• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Jesus say he was God???

Muffled

Jesus in me
Yes, [John 10v36] Jesus used 'I am' when Jesus said, "I am the Son of God".
Jesus never left out the words: 'the Son of'.

If YHWH has no meaning then why do we find it in the Dead Sea Scroll?

The Codex Leningrad B 19a of the 11th century has the Tetragrammaton to read as Yehwah, Yehwih, and Yehowah. Yehweh is a common accepted pronunciation of God's name. Ginsburg's Masoretic text reads the divine name as Yehowah. Many scholars agree God's name is more likely in the three syllables and not two. 'Hallelujah' is short for praise Jah or Yah. [Jah being the Latinized form] Psalm 150. Most KJV show God's name [Tetragrammaton] appearing in its acceptable English translation at: Psalm 83v18.
YHWH means: He that causes to become.

All that you did was restate what you said before. How do you get a translation of YHWH? Also you have not responded to the fact that the four letters for the translated "I am the one who is" that Moses was told to tell the people who He was is not the same four letters as the YHWH. They are different names.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I think the concept of him being God was misinterpreted. I think he thought that the divine dwells within everyone. I don't think anyone is so egotistical as to think they are actually God in the sense they are supreme over everyone else, at least I don't hope so...

I don't see it as egotistical for God to see Himself as God. He is just expressing reality.

Muffled

Jesus in me
So if the tetragrammaton was never translated into Greek, than that proves my point even more. When Jesus said "Ego Emi" (I am), obviously, he wasn't claiming to be Yehowah, because, as you mentioned, the name of Yehowah is never translated to Greek! However, what I did say is that if you were to translate the meaning of the Tetragrammaton in Greek, it would be "Ego Emi Ha On", and not "Ego Emi".

Also, unless I am sorely mistaken, isn't Hebrew read from RIGHT to left?

That is correct. Jesus did not use the Yehowah name He used the "I am the one who is" name that Jehovah gave to Moses to identify Himself. He also called Himself the God of Abaham, Isaac and Jacob. So the fact that Jesus used the "I am" name does not make Him less God for not have used the Yehowah name.

No! These are two different names found in two different places in the text. There is no translation for the Yehowah name. The Hebrew for the other name comes out literally "I am who is" but in English we would never use that phrase so the literal translation is not good English, therefore I use "I am the one who is" which is the phrase we would use.

Ah, but does it read HWHY in Hebrew and getrs turned around in Greek?

Last edited:

look3467

Premium Member
What would Jesus do? It is a speculation based on the nature of His teachings an d actions one would suppose but as in all speculations there is no evidence that He would do the exact same thing in a different situation. For instance his sojourn on earth was so peaceful that he wouldn't hurt a flea but in Revelations He is shown killing millions.

What you are seeing is with the natural eye the things that to the eye and mind, the natural seem the way you described.

WWJD is exactly what He did in order to accomplish His mission as ordered by the Father.

Having said that, there are somethings that have to be looked at with the spiritual eye, that if not looked at in that way, there are no natural explanations.

For example; the words like devouring, consuming, multiplying, mountains, rivers, hills, ten thousand times ten thousands, dust, clouds, waters, beasts, grape clusters, winepress, former rain, latter rain, as the stars, gates of brass, gates of Iron, virgin birth, travailing with child etc, etc, the list goes on and on.

The point is that there can not be the character of a loving God and at the same time the Character of a murderous God.
It is either one or the other, and in which case, God's Character is totally demonstrated in the natural in Jesus.

If people can not see it that way, is because they have not the spirit of God in them.

What I mean by not having the spirit of God in them is that God has to open our spiritual eyes so that we may see His spiritual character as a loving God: without exception.

Jesus, has to be born again and again in each individual soul and allowed to prosper alongside the flesh as He is the power in the individual that enables the flesh to overcome the things of this world, as He did.

That is why it is imperative that we have Jesus as our tenant, for only then can we be righteous and without sin, and as seated with Him in the heavenly.

Seated in the heavenly, is another play on words to describe a spiritual happening to us in the flesh, that God is behind us all the way, save we abide in Him.

Let me give you another clear example od play on words: HOS 13:8 I will meet them as a bear that is bereaved of her whelps, and will rend the caul of their heart, and there will I devour them like a lion: the wild beast shall tear them.

The word devour in the story is used in a spiritual explanation of God's consuming the souls of mankind, not in a sense of destroying, but in cleansing, as God's love is an all consuming fire.

Jesus consumed period! What did He consume, how did He devour all that was evil, all that was against mankind as a whole, in order that God's righteousness would prevail over the souls of mankind.

Unless God consumes, devours all sin, mankind has no hope!

That is why Jesus subjected Himself to the will of the Father, for in the body of flesh, God did consume the whole sin of mankind in one solitary body of flesh, such as like the first Adam, the originator of the flesh.

But this time the second type of Adam, having destroyed, devoured, consumed, the works of the flesh in the body of flesh, has by rebirth of the original, enabled the rebirth of a new creature.

2Co 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

God having conquered, destroyed, devoured and consumed all sin in a fleshly body, that of the Christ, has again made a new creation:

Rev 21:5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.

For the skeptic, that sees only with the natural eye, these things are hidden from them, and the lambs of sacrifice are we, who are in the know, have the responsibility to present the works of God as in like Jesus, as our good works.

We present, we live and the judgment is left to God who is the trier of the hearts of man.

TITWOG + That is the will of God.

Blessings,

Wayne121

Jesus Christ NEVER claimed himself as God! Give me only one verse from Gospel where Jesus said "I am God or u all worship me" If you are able to give me only one verse then today i shall convert to christianity!! Challenging you!!

I already did. See my previous post. Here's more on that:

If Jesus never claimed to be God in John chapter 8, then why did the Jews say he did and then picked up stones to stone him?

The Jews therefore said to Him, "You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?" Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am." Therefore they picked up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid Himself, and went out of the temple. (John 8:57-59)

Seems to me the Jews knew exactly what Jesus was claiming, and this is verified again in the following passage by John:

"I and the Father are one." The Jews took up stones again to stone Him. Jesus answered them, "I showed you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you stoning Me?" The Jews answered Him, "For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God." (John 10:30-33)

You need to understand that Jesus didn't like to claim to be God much because it always started a riot. And the stiff-necked crowd wouldn't believe him anyway, even though it was true. That's why you don't see more of that in the scriptures.

As far as the deity of Jesus Christ goes, the Bible is full of such evidences. Here's more:

THE DEITY OF JESUS CHRIST

1. Jesus existed in the beginning (John 1:1; Philip 2:6; Rev. 19:13; Micah 5:2).
2. He was with God (John 1:1).
3. He is God, the Son (John 1:1; Rom. 9:5; Heb. 1:8, 10; I John 5:20).
4. He is God manifest in the flesh (John 20:28; I Tim. 3:16; Col. 2:9; Acts 20:28; Heb. 1:8).
5. He is God foretold (Isaiah 9:6; Psalm 45:6).
6. He is Immanuel, God with us (Isaiah 7:14; Matthew 1:23).
7. He is the true God (I John 5:20 with Titus 2:13; Romans 9:5).
8. He is the great God (Titus 2:13).
9. He is God our Savior (II Peter 1:1).
10. He existed in the form of God before His incarnation and was equal with God the Father (Philippians 2:5-7).
11. He is the only wise God (Jude 25).
12. He is omnipotent over disease. (Matthew 8:1-4; Luke 4:39)
13. He is omnipotent over demons. (Matthew 8:16-17; Luke 4:35)
14. He is omnipotent over nature. ((Matthew 8:26)
15. He is omnipotent over death. (Luke 7:14-15; John 11:25)
16. He is omniscient, knowing the hearts of the Pharisees. (Matthew 12:25;
Luke 5:22; 6:8; 7:39-40)
17. He knew the thoughts of the scribes. (Matthew 9:3-4)
18. He knew the history of the Samaritan woman. (John 4:24)
19. He is omnipresent. (Matthew 18:20; 28:20; John 3:13; 14:20)
20. He was worshiped as God by the angels (Hebrews 1:6); worshiped as
God by the wise men (Matthew 2:2); worshiped as God by the shepherds
(Luke 2:15); worshiped as God by a ruler (Matthew 9:18); worshiped as
God by Thomas (John 20:28); worshiped as God by the apostles (Matthew
14:33; 28:9).
21. He forgives sins. (Mark 2:5)
22. He saves. (Matthew 18:11; John 10:28).
23. He judges. (John 5:22)
24. Paul, Peter, Jude, James, and John called Him God. (Galatians 2:20; 1 Peter
3:22; Jude 25; James 2:1; I John 5:20; Revelation 1:18; 19:16)
25. He is God's Son, who was sent to bring us eternal life. (John 3:16)
26. He arose from death in the flesh (John 20:26-28; Luke 24:39-43; I John 4:2-3).
27. One with the Father (John 10:30).

It's time for your conversion. The evidence is overwhelming. And there's much more.

Last edited:

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Wow, what a lengthy thread based solely on hearsay, there is no direct documentation of anything that Jesus said/wrote down etc. Did someone else say He was the Son of God? Apparently so.

EM

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Most of history is hearsay, Etu. Shall we rip out large sections of our history books because of that?
Indeed we should! Let altruism reign supreme in our historical knowledge and the politically soaked manipulations fall by the wayside.

EM

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
That is correct. Jesus did not use the Yehowah name He used the "I am the one who is" name that Jehovah gave to Moses to identify Himself. He also called Himself the God of Abaham, Isaac and Jacob. So the fact that Jesus used the "I am" name does not make Him less God for not have used the Yehowah name.
No! These are two different names found in two different places in the text. There is no translation for the Yehowah name. The Hebrew for the other name comes out literally "I am who is" but in English we would never use that phrase so the literal translation is not good English, therefore I use "I am the one who is" which is the phrase we would use.
Ah, but does it read HWHY in Hebrew and getrs turned around in Greek?

God's name does Not get turned around in Greek.
The most common accepted English pronunciation is found at Psalm 83 v18
KJV

Jesus was very clear at John [17v26] that he declared God's name.
Jesus said in prayer at John ]17v6] that he manifested God's name.

Muffled

Jesus in me

The point is that there can not be the character of a loving God and at the same time the Character of a murderous God.
It is either one or the other, and in which case, God's Character is totally demonstrated in the natural in Jesus.

If people can not see it that way, is because they have not the spirit of God in them.

Blessings,

Your view is a false image of God. God is loving when He obliterates the cities of Sodom and Gororrah. If someone comes along and says "I have the spirit of God which says God would never wipe out a city because He is a loving god," that spirit can not be from God because it contradicts scripture. I know that I have the spirit of God when I say this and scripture stands as my witness that I speak the truth.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Yaqub-

Thank you for your reply and thank you for mentioning my 'dyslexic' left to right. Yes, right to left. Thanks.

אֶהְיֶה אֲשֶׁר אֶהְיֶה

Translated in NESB as "I am that I am." The letters are "Aleph He Yod He" or as I would translate the letters AHYH.

Full text translated: Ex 3:14 And God said unto Moses: 'I AM THAT I AM'; and He said: 'Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel: I AM hath sent me unto you.'

יְהוָה

This is the Hebrew for the name Jehovah translated in the full text as Lord.
The letters are "Yod He Vav He" YHVH.
Ex 3:2 And the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush; and he looked, and, behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed

אֲדֹנָי

This is the word for lord so it is plain that Lord is not a translation of the name. The Letters are ADN and a mark probably for a gutteral as in Chutzpah.

Last edited:

look3467

Premium Member
Your view is a false image of God. God is loving when He obliterates the cities of Sodom and Gororrah. If someone comes along and says "I have the spirit of God which says God would never wipe out a city because He is a loving god," that spirit can not be from God because it contradicts scripture. I know that I have the spirit of God when I say this and scripture stands as my witness that I speak the truth.

I fully understand your view. But here are somethings to consider.

What is life to God in respect to the flesh? Is not life in the flesh in His hands to control?
Can we add or subtract a minute to our fleshly life, as though we had control?

Life of the soul, is another matter.

The soul is precious to God. Ref: Psa 49:8 (For the redemption of their soul is precious, and it ceaseth for ever:)

Note: "Their" Is Plural, But The Word "Soul" Is Singular. All Mankind In The Body Of Christ. "Ceaseth For Ever" = Jesus Dies Once For All And It Is Finished.

"Their", meaning many, as in all humanity, and "soul" meaning one, that is Jesus, is the salvation of the world by God in Jesus.

Now, as for our works, the words (Merchandise) and Jesus (her hire) shall not be treasured or laid up, but will be for us who choose to dwell with the Lord, to eat sufficiently (eat of the word) and for durable clothing. (the word/Jesus is our our covering)

ISA 23:18 And her merchandise and her hire shall be holiness to the Lord: it shall not be treasured nor laid up; for her merchandise shall be for them that dwell before the Lord, to eat sufficiently, and for durable clothing.

What it all means is this: Life in the flesh is but dust, and may be forfeited, as a privilege, but the soul is precious unto God, for God sent His Son into the world not to condemn the world, but that through Him the world might be saved.

Recall reading what Paul said about the person who was excommunicated?

Ref:1Co 5:5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

We are giving the privilege of life in the flesh to live just and right, and in so doing God blesses us.

But if we don't, then we face the consequences as written:

Gal 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

In the case of Sodom and Gomorrah, privilege lost.

I don't deny your sincerity of belief, for in it is your protection, quote "I say this and scripture stands as my witness that I speak the truth".

There are some who see things differently, not as a child sees things, but as a mature individual.

Ref: 1Pe 2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:

Heb 5:13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.

Therefore, there are levels of faith, degrees of faith that we grow by, towards our spiritual maturity.

When we are able to handle truth in a responsible manner, then their is nothing that can touch us, no matter what we see or hear, for the truth lies in us as our foundation, and that foundation is Christ.

Blessings, AJ

Snowber

I know I am joining this a little late. I am researching this topic myself. I read a book called "Jesus: Mythis and Message" By Lisa Spray.

I think that indeed Jesus brought us a wonderful message, as other messengers did, and the theme was always the same: to worship GOD alone.

I am sure this question has been asked before, but what do Christians (specifically Christians who believe Jesus is part of a trinity) say about this verse:

Have we not all the one Father? Has not the one God created us? Why then do we break faith with each other, violating the covenant of our fathers? [Malachi 2:10]

It seems pretty clear to me that calling GOD your "father" was, as Ms. Spray says, "the idiom of the time".

You can see more examples in the book (please see Chapter 5 specifically) here:

Jesus: Myths and Message

Muffled

Jesus in me
I fully understand your view. But here are somethings to consider.

What is life to God in respect to the flesh? Is not life in the flesh in His hands to control?
Can we add or subtract a minute to our fleshly life, as though we had control?
Life of the soul, is another matter. The soul is precious to God. Ref: Psa 49:8 (For the redemption of their soul is precious, and it ceaseth for ever:)

Now, as for our works, the words (Merchandise) and Jesus (her hire) shall not be treasured or laid up, but will be for us who choose to dwell with the Lord, to eat sufficiently (eat of the word) and for durable clothing. (the word/Jesus is our our covering)

ISA 23:18 And her merchandise and her hire shall be holiness to the Lord: it shall not be treasured nor laid up; for her merchandise shall be for them that dwell before the Lord, to eat sufficiently, and for durable clothing.

What it all means is this: Life in the flesh is but dust, and may be forfeited, as a privilege, but the soul is precious unto God, for God sent His Son into the world not to condemn the world, but that through Him the world might be saved.
Recall reading what Paul said about the person who was excommunicated?
Ref:1Co 5:5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.
We are giving the privilege of life in the flesh to live just and right, and in so doing God blesses us. But if we don't, then we face the consequences as written:
Gal 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. In the case of Sodom and Gomorrah, privilege lost.

I don't deny your sincerity of belief, for in it is your protection, quote "I say this and scripture stands as my witness that I speak the truth".

There are some who see things differently, not as a child sees things, but as a mature individual.

Ref: 1Pe 2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:

Heb 5:13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.

Therefore, there are levels of faith, degrees of faith that we grow by, towards our spiritual maturity.

When we are able to handle truth in a responsible manner, then their is nothing that can touch us, no matter what we see or hear, for the truth lies in us as our foundation, and that foundation is Christ.

Blessings, AJ

I am blessed. I enjoyed reading your post.

First of all, you have not expressed a different view in this post. Second, claiming more maturity is a smoke screen. You still have to prove your point. (I make claims also but I have to prove my points as well)

Muffled

Jesus in me
I know I am joining this a little late. I am researching this topic myself. I read a book called "Jesus: Mythis and Message" By Lisa Spray.

I think that indeed Jesus brought us a wonderful message, as other messengers did, and the theme was always the same: to worship GOD alone.

I am sure this question has been asked before, but what do Christians (specifically Christians who believe Jesus is part of a trinity) say about this verse:

It seems pretty clear to me that calling GOD your "father" was, as Ms. Spray says, "the idiom of the time".

You can see more examples in the book (please see Chapter 5 specifically) here:

Jesus: Myths and Message

There is no doubt that Jesus knew that people referred to God as Father, so for Him to say "I and my Father are one" is equivaent to saying "I and God are one." If a person were to say, he meant his earthly father, there was none, and Jesus at age twelve told His earthly surrogate father that He had to be about His Father's business.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
There is no doubt that Jesus knew that people referred to God as Father, so for Him to say "I and my Father are one" is equivaent to saying "I and God are one." If a person were to say, he meant his earthly father, there was none, and Jesus at age twelve told His earthly surrogate father that He had to be about His Father's business.

At John 14v28 B Jesus says: his Father is greater than I [Jesus].
So by John 17 [vs11,21-23] when Jesus prayed his followers be one just as he and his Father are one. Jesus was not praying they all be God, but praying they all be one as he and his Father are one in purpose, work, union, agreement, will, belief, faith, objective, etc.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

The theme of the Bible is the same theme of Jesus preaching and teaching work which is: the Good News [Gospel] of God's kingdom.
True, worship God alone as Jesus told the woman at the well.-John 4vs23,24
But Jesus taught the people about God's kingdom, or royal government, and instructed his followers do the same to the point as Matthew 24v14 says the good news of God's kingdom would be proclaimed world wide or on a global scale before the end of all badness on earth comes.
[Daniel 7vs13,14; 2v44]

An idiom expression of that time peculiar to the Jewish language would be such as Matthew 26v64. The God of the Bible is our Father because the word 'father' means: life giver. As Creator, God gave us life, so God is not only our Creator but our heavenly Father as well.

look3467

Premium Member
"I have the spirit of God which says God would never wipe out a city because He is a loving god," that spirit can not be from God because it contradicts scripture.>>>Muffled

You.... you have the spirit of God which says....or that is what you believe it says?

I believe that the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah may have been a real event that happened, but not to the discredit of God's love.

God uses events and or stories to illustrate spiritual truths.

One such story is Jonah and the whale. That may or may not have been an actual event, but the illustration of a similitude of a spiritual truth is there in Jesus.

Analyzing both stories for their spiritual content rather than for their natural content we see a different picture.

Case one: The destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah:
1. Jesus is all things that are cursed: DEU 29:20 The Lord will not spare him, but then the anger of the Lord and his jealousy shall smoke against that man, and all the curses that are written in this book shall lie upon him, and the Lord shall blot out his name from under heaven.

Jesus is the door: JOB 12:25 They grope in the dark without light, and he maketh them to stagger like a drunken man.

The Day Of The Cross Is Darkness. =

Gen 19:11 And they smote the men that were at the door of the house with blindness, both small and great: so that they wearied themselves to find the door.

Ref: JOH 1:5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

They Do Not Have Jesus At This Point. = Jesus being the tail (meaning, Jesus being surrendered to the Jewish High priests)is becoming instead the head. (meaning, Jesus at the cross becomes their King)

This Is Also Seen In Similitude For Sodom. Jesus Is The Door, The Jewish Nation Are Blinded, And Can Not Find The Door.

Note: If Jesus is to reach out to the rest of the world, His own must not see Him as such, therefore must be blinded from seeing the door.

The Jewish Nation Worship God As They Did, Under The Law. They Are Likened To Lot's Wife That Looked Back. Salt Was A Sacrifice. The Jewish Nation Is Sacrificed As A Witness To The Old Testament That It Is Not Changed To Fit Jesus.

Case two: Jonah and the whale.
JER 29:12 Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you.
Divide This Verse Into Three Actions,
One Following The Other,
Not At Once,

• Jesus Calls On God From The Cross. "My God, My God, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me?"
  • And Shall Go (Into Hell) And Pray Unto Me (From Hell, This Is Seen In Similitude As Jonah Praying From Out Of The Belly Of The Whale.)
  • "And I Will Hearken Unto You" Is After Jesus Prays Unto God From Out Of Hell.

JON 1:17 Now the Lord had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. ""And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.""

JON 2:1 ""Then"" Jonah prayed unto the Lord his God out of the fish's belly,
MAT 12:40 ""For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.""

MAT 12:40 ""For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly;"" so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

"As" Is A Similitude In Jonah For Three Days And Three Nights Being The Day Of The Cross Seen As Three Pictures.
Not Three Physical Days And Three Physical Nights.
When In The Fish's Belly, Weeds Are Wrapped Around Jonah's Head.
This Is The Crown Of Thorns Placed On Jesus.
Jonah Is A Similitude, Three Days Are The Same Day Seen As Three Pictures,
All The Visions, Dreams, And Miracles Are The Day Of The Cross Seen In Similitude’s.

HOS 12:10 I have also spoken by the prophets, and ""I have multiplied visions, and used similitude’s,"" by the ministry of the prophets.

All this said to give you a different view of the same things.

Blessings, AJ

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
At John 14v28 B Jesus says: his Father is greater than I [Jesus].
So by John 17 [vs11,21-23] when Jesus prayed his followers be one just as he and his Father are one. Jesus was not praying they all be God, but praying they all be one as he and his Father are one in purpose, work, union, agreement, will, belief, faith, objective, etc.

Biblically speaking this is correct. The biblical Yeshua didn't see himself as "God" nor was it something he taught. His own cousin, John the baptist, was not under the impression the man he was baptizing was actually "God" in the flesh. He says out right that he (Yeshua) was sent by God to speak the word of God (be "God's" ambassador)...because "God" put his spirit upon Yeshua without measure.

Everything else in the thread as to the biblical Yeshua's supposed deity is just over exaggerated intepretations. Taking a quote here or there does not make the man into a god. Taking the text into contextual consideration clarifies he had a god and professed it explicitly and did worship, cry and plead for his life to that god.