• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DeSantis Trying to Force Chaplains in Schools

☆Dreamwind☆

This man is making very bizarre and stupid decisions. I know that's his norm but wow. Religion doesn't belong in schools. :/

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Pogo

So that's not what the actual text of the bill says.

Go read it. Nowhere in that document is there any prohibition of any religion.

I'm not saying that this won't absolutely be abused to express favoritism towards certain religions over others. Of course it will. But that isn't in the actual text of the bill.
Go read the OP, that is not what the OP says.
From the linked article.
Here’s what happened: As they have done with other cases involving religion and public schools, the Satanic Temple said it would gladly send chaplains into Florida’s public schools as soon as the new law took effect. These Satanists are not actual Satan-worshippers, even though they have legal status as a church, but rather a secularist group, hoping, in their words, “to provide a safe and inclusive alternative to the religious clubs that use threats of eternal damnation to convert school children to their belief system.”

DeSantis took the bait. He announced that no Satanists would ever participate in the chaplain program. Why not? Because Satanism, DeSantis intoned, “is not a religion.” And with that statement, DeSantis had the Founding Fathers rolling in their graves. DeSantis’s declaration was exactly the kind of thing they took pains to forbid.

It is DeSantis making the decision as to what can be a religion.

☆Dreamwind☆

So that's not what the actual text of the bill says.

Go read it. Nowhere in that document is there any prohibition of any religion.

I'm not saying that this won't absolutely be abused to express favoritism towards certain religions over others. Of course it will. But that isn't in the actual text of the bill.
In fairness, i agree with you that i should have worded the title way better. But he did say Satanists weren't allowed and he could decide what was and wasn't a real religion in the articles. Either way, him trying to force chaplains into schools is a gross violation of separation of church and state.

Here

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
In fairness, i agree with you that i should have worded the title way better. But he did say Satanists weren't allowed and he could decide what was and wasn't a real religion in the articles. Either way, him trying to force chaplains into schools is a gross violation of separation of church and state.
Does the governor actually have the authority - per the law as written - to do this, though? Wouldn't the selection of the chaplains all be done by individual school districts?

In short, I suspect this is really just a bunch of political posturing on his part and his office doesn't actually have the authority. But I dunno.

☆Dreamwind☆

Does the governor actually have the authority - per the law as written - to do this, though? Wouldn't the selection of the chaplains all be done by individual school districts?

In short, I suspect this is really just a bunch of political posturing on his part and his office doesn't actually have the authority. But I dunno.
I honestly don't know.

Pogo

Of all the drawbacks of living in FL,
this one would bother me the least.

DeSantis uses a lot of bullying to get things done that accommodate his agenda, he has gotten away with it so far, but the tide is turning especially since he dropped out of the Pres. race.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Anything that is not part of the necessary curriculum that provides the tools necessary for a student to make a living.
Not a fan of poetry class I take it.

In the realm where job prospects don't gleam,
A poetry class may seem a dream
Yet in words that we weave
New perspectives conceive,
Enriching life's journey, supreme!

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Anything that is not part of the necessary curriculum that provides the tools necessary for a student to make a living.
Are we talking about trade schooling, or higher education?

So students and universities should take no interest in the social, political or environmental issues of the day? Attempts at change or improvement should be suppressed?

We Never Know

No Slack