• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deity sends you to Hell, or do you choose?

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
I think it's kind of funny that Hell is being dismissed as 'pagan' but Hades (named for the Greek god who ruled the place of the same name or vice versa) is somehow okay as a substitute.

Unless we are using the ancient usage of 'pagan' which is how aristocratic Romans referred to lesser gods venerated by the common folk in which case Hades wouldn't count since Pluto (the Roman name for Hades) would have been considered a major god and therefore not pagan. Then again, if we use the ancient usage we'd have to say Sheol, Jehovah, and Jesus would all be pagan, too.

Personally, labeling something pagan doesn't move my scrimmage line in the slightest so it's completely moot but that's just me.

As for the OP if I die and find myself in Hell or Sheol or Hades, I will consider it my duty to escape regardless of whose fault it is. I have eternity to figure it out, after all.

No, I believe that you get the god you choose. For many, thats a version of 'satan'.

• Who is satan?
  • Hahahahaha
  • Why do they never ask that question?
  • Because they arent satanists. Neither do they even worship demons to any affect. Your place in hell is going to really really not be good.
  • your choice. The individuals choice,
  • HEAVEN OR HELL.

Freewill is an illusion. God created us and told us not to sin, but gave us the innate desire to sin. We were born to fail and we do all the time. So no we don't have a choice. We ether serve God and because obedient slaves or we give in to our innate desires and go to hell. There is no real choice.

The Anointed

It's making it a bit tough for people to insist they have to believe every word in the Bible as inerrant truth -- deny the reality of geology and cosmology -- or else they have to burn.

I think they offered the choice to Gallileo. For saying the earth goes round the sun? He recanted, of course, who wouldn't? But still the earth goes round the sun?

Matthew 12:26-32

(Post edited)

The Anointed

It's making it a bit tough for people to insist they have to believe every word in the Bible as inerrant truth -- deny the reality of geology and cosmology -- or else they have to burn.

I think they offered the choice to Gallileo. For saying the earth goes round the sun? He recanted, of course, who wouldn't? But still the earth goes round the sun?

Matthew 12:26-32

(Post edited)

. Afraid of the terrible persecution by the universal church against any and all who would indulge in the Pagan practice of the scientific study into the workings of the universe, which results challenged the authority of the church and brought into disrepute their sacred teachings, such as, the fact that their flat earth which was the center around which revolved the entire universe was created only some ten thousand years ago and was created in six literal 24 hour days etc. It was only when he was on his death- bed that Nicolaus Copernicus dared to publish his sun-centered model of the universe And it is my understanding that Galileo Galilei, who was constantly in conflict with the church, skillfully arguing with the church authorities for Copernicus views, finally died under house arrest as a prisoner of the Inquisition.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
No, I believe that you get the god you choose. For many, thats a version of 'satan'.

• Who is satan?
  • Hahahahaha
  • Because they arent satanists. Neither do they even worship demons to any affect. Your place in hell is going to really really not be good.
  • HEAVEN OR HELL.

You forgot the alternative, the one that corresponds to reality and not bronze age fantasy.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Your reality? That's nothing but your very subjective, limited, 'reality'.

:)

Real reality, that which can be shown to be real. Not the fantasy of bronze age sheep herders.

You seem to be confusing your subjective view with other people's objective view.

Please do not insult me by assuming i am as narrow minded as you appear to be.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure

• Who is satan?
  • Hahahahaha
  • HEAVEN OR HELL.

My choice of God doesnt exist, nor does anyone elses.

Where is the proof of the existence of heaven and hell?

And what merits hell?

My God wouldn't let evil stand not even one second of one day. My God would be everpresent, and at least active in human affairs. Compassion, and benevolence would be my God's heart of hearts.

Nothing lasts forever though, and God is proven not to exist.

So its incumbent on every being to rule themselves the best way they know how. Charity is how life is supposed to be imo.