• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Democrats in Trouble 2020?

Stanyon

WWMRD?
It seemed obvious from the start, a lot of candidates all promising to defeat Trump to rounds of applause but no real clear vision of the future or even how to implement it. Face it, you are just a demographic to them divided by class and race rather than a united America and will play to every stereotype to attempt to con you for your vote since they don't have much else.

The key demographics of the Democratic Party are fragmenting - CNNPolitics

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
tenor (1).gif

Laika

Premium Member
It seemed obvious from the start, a lot of candidates all promising to defeat Trump to rounds of applause but no real clear vision of the future or even how to implement it. Face it, you are just a demographic to them divided by class and race rather than a united America and will play to every stereotype to attempt to con you for your vote since they don't have much else.

I can't disagree. My biggest concern is that on polling day Trump voters will turn out for their candidates, but Democrats will drag their feet, whoever the candidate is. The Democrats can't match the cult following of Trump supporters and given the level of resistance Republicans are offering, the Democratic Party is in trouble as the constitutional system wasn't designed to cope with this much polarisation. It's more than possible Trump will get re-elected in 2020 unless "something" changes very soon.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I can't disagree. My biggest concern is that on polling day Trump voters will turn out for their candidates, but Democrats will drag their feet, whoever the candidate is. The Democrats can't match the cult following of Trump supporters and given the level of resistance Republicans are offering, the Democratic Party is in trouble as the constitutional system wasn't designed to cope with this much polarisation. It's more than possible Trump will get re-elected in 2020 unless "something" changes very soon.

No offense, but one the biggest mistakes the Democrats are making is believing (or trying to make their followers believe) is that Trump supports are nothing more than a "cult". The change you're seeing in Washington has been coming for some time. Trump just happens to exemplify the "anti-politician" we've been looking for. Is he perfect? No. Is he the most likable of person? Who is? Can he walk on water? Well, there have been rumors... But he is doing, or trying to do what he promised during the campaign.

Laika

Premium Member
We need viable 3rd parties.

The last time a Third Party won the Presidency it was Abraham Lincoln and his win caused the American civil war. So it's not impossible, but you are talking about a very different political climate when the country couldn't have been more divided over one issue; Slavery.

Laika

Premium Member
No offense, but one the biggest mistakes the Democrats are making is believing (or trying to make their followers believe) is that Trump supports are nothing more than a "cult". The change you're seeing in Washington has been coming for some time. Trump just happens to exemplify the "anti-politician" we've been looking for. Is he perfect? No. Is he the most likable of person? Who is? Can he walk on water? Well, there have been rumors... But he is doing, or trying to do what he promised during the campaign.

None taken. :) Trump doesn't exist as an isolated individual in the course of history. His nomination and election are part of much larger processes that even his impeachment and/or an election loss wouldn't solve entirely. The Republicans in Congress would be there to stay and would resist a Democratic President as they did under Obama.

So I agree that the fact Democrats haven't taken a step back and recognised this is the culmination of a road we've been on for many years, perhaps decades, is one reason they lack the vision, imagination and leadership to inspire the rank and file members of their own party and the country. Trump is a symptom of something much bigger going on in the Republican Party and in American politics.

Even if you accept Russian interference played some role in his election in 2016 and even pushed him over the line in a few states, that doesn't explain how 62.9 million people voted for someone who the media and polls dismissed as an un-electable road crash. He still won and the same forces that propelled him to the White House in 2016 could do it again in 2020, whatever your assessment of the man or his administration.

epronovost

In my opinion, Trump will win again in 2020 mostly because he can count on a large group of motivated and incredibly stupid, cynical and/or rabbid authoritarian followers. Jingoism always was one of the great vices of the American public. I think it's one of the large cause of Trump's success and resilience. "This is America, **** everybody else!" is, sorrowfully, all you need to gain the support of a solid chunk of the electorate.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

A viable vision could arise after the primaries.

epronovost

A viable vision could arise after the primaries.

From what I have read and seen, the leading candidates have pretty solid visions for the US (they lack detail and planning in my opinion), but all of them have presented major projects they intend to sell to the US public mostly in the shape of big healthcare reforms and environmental policies.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
From what I have read and seen, the leading candidates have pretty solid visions for the US (they lack detail and planning in my opinion), but all of them have presented major projects they intend to sell to the US public mostly in the shape of big healthcare reforms and environmental policies.
Anyone who trusts the commentariat's opinions at this stage needs the snake oil I'm selling. And that applies to left as well as right. Commentators have a vested interest in stirring up fear and worse.

epronovost

Anyone who trusts the commentariat's opinions at this stage needs the snake oil I'm selling. And that applies to left as well as right. Commentators have a vested interest in stirring up fear and worse.

I'm not talking about what's being reported by the media, I'm talking about what they said and what their own programs and promises (which are all available from their official campaign website). If you want to delve further into what vision a party has for the country, you can always refer yourself to the Party's Platform which is released every 4 years and basically detail what each party intends to campaign on and their overall vision of the country. The Party Platform of the democrats in 2020 is going to be very similar to that of 2016 and you can still consult it. The only reason why people say that they one of the two major political party in the US doesn't have a clear vision for the future of the country is because the media don't talk much about global vision and because people are too lazy to make a quick reading of those documents which are about 30-50 pages long.

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Torrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrtrr4ttyykyhhhhrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrtrr4ttyykyhhhhbht tu tltthyyyyyyyyyylwuywyrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrtrr4ttyykyhhhhbhhyyñtyyktyyyyyylwuywyyYtyubhhyyyyyyyyyylwuyttt

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Uhhh...let me know if you ever have a BOGO on that stuff....

BSM1

What? Me worry?
In my opinion, Trump will win again in 2020 mostly because he can count on a large group of motivated and incredibly stupid, cynical and/or rabbid authoritarian followers. Jingoism always was one of the great vices of the American public. I think it's one of the large cause of Trump's success and resilience. "This is America, **** everybody else!" is, sorrowfully, all you need to gain the support of a solid chunk of the electorate.

Re: post #7

epronovost

Re: post #7

I don't see our two posts as mutually exclusive. You believe many Americans support Trump because he is a political outsider who is trying his best to fullfil his promise. I believe that the people who supported him are either complete idiots, cynical self interested people or rabid authoritarians. In my opinion, to like the promises Trump made is indeed attempting to keep, you pretty much need to be one of those (or a combination of the above). I see the main reason for the large number of complete idiots, cynical self interested people or rabbid authoritarians is the jngoism so common in American culture and media.

Last edited: