• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

define soul

Nehustan

The elements were not seen as spiritual (other than the fifth), they were as I think I said considered mundane.

Nehustan

Nehustan said:
The elements were not seen as spiritual (other than the fifth), they were as I think I said considered mundane.

Of course the continuation of the 'soul' (water) beyond physical death does in this system does give it rather a metaphysical attibution as none have (as far as we know!!) returned, but I would definately not attribute this as being 'spiritual' as we commonly use the word.

Opethian

Well but the topic of this thread is the soul, so I was talking about this fifth element that was seen as spiritual. I have the feeling that we're kind of talking besides each other.

Opethian

soul = you - the meat

I agree, but I'm also 99,99...9% sure that the outcome to that equation is 0 :p, if you meant with meat everything there is to our bodies (I don't really consider eyeballs and fingernails meat ;)).

Nehustan

The fifth 'element' wasn't the soul. The fifth 'element 'as I delineated was the breath/spirit that was placed with the clay (i.e. the four mundane elements). Thus the fifth element would be the 'Holy Spirit' or 'Ruach Elohim' as it is termed in Genesis. The soul is mundane. The fact that it (the soul, i.e. us) is promised a second life, does not elevate it to the 'height' or even realm from which the 'Holy Spirit' proceeds.

Opethian

You said "the soul, ie us", so do you think that the soul is just a description for a variety of processes of material parts of our body?

Nehustan

I believe that there is an intangible (read not measureable) part of us that continues after death, yes. That this part (soul) resides in clay (flesh) and is accompanied by intellect (mind) and mundane spirit (energy i.e. Carbs ;)) I take as a long held belief that I find useful symbolically, thus psychologically, and in regards to my 'spiritual' beliefs/wellbeing. Mind you I'm an Anthropologist so these things would interest me, as does Biological science.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
the soul, psyche, or psuche in greek.

Many believers today consider that the soul and the spirit are one in the same. They don’t know what the difference is between them, and so are unable to accurately distinguish the voice of the Lord, that of the flesh, and even that of Satan! We as believers, and our churches will never move in the power of God unless our vision and plans are done in conformity to the voice of God being manifested by the Holy Spirit.

It is crucial for us to learn how to differentiate between our souls and our spirits, and even know that the two exist. In the original Greek New Testament this distinction is radical. Man’s spirit, or God The Holy Spirit, is defined as a pneuma. Our word pneumatic originates from this, and has to do with air or breath. The Meridian Webster dictionary defines pneumatic as something that is “moved or worked by air pressure”.

Our spirit is the organ which God has given us to embrace, discern, and manifest the pneumatic or windy movements of the Holy Spirit. Our souls were never equipped for this function!! Our human spirit is the organ that is home to God’s Holy Spirit and is able to discern God’s voice.

John 4:24 God is a Spirit(pneuma): and they that worship him must worship him in spirit(pneuma) and in truth.
John 3:8 The wind(pneuma) bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.(pneumatos).

What is our soul then? The soul (psyche or psuche in the Greek) is the combination of faculties that consists of the mind, intellect, will, and emotions. The soul performs rational and intellectual functions.

The rational will never capture the wind! This is why we are unable to discern God with our souls alone. One of the reasons for this is that our souls are open to the attack and deception of the enemy. This occurs because quite often our decisions are based on feelings. God then, had to create an organ within us which is not affected either by our emotions or intellect; and the attack of the enemy mainly our human spirits.
1 Thessalonians 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit(pneuma) and soul(psyche) and body(soma) be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Heb4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul (psyche) and spirit( pneumatos) , and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

cardero

Citizen Mod
I agree, but I'm also 99,99...9% sure that the outcome to that equation is 0.
You are correct, without a form to express it, a soul (you) is almost impossible to detect.
In spiritual existences (if you believe in such existences) a form may be deemed unnecessary.

if you meant with meat everything there is to our bodies (I don't really consider eyeballs and fingernails meat ).

I consider eyeballs more of a side dish and fingernails as an in between snack.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
this was the original post of this thread
bunny1ohio said:
What exactly is a soul supposed to be anyway? A spirit that makes you exactly who you are and whose personality moves with them to a higher plane when their body dies? Is it life giving energy with consciousness?... what would that mean for our definition?...

Animals would have souls... as would an insect... but we don't think every living thing has a soul do we? No... why not? What exactly is a soul...

anybody ... everybody... I want everyone's opinion on this one :D

i am happy to state my beliefs on the soul, and i am happy to try and answer questions about that belief, but the op had nothing about peoples beliefs being subject to scientific investigation - for this reason, i will respectfully withdraw from this debate, as i have neither the time or the energy to take part in such a debate. :sorry1:

Nehustan

Mike182 said:
this was the original post of this thread

i am happy to state my beliefs on the soul, and i am happy to try and answer questions about that belief, but the op had nothing about peoples beliefs being subject to scientific investigation - for this reason, i will respectfully withdraw from this debate, as i have neither the time or the energy to take part in such a debate. :sorry1:

Mike to be honest, I think it light of the OP you have every right to continue stating your beliefs, as you were asked. Although I have found the 'scientific' banter fun I didn't want to fuel any negative criticism of beliefs that might of been occuring.