way. Perhaps it would be best if they found someone without my... phobic... reaction. I dont know, I am so confused :(.

Its basically a restaurant, btw. There is a LOT of dishes. If it wasnt so much, and if I wasnt supposed to stand for hours with them... there wouldnt be as much of a problem.

Last edited:

apophenia

Sounds like you need Dr Phil.

Seriously, just change your mind.

That is your only option anyway, so JUST DO IT ! Sheesh ...

:slap:

xkatz

I work part-time up at college cleaning pots and dishes, so I can empathize with your disgust :p Usually whenever I work I will just try to think of other things (ie classes, social stuff, etc.); I find it help distract me from some of the really nasty stuff I have to clean and it makes time go much quicker. I know it's easier said than done, but if you focus on other things, cleaning dishes will feel like less of a hassle.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I think that when you keep it up, you'll get used to it. Also, don't try to expect/hope for less dirty plates or something of that matter, it's likely to make the day worse when you meet with an unexpected reality. Hope that helps, and congrats on getting something!

(Want you to know, I'd also prefer to mow on for hours rather than do dishes for 20-30 minutes. Mowing is extremely relaxing for me :D)

Kerr

I think that when you keep it up, you'll get used to it. Also, don't try to expect/hope for less dirty plates or something of that matter, it's likely to make the day worse when you meet with an unexpected reality. Hope that helps, and congrats on getting something!

(Want you to know, I'd also prefer to mow on for hours rather than do dishes for 20-30 minutes. Mowing is extremely relaxing for me :D)
I think I will actually tell them I cant do it and ask for other things to do. My reaction is almost violently opposed and I can still feel the effect of one day. But I guess I will have to do more dishes at home so that I get used to it.

And I hate mowing lawns, but its at least bearable and good exercise :p. I actually managed to go from 4 hours to less then 2 because I am rather good at optimizing my work. According to some, my lawn mowing is almost mathematical, lol.

apophenia

I have done kitchen shifts in a restaurant when the automatic dishwasher broke down and I had to work absolutely flat-out washing dishes for 8 hours.And they all had to be perfect.

I have worked as a dish pig in a restaurant, with only a small double tub ( one for washing, one for rinsing), and again it was 8 hours at a time.

You simply have to get over the drama.

The fact of life is always the same - you have just one moment to endure. Just one. You are never experiencing more than one moment.

This is also how to endure severe physical pain (and I've had plenty) - there is only ONE moment.

It is the drama you are creating which is suffering.

When you are fully in the one moment, there is no room for all that hysterical drama.

Kerr

Sounds like you need Dr Phil.

Seriously, just change your mind.

That is your only option anyway, so JUST DO IT ! Sheesh ...

:slap:
I feel like I should clarify that "internship" was a bad translation. I dont know what its called in english, but its basically a job trial where you see how you react in different situations. So in this case I have the option to talk to them about it and work out a solution.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Hi all.

Basically I just got an internship and I was of course placed in the one place I didnt want to be. The dishes. I hate dishes. Seriously, I rather spend 4 hours mowing a lawn then spend 20-30 minutes doing dishes. Especially considering I have this issue with dirty stuff. I really dont like dirty stuff. And I am a vegetarian, so meaty dirty stuff... I get extremely uncomfortable around it. And I am tall and have a bad back, that tends to hate dishing almost as much as I do. I feel like I will go insane and panic because I hate dishing so much.

But... believe it or not, I am not posting this to whine (even if my post includes a lot of whining :p). Rather I am posting this to ask something I never thought I would ask. How do I change my attitude? How to I learn to stand dishing? How do I get better at standing meaty dirty stuff?

Take care,
Kerr.

I once worked in a place that processed poultry into cold-cuts. You quickly become desensitized through routine and monotony.

Pastek

Sunni muslim
I hate dishes. Seriously, I rather spend 4 hours mowing a lawn then spend 20-30 minutes doing dishes. Especially considering I have this issue with dirty stuff. I really dont like dirty stuff.

When i was younger i hated to wash the floor.
My mother asked my sister to do it, and instead i ironed the laundry.

I prefered to spend hours doing this than washing the floor.