• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Discussing the Origin of Life

gnostic

The Lost One
and I don't believe in a false God
Your god isn’t TESTABLE, therefore He ISN’T FALSIFIABLE.

Which mean God is HIGHLY IMPROBABLE entity...therefore God most likely don’t exist.

and the origin of life.....Genesis
took place
Except that creation in Genesis is a story, about the Jewish version of origin, written some times in the 7th century BCE.

This date (7th century BCE) based on the existence of the “Silver Scrolls”, an amulet found in the cave (tomb) of Ketef Hinnom, which may date as early as the reign of King Josiah of Judah (c 640 - 609 BCE) and as late as just before the fall of Jerusalem (c 587 BCE). The amulet have inscription from the Priestly Blessing, a passage from Numbers 6:23-27.

No other OT biblical text survive before the so-called “Silver Scrolls”. Look up “Ketef Hinnom” or the “Priestly Blessing”, and they will all tell you it is the oldest literary evidence (biblical text) ever found.

There are no evidence that Moses existed around 15th century BCE, no evidence that any biblical texts were written in the Late Bronze Age (eg no scrolls, tablets, manuscripts, etc), and no evidence that Moses was the author of Genesis, Exodus, Numbers and Leviticus.

And beside that, dead dust magically transformed into living man (Genesis 2:7), is not scientifically possible/probable. It is not only unscientific, it is also unnatural. You cannot turn dust into a man.

Second, the Earth couldn’t have been created (Genesis 1:1-2) BEFORE the Sun (4th day, Genesis 1:14-18). That’s not scientifically probable.

Third, it also say that land vegetation were created (3rd day, Genesis 1:11-12) BEFORE the Sun was created (4th day). Again, this is also not scientifically probable.

How can trees, bushes and herbs exist before the sun?

Genesis Creation is nothing more than a story, a myth, in which the author or authors have no understanding of how nature works. The origin story in the Bible, is just a make-believe myth and fable.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Your god isn’t TESTABLE,
Do not tempt (test)...the Lord your God

so it is written

I don't care if you do
and when the hour comes....I will stand back and watch the consequences unto to all that have done so

gnostic

The Lost One
and I believe in evolution
Day Six
Evolution required parents and offspring, passing physical traits needed for generations to come, the necessary adaptions needed for changed in environments.

Vegetation appearing out of nowhere in single day, have nothing to do with Evolution.

Fishes and other marine life and birds appearing from nothing, in a single day, again, have nothing to do with Evolution.

Land animals all created from nothing, in a single day, have nothing to do with Evolution.

Humans being created from nothing (I’m referring to Genesis 1, not 2), again, have nothing to do with Evolution.

Chapter Two is a separate event

This...creation of man from dust, is also not Evolution.

You should know this isn’t possible.

The only way any human having existed, is through natural process of reproduction: sex (which required man and woman), sperm and egg cause fertilisation, cell division, embryo growing in the womb, and eventually birth.

Also impossible as well as improbable, humans required to grow into adulthood, required stages of growth, from infancy, to toddler, to adolescent, before reaching the age of being adult.

In Genesis 2, Adam was created as adult, with no childhood.

All that in Genesis 2 is pure make-believe myth, including creation of instant adult woman from Adam’s and talking serpent is nothing more than fairytale and fable.

And those aren’t the only problem with Genesis 2.

The other problem is the order of creation in Genesis 2 completely contradicted the order of creation in Genesis 1.

Because in Genesis 1, vegetation was created in Day 3, and humans were created in Day 6.

But in Genesis 2, Adam was created first (2:7) BEFORE vegetation was ever created (2:5)

“Genesis 2:5” said:
5 ...when no plant of the field was yet in the earth and no herb of the field had yet sprung up—for the Lord God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was no one to till the ground...

2:5 clearly say there were no plants, not until after god created man, which is complete opposite what Genesis 1 is saying in Day 3.

Only after Adam was created, then vegetation were created, including the Garden of Eden (2:8).

God did it

That’s just a claim, not evidence of anything, and it is based on faith-based belief in silly primitive superstition.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's amazing that scientific facts, easily observable and testable, supported by volumes of empirical evidence, are viewed with deep suspicion by the evangelical crowd, which is constantly nitpicking, finding imagined discrepancies, and drawing illogical conclusions and even conspiracies wherever the facts cast doubt on the folklore they base their world-view on.
That is, a worldview unsupported by archaeological or historical evidence, self-contradictory, at odds with obvious scientific facts and even common sense; a worldview based on ancient writings whose origins are lost in time; believe in things no-one would believe if they were reported as contemporary news.

So what mental aberration accounts for this belief in the bizarre and unevidenced, and rejection of the reasonable, familiar and well evidenced?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Evolution required parents and offspring, passing physical traits needed for generations to come, the necessary adaptions needed for changed in environments.

Vegetation appearing out of nowhere in single day, have nothing to do with Evolution.

Fishes and other marine life and birds appearing from nothing, in a single day, again, have nothing to do with Evolution.

Land animals all created from nothing, in a single day, have nothing to do with Evolution.

Humans being created from nothing (I’m referring to Genesis 1, not 2), again, have nothing to do with Evolution.

This...creation of man from dust, is also not Evolution.

You should know this isn’t possible.

The only way any human having existed, is through natural process of reproduction: sex (which required man and woman), sperm and egg cause fertilisation, cell division, embryo growing in the womb, and eventually birth.

Also impossible as well as improbable, humans required to grow into adulthood, required stages of growth, from infancy, to toddler, to adolescent, before reaching the age of being adult.

In Genesis 2, Adam was created as adult, with no childhood.

All that in Genesis 2 is pure make-believe myth, including creation of instant adult woman from Adam’s and talking serpent is nothing more than fairytale and fable.

And those aren’t the only problem with Genesis 2.

The other problem is the order of creation in Genesis 2 completely contradicted the order of creation in Genesis 1.

Because in Genesis 1, vegetation was created in Day 3, and humans were created in Day 6.

But in Genesis 2, Adam was created first (2:7) BEFORE vegetation was ever created (2:5)

2:5 clearly say there were no plants, not until after god created man, which is complete opposite what Genesis 1 is saying in Day 3.

Only after Adam was created, then vegetation were created, including the Garden of Eden (2:8).

That’s just a claim, not evidence of anything, and it is based on faith-based belief in silly primitive superstition.
I don't read Genesis as you do

and I would think .....after all these years
knowing you have read some of my post work......

you would be more aware of my belief

or maybe.....if it suits your convenience....
you just assume what I believe

gnostic

The Lost One
I don't read Genesis as you do

and I would think .....after all these years
knowing you have read some of my post work......

you would be more aware of my belief

or maybe.....if it suits your convenience....
you just assume what I believe
I read it as it, instead of trying to take them out-of-context as you do.

I also no longer interpret Genesis with church teachings that also take passages out-of-context, by mixing Old Testament with New Testament.

I also know now that Genesis is neither history, nor science, so trying to make it so, does more damage to the original story.

The thing you need to remember that when Genesis and other books were composed around the mid-1st millennium BCE, it was for the people of Judah and Israel, not for modern societies, so trying to push the context to fit today, is like pushing square block in smaller round hole.

I don’t fault the people who wrote these books, but I do find faults with creationists like yourself trying to interpret the way you believe than the way originally meant for the Jews of those time.

No, Thief, you are the same as all other creationists I have come so far.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The thing you need to remember that when Genesis and other books were composed
by people who seem to have insider info

picture yourself at the campfire.....and the old man says....

God took a rib from the man as he slept

think about it

and the rib was increased to full stature......in female form

sounds like anesthesia
surgery
and cloning
and genetic manipulations

they likely did not understand

WHAT?.......remove a rib
and the man did not die....!!!!!!!

and he slept through it.....!!!!!

gnostic

The Lost One
by people who seem to have insider info

picture yourself at the campfire.....and the old man says....

God took a rib from the man as he slept

think about it

and the rib was increased to full stature......in female form

sounds like anesthesia
surgery
and cloning
and genetic manipulations

they likely did not understand

WHAT?.......remove a rib
and the man did not die....!!!!!!!
and he slept through it.....!!!!!

You don’t know what cloning is.

If god was doing cloning, he would be making another man, not a woman. Eve would have penis instead of vagina.

Cloning mean copy, having the exact dna.

And even with cloning, you don’t make “instant” adult.

You have been watching too many sci-fi. You are just making creation even more ridiculous by comparing the story with modern procedure, and still taking Genesis completely out-of-context.

It is these types of interpretations that made me move away from Christianity in the first place, towards agnosticism. Creationists are Christianity’s worse enemies.

Milton Platt

I thought that living things can't be considered closed systems, ( Closed systems don't exist ) so does " For any spontaneous process, the free energy of a system must decrease from its initial value at the beginning of that process " mean a living thing when it says " a system " ?

As a side thought..

Maybe the apparent rarity of life in the known universe itself is an example of the fluctuation theorem - that there's always some nonzero probability that entropy actually decrease ?

I've been thinking about this too, just ordered What is Life? by Schrödinger this afternoon

Given that we have never left our own solar system, it is premature to suggest that life is rare.

Onoma

Given that we have never left our own solar system, it is premature to suggest that life is rare.

Well, technically we haven't, but we have two probes that are technically considered to have left the solar system ( Outside the heliosphere )

Maybe " rare " isn't the best term to use. In between the Kardashev scale and the Fermi paradox there are quite a few possible scenarios

My own belief is that humans or humanoids at various evolutionary stages are possibly common in the universe, but perhaps very limited in contact with each other due to constraints of physics

In such, many " earths " could have come and gone, countless civilizations unaware of the existence of others, but still wondering

*shrugs*