1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Disagreements over how/when to reopen schools

Discussion in 'North American Politics' started by Stevicus, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Stevicus

Stevicus Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,722
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Coronavirus spike jeopardizes opening of schools, L.A. County's top health official warns

As COVID-19 pandemic continues, opinions differ in debate over reopening of schools

Arizona has now become the new hot spot, and it seems clear that they reopened too early. I was sort of hoping that the summer heat would slow things down a bit, but that was not to be.

Meanwhile, Trump and his Education Secretary are insisting that the schools open, and they're even threatening to cut off federal aid to schools that fail to reopen.

I don't know if it's true that schools in Germany, Denmark, Norway, and Sweden have schools open with no problems. The article mentions that schools have reopened in some countries, but there's debate over what conclusions can be drawn.

But there's also widespread agreement that these long-term school closures are harming students academically and psychologically.

Parents who aren't equipped to homeschool their children are becoming exasperated. I can see where it can be a hardship, especially for families who can't afford computers or internet. I'm not sure what they're going to do.

Other suggestions include having sprawling schedules so that they would have fewer students at any one time and easier to enforce social distancing.

I think it's too early to reopen the schools. They reopened in Arizona too early, and now we're paying the price. It's unbelievable that they're talking about withholding funding to schools which don't reopen.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Lyndon

Lyndon "Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,575
    Religion:
    Theism+Jesus(pbuh) influenced by....... Taoism and Buddhism
    Schools are funded by the state, Trump has no say over what they do, as usual he's bluffing, he has no control over whether schools open or not.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mindmaster

Mindmaster Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,896
    Religion:
    Advaita Vedanta
    The hardest part of educating children at home at extremely young ages, and I assure you that's where the bulk of the complaints are as far as homeschooling goes. The youngins learn way faster but have no patience for excessive detail. Once they hit around age 10 that completely changes and honestly could learn anything adults do with some explanation. The young ones are unable to deal with online instruction, and still, really learn hands-on the best. However, that being said there are tons of homeschool programs that address this and this is not a problem -- it's the school institutions that are at fault for this, homeschoolers have being doing these things for centuries without a problem. It's all about the material provided and how it is used. If you are getting a homeschool program from a reputable vendor there is no problem in this regard. (Most of the materials they send you will accommodate these small children and NOT be on the computer.) But, schools hate this... It cuts them out of the loop because it is not their area of expertise. Homeschool is really _way_ better on the learning front as you can tailor the program directly to your child's interests and aptitudes. They really end up learning WAY more.

I've said it before on here many times... We don't need these institutions, it's the old way of doing things and it's way more expensive than a normal homeschool program that usually ends up with more education. It avoids all sorts of stupid problems too like safety, bullying, drug use, and so on.

This is mostly true, but it's also true that a lot of money comes via the federal government. In many places, the real estate tax isn't high enough to cover the cost of education and there's no business sector to take it from. Fed steps in here in a big way. Personally, I don't care if they're ever open... outdated learning model...

• Like Like x 1
  4. lostwanderingsoul

lostwanderingsoul Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,073
    Religion:
    seeking
    Children can't vote so the elected officials don't care if a few die.

5. Twilight Hue

Twilight Hue The gentle embrace of twilight has become my guide

Ratings:
    +11,395
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    That's true but he can withhold federal funding.

6. Twilight Hue

Twilight Hue The gentle embrace of twilight has become my guide

Ratings:
    +11,395
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    Actually children are quite resistant to the virus although there were a few who have actually died.

Personally I think it should be a decision best left to the parents.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Brickjectivity

Brickjectivity Veteran Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,593
    Religion:
    Liberal Christian
    Unelected officials care even less, historically. It should be noted.

8. pcarl

pcarl Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,980
    Religion:
    Catholic
    It will be interesting to see how our governor responds as he has been quite cautious about opening schools too soon, and will follow the scientists more than Trump, which is a problem for him as a republican governor.

9. ecco

ecco Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +5,303
    Religion:
    atheist
    I'm sure you have good evidence for that assertion. I'd sure like to see it.

10. Altfish

Altfish Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +7,898
    Religion:
    Humanist
    Schools are starting to reopen in England, but with smaller classes, usually only part-time and in many cases not all years.

11. columbus

columbus yawn <ignore> yawn

Ratings:
    +15,696
    Religion:
    None
    That's irrelevant.
    They can easily get infected and pass the virus on to people far more at risk.

Why is this so hard to understand?
    We healthy, low risk folks, are hugely inconveniencing ourselves for the sake of people like my mother-in-law.
    Tom

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. ChristineM

ChristineM "Be strong" I whispered to my coffee.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +18,242
    Religion:
    None
    Reopening schools in france has been, shall we say interesting. The government decreed that some junior schools can open over 2 months ago, depending on a/ the area and b/ the assessment of the local mayor. We are in a green area so the first hurdle was no problem. Our mayor asked the parents by sending out a simple questionnaire, "should our village school re-open?"

Around 30% replied yes, 30% replied no and 40% of parents did not respond. The school remained closed

It was reopened at the beginning of july with small classes split morning / afternoon.

Senior schools were not to open in may but would open in june. Same arrangement with half the students attending in the morning and half in the afternoon.

Colleges and universities will not open until at least September, if there is any sign of a second wave then not even then

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. Brickjectivity

Brickjectivity Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +9,593
    Religion:
    Liberal Christian

"Many countries today claim to be democracies, but if the citizens are not involved in government and politics, they are democratic in name only. Some governments are more democratic than others, but systems cannot be considered truly democratic unless the meet certain criteria:" -- from Comparing Governments [ushistory.org]

President Denis Sassou Nguesso of the Congo
    President Miguel Diaz-Canel of Cuba
    President Teodoro Mbasogo of Equatorial Guinea
    President Isaias Afwerki of Eritrea
    Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed of Ethiopia
    President Albert-Bernard Bongo of Gabon
    President Hassan Rouhani of Iran
    President Barham Salih of Iraq
    President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev of Kazakhstan
    President Bounnhang Vorachith of Laos
    President Nouri Abusahmain of Libya
    President Mohamed Ould Ghazouani of Mauritania
    President Daniel Ortego of Nicaragua
    President Kim Jong-un of North Korea
    Sultan Qaboos bin Said Al-Said of Oman
    Emir Tamin Al Thani of Qatar
    President Vladimir Putin of Russia
    President Paul Kagame of Rwanda
    King Abdullah Aziz Al Saud of Saudi Arabia
    President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed of Somalia
    President Salva Kiir Mayardit of South Sudan
    President Abdel Fattah Abdelrahman Burhan of Sudan
    King Mswati III of Swaziland
    President Bashar al-Assad of Syria
    President Emomalii Rahmon of Tajikistan
    Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha of Thailand
    Chairman Losang Jamcan of Tibet
    Prime Minister Recep Erdogan of Turkey
    President Gurbanguly Berdimuhammedow of Turkmenistan
    President Yoweri Museveni of Uganda
    King Sheikh Khalifa Nahyan of the United Arab Emirates
    President Shavkat Mirziyoyev of Uzbekistan
    President Nicolas Maduro of Venezuela
    President Nguyen Phu Trong of Vietnam
    President Brahim Ghali of Western Sahara
    President Abd Al-Hadi of Yemen
    These are all either unelected or use rigged elections. Notice most of them have a reputation as killers. Note that rigged elections are treachery and are suppression of public opinion through intimidation, betrayal and disrespect.

With few exceptions (I know of none) they rule with intimidation. They are unrestrained by the people's vote. Here they are, unelected. They are not restrained by elections. Of these they're all, with few or no exceptions, murderers. Its public record, not a guess. You simply don't cross these people in their countries, and they do as they wish. Are these names not enough? There are plenty of historical examples, too; ones that have died. Actually its the dead ones that we can get more information about. The living ones punish anyone who accuses themselves of anything, yet we do get reports and hear about their terrible deeds.

Consider their policies. Who comes first? Themselves, always. They are unrestrained by elections.

Now on the other hand consider elected officials. They are inhibited from always serving themselves, because they have to seek reelection. They have to watch their backs for whistleblowers and complications of the bureaucracies. Their power is always in question, has limitations, and they feel the threat of punishment for wrongs.

Oh, yes. Elected officials have no choice but to care a little bit more than the unelected ones.

14. Polymath257

Polymath257 Think & Care

Ratings:
    +18,026
    Religion:
    Non-theist
    I'm at a university in Illinois (in the US) and it looks like we are going to be opening, at least to some extent. I was told the goal is to have 80% online, with a consideration for labs and special needs situations.

That said, a lot is up in the air and depends on how this pandemic evolves. We don't have a final exam schedule for the fall semester, which we usually have a year ahead of time (it is being 'reviewed') and it is far from clear that FTF classes will actually happen.

From a personal perspective, I have asthma and already have scarring in my lungs. Getting this virus would, for me, likely be a death sentence. I really don't see a way to safely teach a classroom full of students, even with plexiglass, face masks, etc. The hallways alone will be locations for spreading this virus quickly through the population here. Exams will be a nightmare. Most professors and instructors are either 'at risk' or live with someone who is.

On the other hand, a big part of the college experience is interaction with others on campus. And, the best teaching results tend to be those that are FTF. Furthermore, the Federal government (Trump) is starting to weigh in, threatening to hold back funding and denying visas to foreign students (many instructors are in this category, which causes more problems staffing classes). So there is a LOT of pressure to have FTF classes.

Given how poorly this crisis has been managed in the US, I don't see a safe way to have FTF classes in the fall. I'm not convinced we will have things under control enough by the spring semester to open up.

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +14,280
    Religion:
    ecumenical & naturalistic Catholic
    Which is nothing short of being demonic, imo.

Sweden has paid a much higher price than the other Scandinavian counties by going for "herd immunity", and they have one of the best healthcare systems in the world.

True.

That I believe is the overall best short-term solution until the numbers come down, matched with some distance learning.

Yes, and I'm following that as one of our relatives lives near Scottsdale.

Be careful-- please take care.

BTW, one of my granddaughters (19 yrs. old) was just diagnosed with the covid virus two days ago, and she's going through quite a bit of pain already, so please pray for her.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Nakosis

Nakosis crystal soldier
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,485
    Religion:
    Atheist Libertarian
    The POTUS can't actually do much harm, even with funding, he has to work with the congress and courts.
    Still, generally gets to take the blame for every failure though.
    For the most part, whoever is POTUS doesn't have a lot of effect on my life. At best, some extra media entertainment.

17. sun rise

sun rise "This is the Hour of God"
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +20,916
    Religion:
    Love
    This is a perfect illustration why simplistic "send kids back to school" is a terrible idea because it ignores teachers who have medical issues as well as the impact of deaths in older people and the real possibility of long-term problems on the kids themselves.

We need a calm, fact-based discussion not ignorant sloganeering.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Hubert Farnsworth

Hubert Farnsworth Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,511
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Well if it makes you feel any better I read that asthma is NOT a major risk factor for COVID. One of my relatives friends got the virus while in her 90s with major health problems and survived. While obviously a serious virus, even people in the high risk categories survive the majority of the time. But in any case, if you don't feel comfortable teaching face to face you should have every right to make your classes online even if the university is going FTF. Everyone should be given a choice to do what they feel is safest for them.

19. Hubert Farnsworth

Hubert Farnsworth Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,511
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    I think online schooling is doable as long as the schools provide computers for each child in every family.

• Like Like x 1
  20. tytlyf

tytlyf The Mind Eye

Ratings:
    +2,668
    The reason republicans want schools is to open falls back on privatizing education. Republicans despise public education funding, they feel that money should go to private schools, religious schools, etc.
    So IOW, republicans and their pro-corporate education agenda is losing money while students aren't there. It's all about corporations losing money. It's not about the kids.

State Policy Network - SourceWatch

BTW, Stephen Moore (SPN) just on Fox again.

Capitalists view students/kids as $$. That's it.

#20 tytlyf, Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2020