• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Jesus say he was God???

JM2C

CHRISTIAN
It just amazes me that some seemingly think we're illiterate dolts.
Not really, after all The Lord Jesus Christ said to the Samaritan woman, Jn 4:22 Ye worship that which ye know not: we worship that which we know; for salvation is from the Jews.

The full revelation of God in the O.T. came to the Jews first and through them/Jews to the Gentiles in the N.T.. Christians then and today did not have to translate the O.T. prophecy about The Lord Jesus Christ, the apostles did, especially Paul a Benjamite, and they, the apostles, were all Semitic Jews except of course for Luke thought to be a Gentile.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Not really, after all The Lord Jesus Christ said to the Samaritan woman, Jn 4:22 Ye worship that which ye know not: we worship that which we know; for salvation is from the Jews.

The full revelation of God in the O.T. came to the Jews first and through them/Jews to the Gentiles in the N.T.. Christians then and today did bbnot have to translate the O.T. prophecy about The Lord Jesus Christ, the apostles did, especially Paul a Benjamite, and they, the apostles, were all Semitic Jews except of course for Luke thought to be a Gentile.

And you somehow think that the rest of us Jews are oblivious to what the "O.T." says? We sure must be that ignorant, right?

JM2C

CHRISTIAN
And you somehow think that the rest of us Jews are oblivious to what the "O.T." says? We sure must be that ignorant, right?
No! not at all. How could you say that when you are the one who said,
Thirdly, it's also not a bad idea to remember that when you are using the "O.T.", we were wrote it, studied it, commented on it for centuries, translated it, and passed it on to others long before Jesus ever set foot on this Earth.

icebuddy

Does the devil lift Jesus up?
Let me recommend that the above could be dramatically improved by putting this before many of the sentences above: "I believe...", or some words equivalent to that.

It is clear to me that this is what I believe not sure what to say that it wasn't so clear to you. I thought that's what everybody was doing putting what they believe on this.

Secondly, it's not a bad idea to remember that all scripture is subjective

Not everything is subjective. For example how many gods do you believe and why

Thirdly, it's also not a bad idea to remember that when you are using the "O.T.", we wrote it, studied it, commented on it for centuries, translated it, and passed it on to others long before Jesus ever set foot on this Earth. It just amazes me that some seemingly think we're illiterate dolts.

We were also either Jews or Gentiles who descended from those who wrote it studied it and comment on it. Never did I say you were illiterate. It does make me wonder how you think you have ESP. Don't read into my post something that is not there.

Added: What I am not saying or implying with the above is that there's no room for differing interpretations, as that approach is very much a part of our tradition.

It seems you have answered my post with out answering my thoughts. Let me ask you do you believe in the New Testament or just the Jewish books of Moses Torah...

Last edited:

icebuddy

Agreed, not really your personal belief.

The trinity defies logic and reason as written, and you didn't make it orthodoxy. A court hearing/council did that

This was just ancient mens attempt to keep monotheism with multiple deities.

Do you believe that you are body soul and spirit? There are a lot of things that defied logic, just ask an atheist or evolutionist if God exist. Some things that we take for granted others think absurd.

I would say one Deity expressing himself multiple ways. God created everything and just like the universe that is made up of time space and matter shows us something of God. Or the human being itself made of body soul and spirit. In whom we are made in his likeness's.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
I don't think christians should be in the business of quoting any othe the laws wriiten in the old testament if they themselves aren't following all 600+ laws......The laws say not to eat pork or shelfish yet many of you do so I don't get why you guys quote the laws if you yourselves aren't following them.....:shrug:
Since they have not applied in 200 years I agree. Christianity is grace entered not legally centered. If all we have are laws we are hypocrites with a philosophy. I defend Christ who forgives not a law which condemns.

metis

It is clear to me that this is what I believe not sure what to say that it wasn't so clear to you. I thought that's what everybody was doing putting what they believe on this.

What you were doing, which granted is done by many people here, is to take opinions but word them as they come out as being facts. Yes, I know it's inconvenient to always right "I believe..." or whatever, but it still is important to do so when it's citing opinion.

Not everything is subjective. For example how many gods do you believe and why

I have no particular belief in a god or gods, and yes it is subjective since we simply have no way of ascertaining whether there's one god, many gods, or none. If we knew for certain which it was, then it could be objective.

It seems you have answered my post with out answering my thoughts. Let me ask you do you believe in the New Testament or just the Jewish books of Moses Torah...

I really don't have a belief one way or another as what I do is to read scriptures in any religion as allegory, learn from them, and then apply that what seems to be helpful.

metis

No! not at all. How could you say that when you are the one who said,

Sorry, but I misread what you had posted because I was in a hurry, so I misinterpreted your intent. I'll definitely try to be more careful from now on.

icebuddy

What you were doing, which granted is done by many people here, is to take opinions but word them as they come out as being facts. Yes, I know it's inconvenient to always right "I believe..." or whatever, but it still is important to do so when it's citing opinion.

I get it, wait I believe I get it. Lol. Anyways don't we all think what we believe is fact in some fashion one way or another.

I have no particular belief in a god or gods, and yes it is subjective since we simply have no way of ascertaining whether there's one god, many gods, or none. If we knew for certain which it was, then it could be objective.

Well to me there is only one God. Although there are many gods and many lords.

I really don't have a belief one way or another as what I do is to read scriptures in any religion as allegory, learn from them, and then apply that what seems to be helpful.

Not having a belief is a belief to me. I'm assuming your background is Jewish but let me ask a direct question what would be your direct background of religion be

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
I guess that begs the question what do you believe Jesus emptied himself of in order to become a man?

The point isn't what I believe but what does your scripture say. Your scripture, according to the text that quote the biblical Yeshua, no information is given.

Do you believe Jesus emptied himself? please explain your interpretation of Philippians 2:5-8

This isn't about one's personal belief. I've already explained with the biblical Yeshua said. In your scripture he presents and explains his being and nature and at no time does any suggest he's "God" rather he has a god over him giving him commandments.

If Jesus was with God you have to believe he was something

I believe, according to your very on scripture, that he "existed". Your scriptures don't leave any room for me to speculation what he was before his god sent him or what he was when, according toy your scripture, he ascended. Both show he was seperate from his god.

What do you believe he was an angel

Again, I never said he was. You have me confused with someone else.

And yes the second Jesus became a man the father became his God.

Not according to your scripture. The biblical Yeshua says he has a god before being sent, after being sent and after his ascension....

We believe Jesus had all authority gave it up to became a man and then was given it back.

Not according to your scripture. The biblical Yeshua seems to maintain he has authority granted him by his god on Earth and in heaven. This would mean before his god sent him he had authority given to him and after his god sent him he maintained that authority...which is why the phrase (all authority is given to me in heaven and on Earth) make sense...Also see his prayer to his god (John 17:2) where he utter the same thing...

How many times do you think Jesus was given authority? once twice three times? He was only given authority after he was raised from the dead.

Not according to your very own scripture.....and I just explained to you that he had been given that authority before being sent and before his ascension back to heaven (so your scripture says)

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Yet Paul knew the law pretty well.

BUT, Judaic law was followed differently by all Jews from this period.

There was no orthodox view of any kind.

They were multi cultural and had very diverse definition of Judaism and adherence to these laws.

One could be a gentile and just swear off pagan gods and be considered Jewish just turning to monotheism.

Judaism was broken up into so many diveres sects one could write a book and not describe all the differences.

Sorry brother not preaching to you as much as adding to how correct you are

Thanks....:D

1robin

Christian/Baptist
I guess that begs the question what do you believe Jesus emptied himself of in order to become a man?

Do you believe Jesus emptied himself? please explain your interpretation of Philippians 2:5-8
I do not believe a mere man would allow for any interpretation of the verse. I did not empty myself of anything before I was born. So whatever Jesus may be a mere man is not among them.

metis

I get it, wait I believe I get it. Lol. Anyways don't we all think what we believe is fact in some fashion one way or another.

For some,yes; for some, no. As for the latter group, yes I do believe most of us, including myself, have leanings, but I don't equate them as being fact.

Well to me there is only one God. Although there are many gods and many lords.

Let me ask a rhetorical question: why is it supposedly necessary to believe if there's no real objective information? Again, one could "lean" in a particular direction but I really doubt one must somehow believe if they feel there's insufficient evidence. OTOH, if you feel there is sufficient evidence, that's a diferrent matter, and I not gonna press you on this.

Not having a belief is a belief to me. I'm assuming your background is Jewish but let me ask a direct question what would be your direct background of religion be

How can no belief be a belief?

As far as the latter question is concerned, Jews are all over the board on this even though Judaism posits one god. As for me, I "lean" in the direction of naturalism, ala Spinoza/Einstein style, which "leans" :D in the direction that whatever caused this universe/multiverse I'll call "God" and pretty much just leave it at that.

Jensen

Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”
Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah,
It's been a while since I posted here, but I'm on my iPhone so I must be shorter than I like.
Saying Jesus would have corrected him is not entirely correct. For example, Jesus is more
Than just "the son of God", he is also a man, a god (for arguement same), a king, an angel (again for argument sake), messiah, and many more. If the answer was you are the messiah, do you think he would of been corrected?

In love

Jesus did not need to correct Peter because Peter spoke correctly when he said that
“You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God" which is why he said " Blessed are you, Simon....

Jensen

You need to be careful how you express yourself. Clearly Isaiah 9:6 calls Jesus "mighty God", so to say to those that believe Jesus is God are not being revealed something isn't very conclusive. Clearly Jesus is called God in the scriptures. You may disagree with ones understanding, but to say or think Jesus isn't called God doesn't exhaust all scriptures.

In love

It doesn't say that he is called "mighty God" but "mighty god" being that all letters were of the same case. Also the bible calls men "gods" and this does not mean they are God.

Psalms 82 ...5They do not know nor do they understand; They walk about in darkness; All the foundations of the earth are shaken. 6I said, "You are gods, And all of you are sons of the Most High. 7"Nevertheless you will die like men And fall like any one of the princes."…

Do you see my point?

Welcome back Tom.:)

Jensen

Do you believe Jesus was an angel or archangel? Does that mean since Jesus is the son of god as a man, that he cannot be anything else? Jesus emptied himself to become a man, some believe he emptied himself of God and others of being an Angel or something along those lines.

He emptied himself of his own Will, and desires, to do only the Will of God.
If we were to do the same thing we would not be God either.

Jensen

It is our Christian belief that Jesus emptied himself of something that made him a man. What ever he emptied himself of is what makes him human and like us in every way. It is the belief that our judge has judged us and then took off his robe and bore our penalty. In this human state of existence Jesus for sure could suffer mans sufferings and although he was in the exact radiance and glory of God and Gods imprint stamped out in a human body, he had the flaws of man.

In love

He was the image of God, there is no verses that say he was Gods imprint stamped out in a human body.

Yes Jesus was called mighty God but never the Almighty.That title is reserved only for the most High.Many think that when it says that Jesus is the "exact representation of God's being" that it means Jesus is God in the flesh.This is incorrect.It is saying that Jesus possesses Gods qualities.His attributes,which are Love,Wisdom,Justice and Power.When mankind was created in the Garden of Eden this is what was also meant.God is a spirit.His image cannot be seen by humans.Humans were not literally created to look like God.It speaks of his qualities.

Muffled

Jesus in me
No.he is not God.You misunderstand the meaning in the holy scriptures.Jesus is clearly explaining he is not God.

John 20:17 Jesus said, "Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, 'I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.'"

Jesus is calling the Father his God.God does not have a God.Only those who have been created have a God.Jesus is the Son of the Most High.The Almighty God.

I believe you are interpreting according to your own wishful thinking istead of actually listening to what is being said. I also believe repeating a falshood will never make it true.

I believe you have no evidence to support this statement. I believe God is His God and it could not be otherwise.

I believe you are interpreting according to your own wishful thinking istead of actually listening to what is being said. I also believe repeating a falshood will never make it true.

I believe you have no evidence to support this statement. I believe God is His God and it could not be otherwise.
Yes, that is what I said. God the Almighty is Jesus' God.Jesus is the Son of God.