• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did God Create This ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

FFH

Veteran Member
NS_EC_E115333-Aurora_borealis-SPL.jpg

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
I'll be honest, this is not one of the most beautiful things I've seen. I can think of much better examples of the beauty of creation than a product of the fashion industry.
Go outside and look at a tree, or the sky, or anything else that doesn't need a bucket of airbrushing and an hour in makeup.
To put up a picture of a fashion model as proof of God because she's so 'perfect'...this is what screws people up. This says,'That little girl with the cleft palate, that overweight child who gets picked on, that teenage girl who can't make herself look how she wants to, they can be brushed aside as flawed and unworthy of proving the argument, but you can't deny the creative power of god when you look at this woman.' This tells those people that they are no proof of God because they're not perfect.
It may not be your intention, but what you're saying here goes beyond the commercial enforcement of a standard of beauty for the sake of money and into the realms of telling people that unless they're perfect, the mere fact that they are the supposed pinnacle of creation is no proof of the glory of God.
It's potentially one of the more disturbing things I've read here in a while.
Personally, I'm not even what you'd consider an atheist, and I don't see anything in either of those girls that isn't the result of a pleasant accident of genetics coupled with several hours work by a variety of professionals.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
FFH said:
Saying that there is beauty in a thorn is like saying there is goodness in sin, gladness in sorrow, pleasure in pain.
Firstly, from my POV, there is no sin, no good and no bad. But having said that, there is "goodness" in what you call sin. It is all a part of a big statement of Who You Are. And if you don't like that, you can change Who You Are to Who You Want To Be. An act of "sin" is a statement about Who You Are. Some people choose something else, that they do not want to be a "sinner" and so, now know, that Who They Want To Become, is not what they WERE (i.e. "sinner"). "Sin" can therefore, be good. Just like one can only know oneself as a man of peace, if one knows oneself to NOT be a man of war.

Take gladness in sorrow, by recognising that it, again, is a part of Who You Are. Sorrow is a demonstration of your relationship to something else. See it as that, and you will take gladness in it.

The same with a pleasure in pain. See it simply as being a part of Who You Are, compared with Who You Want To Become and as you in relationship to another thing, and you will be pleased for pain.

Thorns and weeds were not created for their beuty, but to afflict and torment man.

I'm sorry, but this is rubbish. A weed is simply a weed because it grows in the wrong place. A rose is a weed - if it grows in a cornfield. And I see beauty in thorns. The complexities of life are beautiful, and thorns are a part of that! A rose would not be the same without the thorns!

I'm sure Christ wasn't thinking to himself, wow these thorns in my head sure are beautiful.
And I'm sure you know that. And besides, I think the thought of impending death may have hindered his contemplating the thorns ;)

If thorns were so beautiful, they would be a part of heaven/paradise, but they aren't, they're a result of the transgressions of Adam and Eve, one of the conditions which came about because of the fall.

I live in paradise. There are roses here. The thorned variety. Paradise is simply a matter of how you look at it.

FFH

Veteran Member
Go outside and look at a tree, or the sky, or anything else that doesn't need a bucket of airbrushing and an hour in makeup.
To put up a picture of a fashion model as proof of God because she's so 'perfect'...this is what screws people up. This says,'That little girl with the cleft palate, that overweight child who gets picked on, that teenage girl who can't make herself look how she wants to, they can be brushed aside as flawed and unworthy of proving the argument, but you can't deny the creative power of god when you look at this woman.' This tells those people that they are no proof of God because they're not perfect.
It may not be your intention, but what you're saying here goes beyond the commercial enforcement of a standard of beauty for the sake of money and into the realms of telling people that unless they're perfect, the mere fact that they are the supposed pinnacle of creation is no proof of the glory of God.
It's potentially one of the more disturbing things I've read here in a while.
Personally, I'm not even what you'd consider an atheist, and I don't see anything in either of those girls that isn't the result of a pleasant accident of genetics coupled with several hours work by a variety of professionals.
So how about the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis), are they a fluke as well ???

See the last few pages of this thread for examples.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
BTW:

Pain is good - it lets you know you're still alive.
Pain is bad - it lets you know you're still alive.

Just think about that and you'll see what I mean - simply a matter of perception.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
So how about the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis), are they a fluke as well ???

They're a scientifically explainable phenomenon which doesn't require the intervention of a supreme being; though I suppose if you think god tosses around charged particles in his spare time then you could make him directly responsible.
Regardless, this example is a lot more worthy of being called beautiful than where you started this thread. At least it's not going to make the 'less perfect' feel inferior in the eyes of god.

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
Saying that there is beauty in a thorn is like saying there is goodness in sin, gladness in sorrow, pleasure in pain.

Thorns and weeds were not created for their beuty, but to afflict and torment man.

I'm sure Christ wasn't thinking to himself, wow these thorns in my head sure are beautiful.

If thorns were so beautiful, they would be a part of heaven/paradise, but they aren't, they're a result of the transgressions of Adam and Eve, one of the conditions which came about because of the fall.

Ok, here you seem to be saying that because you personally don't like something then it is inharently bad. And if you like something it is inharently good. Things just are the way they are, regardless of how you feel about them.

Thorns are for protecting the rose plant. That is all. We may think they are terrible, or we may think they are beautiful, but they are not actually either of those things. They have a function that they serve.

Bishka

Veteran Member

Are you not going to address her point of the ugly and disabled people?

FFH

Veteran Member
I personally feel there is still beauty in "ugly" people.
Isaiah 53: 2
For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he (Christ) hath no form nor comeliness (good looks); and when we shall see him (Referring to Christ's earthly ministry), there is no beauty that we should desire him (Christ).

I also feel that a "disabled" person isn't necessarily limited. Keen to see what you think, FFH!
Mark 9: 43, 45
43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

• • •
45 And if thy foot offend thee,cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

Matt. 5: 30
30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members (part of the body) should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

Matt. 18: 8
8 Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee:it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Hey FFH, why don't you answer in your own words instead of quoting the Bible. I've basically asked the same thing has the rest about "ugly" people and would like on answer. But Bible quote aren't going to cut it. What do you think in your own words. I'm sure you can say something for yourself with out the Bible.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
I personally feel there is still beauty in "ugly" people. I also feel that a "disabled" person isn't necessarily limited. Keen to see what you think, FFH!
Apparently he thinks an awful lot about the possibility that people may have offensive hands and feet.
Also that Christ was - as my dear Nan would have said - as ugly as a hatful of monkeys bums, presumably so he could concentrate on starting a religion rather than be distracted by the local girls wanting to shag him.
If he could hold up his end of a conversation, make me laugh and had his own teeth, he may still have been in with a chance.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.