• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

devil worshipping a sign of mental illness?

Well, "Devil Worshipping" is an extremely nebulous term, so i'm guessing you mean satanism?

The most widely practiced form of Satanism is LaVey's atheistic belief system, detailed in The Satanic Bible; the official establishment thereof is The Church of Satan, which (via Wiki):

is a religious group that is unrelated to any other faith, and whose members feel free to satisfy their urges responsibly, exhibit kindness to their friends, and attack their enemies

Although a tad violent, I actually agree with alot of LaVey's ideas, moreso than I do with the Abrahamic religions.

Last edited:

linwood

because I feel the devil is nothing but imagination

Why is imagination a negative thing?
I`m missing something here.

that is only your interpretation of ancient mans imagination in my opinion

Certainly, but my interpretation can be supported with contextual evidence.
Have you read the Bible?

Satan behaved honorably in most cases.
Much more honorably than Yahweh ever did.

outhouse

Atheistically
Why is imagination a negative thing?
I`m missing something here.

what part of atheist dont you understand :) I dont buy any of it R or L

does this mean im a strong atheist because I dont buy any religion and think all gods arer created by man????

Certainly, but my interpretation can be supported with contextual evidence.
Have you read the Bible?

i have read enough to know that the devil was created by man in my opinion.

i would love to see your contextual evidence lol

Satan behaved honorably in most cases.

that your opinion only

Much more honorably than Yahweh ever did.

we agree :) we agree :)

yep never seen the devil comitting mass murder or genocide because he woke up on the wrong side of the bed lol

My personal opinion is that for god figures their imagination went hog wild

The devil which took 1500 ish years to evolve into the description we have today, just took the stereotypical bad rap for all the bad things that happened in which man knew nothing about. I dont their imaginations ran so deep with the satan figure.

The Neo Nerd

I see anyone worshipping the devil or satan and I wonder how much medical help does said person really need, whole point of the thread really

I'm not sure if you are aware of this but MOST satanists don't believe in the xtian god or devil.

outhouse

Atheistically
I'm not sure if you are aware of this but MOST satanists don't believe in the xtian god or devil.

thanks bud.

I do understand they sort of place theirselves as a sort of god type figure and dont follow a deity R or L

My main gripe is with the people that do what I said in the first post "worship the devil" it is a offshoot of the LHP

so far in 7 pages not one person has posted a positive aspect of devil worshipping

blackout

Violet.
Devil/s
images
images

Worship
images
images

blackout

Violet.
thanks bud.

I do understand they sort of place theirselves as a sort of god type figure and dont follow a deity R or L

My main gripe is with the people that do what I said in the first post "worship the devil" it is a offshoot of the LHP

so far in 7 pages not one person has posted a positive aspect of devil worshipping

If you are talking about "exhaulting ideas of pain, suffering, forced control of the innocent at the hands of psycopathic tyranny/tyrants"
then you ARE TALKING ABOUT MENTAL ILLNESS.
(rather reminds me of war)

Why not just cut to the chase then,
and skip all the devil worshiping mumbo jumbo.
Psycopaths come in all different... costumes....

outhouse

Atheistically
do all LHP people worship the devil?? or his written ways??? no

so can I guess your answer is no ?

not the positive aspects i was hoping for

LOL my daughter just asked me "daddy is that tinkerbell??? when she looked at your avatar :)

blackout

Violet.
do all LHP people worship the devil?? or his written ways??? no

so can I guess your answer is no ?

not the positive aspects i was hoping for

Ok. look. WHO/What is "the devil"?

Satan? Any adversarial or challanging icon in your life?
Pan? Any icon of paganny frolic, mischief and natural sexual freedom?
Your own inner demons? Your own inner, forbidden (for whatever reason) temptations?

WHO/What ARE these "devils"?

Then there is worship.

For me, etymologically speaking :rolleyes:
Wer'Shape.

Shaping your Own Self to a thing/icon of WORTH.

We all shape ourSelves to things.
Consciously, or not.

The question is.... what do you uphold, as things of worth.

Yes, I do see how you could shape yourSelf to Pan,
and "aspect positively".

That would be just one example.

Erebus

thanks bud.

Are you talking about worshipping the Devil specifically as "a god of evil", a practice usually done by mentally ill people. Or are you talking about Devil Worship as it's usually done?
Over the course of the thread you haven't displayed any real understanding of the LHP or Devil worship. That's not meant as a criticism, since it's the position of most people, but it is definitely worth you doing a little research on the topic if you want to understand it. If you don't want to understand of course, I would seriously question the motivation of this thread.

I'll give you a run down of a few "types" of Devil worship (but it won't be a complete list by any means and won't be true of all Devil worshippers) before I go into more detail on the subject as a whole:

Polytheistic: Includes The Church of Azazel and Demonolatry. Satan or a similar adversarial figure is usually present in the pantheon, but not always as the main focus. Worship is typically of ancient Pagan deities of a "dark" nature who have been referred to as devils by Christianity. It may also include worship of traditional demon figures.

Monotheistic/henotheistic: Satan (or similar archetype) is held to be either the only god or is otherwise the only god worshipped. Generally, biblical accounts of Satan are ignored or considered unreliable, but may on occasion be used as inspiration.

Theistic Luciferianism: Generally henotheistic. Lucifer as opposed to Satan is used as an archetype. Often Luciferians will not make use of dark imagery as much as Satanists and may place greater emphasis on intellectual development, but otherwise the beliefs and practices are often similar.

Christian Satanism: Worship of the Christian Satan as an "anti-god" or "evil god". Generally practiced by disillusioned teenagers and ex Christians and the occasional schizophrenic. Sometimes referred to as "Slaytanists" by other Devil worshippers due to the fact their spirituality is often taken from heavy metal lyrics and little else. Occasionally Satanists of this category will take part in crime, such as damaging churches or on rare occasions, committing murder.

When most people think of Devil worship, they imagine the last category. Indeed, the last category is the one that is usually portrayed by the media, despite being the smallest group and being generally disliked by other devil worshippers.
It's difficult to reduce the entirety of devil worship down to a few statements, but the following ideals are generally accepted by devil worshippers:
It's important to develop as an individual. Learn who you are and act in accordance with that.
Christian concepts of sin are outdated. "Sin" is fine as long as it's used responsibly.
Worship should not involve grovelling or begging. Instead the devil/s should be thought of as teachers and friends.
Responsibility for oneself is of great importance. It is not acceptable to be prevented from expressing ourselves (so long as nobody is harmed) nor is it acceptable to pin our own mistakes on a scapegoat.

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
devil worshipping a sign of mental illness?
No. its a sign of being humiliated by Christian parents through your younger life.
and for some obscure reason succumbing to the belief that a business man from the Hebrew scriptures is coming for your rescue.

The Islamic Qur'an has prepared a wonderful passage for that:

I will come to them from before them, and from behind them, and from their right, and from their left, and You will find most of them un-appreciative.

Satan to the Lord, in the Qur'an.

The Hebrew scriptures and the Islamic scriptures describe very vivid conversations between the Lord of the Jews and the Lord of the Muslims and Satan.
These discussions rarely involve young Americans.

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
LHP can have positive outcomes. I quite like LHP. :)

There are some "Devil Worshippers" who do it to rebel against their parents and/or society in general. However, let's discount them, because they're usually teenagers and/or people going into it for the shock value as opposed to people trying to practise LHP principles.

But Satanism and other LHP groups' sincere practitioners? Satan is the symbol of both knowledge (eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil in the Garden of Eden) and freedom from oppression (disobeying God's orders, whom to many is seen as a celestial dictator). He is not a person of evil.

I have read the Satanic Bible. Although I don't believe in it, and I find it a wee bit silly, it's not evil or anything.

You will, however, not find Satanists running around killing men, women or children and sacrificing people to Satan. You will find some who do cruel things, but the orthodox LHP communities all reject cruelty from my experience with them.

Jacksnyte

Reverend
Let me just say that Satan does play a very major role in my practice, but I am definitely not an inverted Christian, or an angsty teen. I am a fan of freedom. Plain and simple. I am one of those LHP folks who tends to dislike the "Slaytanists" (love that term), and the general stupidity that accompanies their form of "worship". It sounds to me like you are thinking of these teenage metalhead reverse Christian types, is this correct?

Duck

I see anyone worshipping the devil or satan and I wonder how much medical help does said person really need, whole point of the thread really

If one looks at the character of Satan in biblical accounts, he was the only divine being behaving honestly.

Now if one goes in for the drinking blood; eating babies; ill thoughts, ill words, ill deeds; sacrificing virgins; listening to Elvis (and his gyrating hips!); secretly a communist; McCarthyism scare tactic propaganda put out for centuries by the RCC and more recently by the SBC; then yes, I would say someone participating in rituals involving drinking the blood of a newborn male child under a moonless sky while attempting summon Abbadon would probably need some mental health evaluation. Someone following what I know of LaVeyan Satanism (the only LHP sect I am vaguely familiar with, sorry) can at best be described as self-centered which is a far cry from needing institutionalization.

Let me just say that Satan does play a very major role in my practice, but I am definitely not an inverted Christian, or an angsty teen. I am a fan of freedom. Plain and simple. I am one of those LHP folks who tends to dislike the "Slaytanists" (love that term), and the general stupidity that accompanies their form of "worship". It sounds to me like you are thinking of these teenage metalhead reverse Christian types, is this correct?

Are you a theistic Satanist, or an atheistic one (think Church of Satan/ LaVey)?

Interesting. So you're some sort of polytheist then? Or would you say that all Gods are just smaller parts of the larger whole, similar to the Trinity in the Catholic faith?

Just curious. I've actually never heard of "Demonolators".