• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Obama Do Enough About Russian Involmement In The 2016 Election?

suncowiam

Well I have heard/read both sides of the argument. Some say it was correct for Obama to keep silent on Russia involvement in the 2016 election whereas others disagree.
Obama White House Knew of Russian Election Hacking, but Delayed Telling
How say you?

I have a feeling we don't have all the information to actually give a valid opinion.

Given what I know, I don't think he did because I don't think there is a conclusion on whether the Russians influenced the election.

suncowiam

They all like blaming Trump.

Even though it was still Obama's watch as commandant..er Commander n chief.

Well, the question concerning Trump is whether he colluded as opposed to allow Russian involvement. He has no responsibility to prevent involvement, but he definitely should not cooperate with the Russians. I think that is a fair distinction. You agree?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Well I have heard/read both sides of the argument. Some say it was correct for Obama to keep silent on Russia involvement in the 2016 election whereas others disagree.
How say you?

I wonder what Obama thinks now. If he could have done differently to affect the outcome of the election. Or maybe feels nothing he could have done to save Hillary.

images

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Well, the question concerning Trump is whether he colluded as opposed to allow Russian involvement. He has no responsibility to prevent involvement, but he definitely should not cooperate with the Russians. I think that is a fair distinction. You agree?

Definitely.

The United States government of course would never get itself involved with another country's election process.

Other countries like Russia needs to follow our own national example of
non interference.

tytlyf

Not Religious
I can't view the article but have heard about the story. Of course the president is going to be informed of threats and activities from the IA's. What is Obama going to do making it public? This is a distraction. Another nothingburger.
Let's let the investigation finish, that way we can know if there is evidence of Trump collusion. Right now we don't have evidence that Trump was involved with his campaign and their investigation.

The answer will come out when the evidence/facts are done.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I can't view the article but have heard about the story. Of course the president is going to be informed of threats and activities from the IA's. What is Obama going to do making it public? This is a distraction. Another nothingburger.
Let's let the investigation finish, that way we can know if there is evidence of Trump collusion. Right now we don't have evidence that Trump was involved with his campaign and their investigation.

The answer will come out when the evidence/facts are done.

You seem to be conflating two different issues.

1. Russians hacked various aspects of our most recent election. Obama didn't do enough to stop that. The hacks continue and Trump is doing his best to ignore that whole thing.

2. A separate question is whether Trump or some of his associates colluded with that hacking.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member

tytlyf

Not Religious
You seem to be conflating two different issues.

1. Russians hacked various aspects of our most recent election. Obama didn't do enough to stop that. The hacks continue and Trump is doing his best to ignore that whole thing.

2. A separate question is whether Trump or some of his associates colluded with that hacking.
1. Obama couldn't do more to stop it. It's not his business. The FBI/CIA etc are the ones watching out. What would you prefer Obama to do?

2. I'm pretty sure the associates worked with Russia to find 'ways' to get more dirt on Hillary. And hackers were hired, used, then spread the information via wikileaks.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
How say you?
I think the article points out the main problem:
We had a candidate (Trump) that was already calling into question the validity of the election process. If Obama had more publicly announced the Russian interference, it would have been spun as a political move to discredit that candidate. Even worse, it would further degrade trust in the election, destabilizing our democracy, which was probably just as much a motive for the Russians as getting Trump elected was. And, Trump, unwittingly, played right into that narrative.

Our intelligence agencies were obviously working on the issue, and officials who needed to be informed were informed. The public was informed Oct 6th. Obama also placed sanctions on Russia for the election interference, which the Trump administration sought to immediately lift (I don't think they actually did it though).

So, the Obama administration did seem to respond appropriately to the threat, while trying to walk a fine balance to maintain a peaceful democratic process. The main beef regarding his handling seems to be that he didn't do enough to inform the public. I agree that more could have been done. I also agree that this could have backfired. I imagine that we would have had just as many people, if not more, believing that the Russian interference was a political hoax designed to hurt Trump.

Which, unironically, is the stance that many Trump supporters had been holding until the evidence became undeniable, including Trump himself.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
So you're upset because Obama effectively helped Trump get elected, by not stopping the Russian influence, you can't win for losing!!

esmith

Veteran Member
So you're upset because Obama effectively helped Trump get elected, by not stopping the Russian influence, you can't win for losing!!
Nope I just despise Obama as much as you and others despise President Trump

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Nope I just despise Obama as much as you and others despise President Trump
That would be difficult, but your embrace of a persistent liar and vulgar narcissist is fully noted. Such devotion should be rewarded. Here's a picture you enlarge, crop, and hang in your house.

side-by-side.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x720.jpg

Last edited: