• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Decline of Christianity in Canada Faster than Ever

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Religion is not as important as spirituality anymore, it seems.

Perhaps, but consider this: Statistics Canada data confirms the generational gap, finding that religious affiliation was at 85 per cent among older Canadians born between 1940 and 1959, compared with 32 per cent for those born between 1980 and 1999.

Gunn Wongsuwan, 28, knows, at his age, he’s in the minority as a regular Metropolitan churchgoer. The Toronto resident was brought up Roman Catholic but stopped attending church as a teenager. When he returned, in his late teens while living in Scotland, his friends thought he was “crazy.”

“I went back into church looking for structure, and then just realized there was a lot more to it than that. There's a whole side of wanting to be still for a bit, to think on the eternal, to appreciate the art and the music and to contemplate the whole narrative,” Wongsuwan says. He joined Metropolitan upon moving back to Canada.

When asked his views on the role religion plays in 2021, given the changing times, Wongsuwan says perhaps now it is more important than ever.

“Aristotle said that man is a political animal. I think we're also religious animals. A lot of us try to see meaning, to have a sense of spirituality. We want order, we want knowledge, and I think we have this sort of longing to be something that's bigger than ourselves.”

But of course, looking for structure, or being still, thinking on the eternal, appreciating art and music can be done in so many ways: clubs, galleries and museums, theatre -- all these things can provide a means to consider life from a larger perspective than ourselves. And you will find that many non-religious people, who may also not call themselves "spiritual" (I include myself in that), are often huge users of all those facilities. I certainly am, and they all contribute to how I view the world, myself, and my connection to everything else.

It doesn't any good, in my view, to try to see "meaning" by accepting what is unlikely to be true, or to seek knowledge in that which is, in many aspects, known to be false.

And to be bigger than yourself, start by simply accepting that you are connected to the world -- then, through your own works, become a part of the beating heart of that world, pumping life support to the whole body of it.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Frankly, I cannot feel sorry for people leaving religious groups as so many of these groups simply do not much embrace even basic science or any semblance of objectivity. It's sorta like trying to solve 21st century questions with centuries-old "answers".

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Is St. Louis the Bible Belt?

This map from wikipedia might be helpful.

BibleBelt.png

Colt

Religiosity in Canada is at an all-time low, with recently released data from Statistics Canada showing only 68 per cent of Canadians 15 or older now report having a religious affiliation. It’s the first time that number has dipped below 70 per cent since StatCan began tracking the data in 1985.

It's important to note that this decline is not across the board; the number of Muslims, Sikhs, Buddhists and Hindus is increasing, and StatCan predicts the number of Canadians reporting a non-Christian religious affiliation could double by the year 2036.

Christianity, however, is in sharp decline. In 2011, 67.3 per cent (about 22.1 million people) of Canadians said they were affiliated with a Christian religion. In 2019, that number had dropped to 63.2 per cent. Catholicism, Canada’s largest denomination, now accounts for 32 per cent of Canadians over 15, down from 46.9 per cent in 1996.

THe United Church of Canada, the country’s second-largest Canadian Christian denomination, accounted for 14.6 per cent of Canadians in 1985. In 1996, that number had declined to 9.7 per cent and to just 3.8 per cent in 2019. Islam, considered a minority religion, now sits at 3.7 per cent.

Will Christianity be pretty much gone in Canada in 20 years or so? Looks possible.

......."no civilization could long survive the loss of the best in its religion"

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
......."no civilization could long survive the loss of the best in its religion"

I remember when we gays could finally start getting legally married and conservatives freaked out about how society was going to collapse then too. :facepalm:

Colt

I remember when we gays could finally start getting legally married and conservatives freaked out about how society was going to collapse then too. :facepalm:
If marriage is good for heterosexuals and society then it's good for gay people. Marriage is a positive social value. But marriage is not a department of the church.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Religiosity in Canada is at an all-time low, with recently released data from Statistics Canada showing only 68 per cent of Canadians 15 or older now report having a religious affiliation. It’s the first time that number has dipped below 70 per cent since StatCan began tracking the data in 1985.

It's important to note that this decline is not across the board; the number of Muslims, Sikhs, Buddhists and Hindus is increasing, and StatCan predicts the number of Canadians reporting a non-Christian religious affiliation could double by the year 2036.

Christianity, however, is in sharp decline. In 2011, 67.3 per cent (about 22.1 million people) of Canadians said they were affiliated with a Christian religion. In 2019, that number had dropped to 63.2 per cent. Catholicism, Canada’s largest denomination, now accounts for 32 per cent of Canadians over 15, down from 46.9 per cent in 1996.

THe United Church of Canada, the country’s second-largest Canadian Christian denomination, accounted for 14.6 per cent of Canadians in 1985. In 1996, that number had declined to 9.7 per cent and to just 3.8 per cent in 2019. Islam, considered a minority religion, now sits at 3.7 per cent.

Will Christianity be pretty much gone in Canada in 20 years or so? Looks possible.
It's would be nice. I won't miss those obnoxious religious radio shows begging for money and peddling their wares.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I asked what I thought was about a million people, "Okay, so you think if two guys can get married, marriage will lose its value and everybody will hate it -- so, will you stop loving your wife (or husband) if I marry my partner?"

Nobody EVER answered.

GardenLady

And a (former) friend was convinced that Christian (TM) religious would eventually be "forced" by the government to perform gay marriages, per a FB post. But a friend of hers responded that "they" (meaning gay people) don't care about churches. SMH.

GardenLady

@Evangelicalhumanist, I have been reading the novels of Louise Penny (Chief Inspector Gamache series) and she clearly states that religiosity in Quebec is greatly on the decline. She also claims the use of religious language has become common as curses (tabernac! chalice!)

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
If marriage is good for heterosexuals and society then it's good for gay people. Marriage is a positive social value. But marriage is not a department of the church.

You appear to have completely missed the point.