• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Jesus Christ actually die?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
So, people say that Jesus Christ rose from the dead...

But if he rose from being supposedly "dead", was he ever really dead?

Surely by definition death is final?

I think whatever condition he was in was not death

I think he returned from a state that was medically similar to death

And that if It was truly death then he wouldn't have got up again!

Of course He died just like anyone dies. But they didn’t kill His Cause, which rose up and spread throughout the world. They killed His Body but not His Spirit which lives on in the hearts of people.

Colt

Yes, the mortal tabernacle of Jesus of Nazareth died and did not return. The person of the Son of God did return on his own volition in the form we shall all have upon the resurrection in heaven.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I am glad I know that magic and miracles exist
"awe and wonder" is what makes life "alive"

Mark 9:23 And Jesus said to him, “‘If you can’! All things are possible for one who believes.”

I believe the believing part is the difficulty. Belief is the basis for faith and faith is a gift.

Skywalker

Yes, the mortal tabernacle of Jesus of Nazareth died and did not return. The person of the Son of God did return on his own volition in the form we shall all have upon the resurrection in heaven.

Why do you think Jesus walked the earth in his heavenly form?

greenvalley

It's My Birthday!

greenvalley

It's My Birthday!

greenvalley

It's My Birthday!

the question is not

Jesus Christ Actually died, the question is: Why did Jesus suffer and died?

the answer to that question: Jesus Christ actually died. you may want to know the reason why Jesus Christ suffered and died.

HaEmeth

Truth sets free

On the contrary, death is not final unless it is the second death - “The lake of fire” into which death, Hades, the symbolic “wild beast” and “the false prophet,” Satan, his demons, and the persistent practicers of wickedness on earth are cast. (Revelation 20:10, 14, 15; 21:8; Matthew 25:41) It is evident from the cited texts that there is no release possible from “the second death.”

Those in “the second death” corresponds much to the outcome warned of in such text as, for example, Matthew 12:32::

"... whoever speaks against the holy spirit, it will not be forgiven him, no, not in this system of things nor in that to come."

To demonstrate the fallacy of your contention, I quote Revelation 21:8:

Re 21:8 "But as for the cowards and those without faith and those who are disgusting in their filth and murderers and the sexually immoral and those practicing spiritism and idolaters and all the liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur. This means the second death.”

To which of the categories above would you classify Jesus as a person, of whom the Apostle Peter said: "He committed no sin, nor was deception found in his mouth." - 1 Peter 2:21

Initially death resulted from and was passed on to mankind as a result of Adam’s transgression - the so-called inherited death.

But even inherited death is not final. Some of those who died this so-called Adamic death, like Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, are all still living from God's standpoint:

Luke 20:37, 38 But that the dead are raised up, even Moses made known in the account about the thornbush, when he calls Jehovah ‘the God of Abraham and God of Isaac and God of Jacob.’ He is a God, not of the dead, but of the living, for they are all living to him

Another case in point: When Jesus was informed of his friend Lazarus death, note what he said:

John 11:11-14 After he said these things, he added: “Lazʹa·rus our friend has fallen asleep, but I am traveling there to awaken him.” The disciples then said to him: “Lord, if he is sleeping, he will get well.” Jesus, however, had spoken about his death. But they imagined he was speaking about taking rest in sleep. Then Jesus said to them plainly: " Lazarus has died "

Afterwards, Jesus resurrected Lazarus.

As noted above, Jesus died without sin, so it is not Adamic death but rather a redemptive death - a death to ransom mankind from Adamic death. By suffering death, Jesus ‘tasted death for every man’ and provided “a corresponding ransom for all.” (Hebrews 2:9; 1 Timothy 2:6)

1 Peter 2:24 "He himself bore our sins in his own body on the stake, so that we might die to sins and live to righteousness."

Adam sold mankind to sin and death for his disobedience. Jesus redeemed mankind by dying in perfect obedience. He did not deserve to die. We do. Nevertheless, he tasted death for each one of us.

Isaiah 53:5 But he was being pierced for our transgression; he was being crushed for our errors. The chastisement meant for our peace was upon him, and because of his wound there has been a healing for us

Peace to all!

HaEmeth

Truth sets free

Jesus' resurrection is a cornerstone of the Christian faith. Without it whole Christianity crumbles. No one who rejects it for what it really is - a rising from the dead, not from a pretend death - can rightly call himself a Christian. The apostle Paul at 1 Corinthians 15:14, 15 (KJV) puts it bluntly:

"And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain. Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ."

Resurrection is a miracle that can only be attributed, directly or indirectly, to God. Being supernatural in nature, science can not prove or disprove it inasmuch as science's domain is the natural world. As Professor of Nuclear Science and Engineering of MIT, Ian Hutchinson puts it: "Science offers natural explanations of natural events. It has no power or need to assert that only natural events happen." - Can a scientist believe in the resurrection? Three hypotheses. - The Veritas Forum

If Jesus were only pretending to be dead then he would have pulled off the greatest, cruelest hoax perpetrated in human history for all his Apostles - eyewitnesses of his resurrection (1 Cor 15:3-8) - and countless others, willingly submitted to martyrdom in defense of their faith in a genuine resurrection. I doubt if any will be willing to die for a pretend event especially if he were contemporary to the said event. The only sensible conclusion is that it was a genuine resurrection.

Professor Hutchinson, makes this argument more compelling when he said in his talk "Can a Scientist Believe in the Resurrection? Three Hypotheses" (Can a scientist believe in the resurrection? Three hypotheses. - The Veritas Forum):
"... the first disciples attested to a physical resurrection. How could an untruth logically support high moral character? How could it have sustained the apostles through the extremes of persecution they experienced founding Christianity?

"Contrary to increasingly popular opinion, science is not our only means for accessing truth. In the case of Jesus’ resurrection, we must consider the historical evidence, and the historical evidence for the resurrection is as good as for almost any event of ancient history. The extraordinary character of the event, and its significance, provide a unique context, and ancient history is necessarily hard to establish. But a bare presumption that science has shown the resurrection to be impossible is an intellectual cop-out. Science shows no such thing."

He is backed up by Matt J. Rossano, Professor of Pyschology at Southeastern Louisiana Univesity in his article "Does Resurrection Contradict Science" who said (Does Resurrection Contradict Science? | HuffPost):

"Now, what convinces the believer that Resurrection merits such authority when other imaginative possibilities such as extraterrestrial life or time-travel do not? The answer here appears to be historical commitment. There’s no record of people committing themselves to the point of martyrdom to other imaginative possibilities as they have to Resurrection. The earliest example of such commitment being found, of course, in the dramatic post-crucifixion turn-around of the Apostles. Such an astounding change of heart, followed by an unwavering commitment capable of altering human history demands a categorically unique explanation: Resurrection."

Skywalker

I believe they use imagination to explain a verse in the Qu'ran. I can vouch by what the Holy Spirit has told me that they are wrong about it.

I don't believe the swoon theory because it has no historical proof that supports it. The beliefs about Jesus in the Quran are eisegesis. Not My Jesus Part 2: A Defense Of Orthodox Christology | Reasons for Jesus

Jesus died
One of the key salvific issues in Jesus’ humanity is that if He was entirely God without any humanity then He could not die, and the Gospel falls apart for lack of a real sacrificial atonement. Sin is big enough and bad enough to merit a complete sacrifice, as “the wages of sin is death” (Rom. 6;;23).

All four Gospels include the Passion narrative detailing the death and resurrection of Jesus; “He breathed his last” (Mark 14:39; Luke 23:46), He “yielded up his spirit” (Matt 27:50), and He “gave up his spirit” (John 19:30). Some have flirted with the idea of a “swoon theory”–where Jesus never really died; and Muslims believe Jesus somehow was replaced accidentally or supernaturally by someone else like Simon of Cyrene.[3]

But these are eisegesis, reading unwarranted things into the text. And neither of these views–the Replacement Theory or the Swoon Theory–challenge the humanity of Jesus. Both align just fine with Jesus’ humanity. The normal and plain reading of Scripture, and the agreed testimony across Creedal history, is that Jesus physically and literally died on the cross.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Eddi "If It was truly death then he wouldn't have got up again!"

I agree with one here, please.
Regards