• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Darwins view on disabilities

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
WTF does that have to do with the theory of evolution if I say the guilt by association is not always a fallacy? Talk about non sequitur, this one takes the cake
I have no time to waste on you now while you dissect every word and try to find reason to use it to win whatever it is you think you are going for.

Darwin had racist views. No one is saying he did not. Darwin held sexist views. No one is saying he did not. He made mistakes in his personal views that were based in part on the culture he existed in. I say that he was the kind of person, that, given the understanding would have changed those views and is nothing like modern racists.

Since you are closed to any rational discussion, I do not see any point in going on at this time.

I gotta get something to eat sport. You take care.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
No I wasn't. I didn't even mention the theory of evolution. I was just arguing that Darwin was a vile racist pig who had some very bigoted views that people like you accept because he is an authority.

So how long have you been into Neo-Nazism?
But I did. Several times. It was clear. You were probably too busy quote mining to read the whole posts.

I agree with racist, I do not agree with vile pig.

There you go again. Putting words into my mouth and applying your own views as my feelings. They are not mine, just because you claim they are. What it really says to me is that you have missed the points when you went into damage control mode.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
There were progressive feminist all over England at that time. He choose to believe that sexist crap, he is no victim of his times. That whole "he was a victim of his times" argument is getting old.
So what. Does the existence of them mean that everyone that existed at the time was aware or aware of everything they expressed. Does it imply understanding to everyone in their vision?

You are just making a lot of assumptions, declaring them true and attacking a dead guy that is not noted or revered as a racist by modern racists.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
Darwin had racist views. No one is saying he did not. Darwin held sexist views.
And this is what make him a bad man. I will explain it to you in very simple terms: people who are racists or sexists are bad people no matter who they are. Mel Gibson is a bad man, Cersai Lannister was a bad person, Ty Cobb was a bad man, Charles Darwin is a bad man.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Really? Maybe you should ask Charles A. Murray and Stephan Molyneux, because they seem to love Darwin an awful lot
What evidence do you have to support that these guys you know, love Darwin? And how is that his fault? How does that fault the theory of evolution?

You creationists? You will come up with anything to grasp at.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
But he had opinions regarding both birth defects and eugenics, race and culture, race and intelligence, poverty and intelligence and all sort of other bigoted crap. He spouting Bell Curve nonsense way ahead of his time. Quit being such a fanboy and just admit the man had some very bigoted ideas. Sometimes the people you admire are douche nozzles. Grow up and accept that fact.
I do not know that people are not recognizing that Darwin had some poor views on the subject. I am not sure what you want to achieve by beating on it. Darwin is not going to change. The science is not going to change on that basis. My admiration for his work is not going to change. I have an opinion that he was the type of person that would have changed his views given the right knowledge and argument. I have seen no reason that recognition of his racism would change that either.

I do note that "fanboy" is bigotry. Should you be condemned as a vile bigot?

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
And this is what make him a bad man. I will explain it to you in very simple terms: people who are racists or sexists are bad people no matter who they are. Mel Gibson is a bad man, Cersai Lannister was a bad person, Ty Cobb was a bad man, Charles Darwin is a bad man.
I see. So bigotry makes a man a bad man. You have shown bigotry. Therefore you are a bad man. I would not have said so, but it is your argument.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Yes racism and bigotry make you bad. Towards what group have I shown any bigotry
Individuals. I do not follow you well enough to know what groups you are bigoted against. Well, racists, but I agree with that one. Derogatory association of "fanboy" to someone that disagrees with you is identifying them with a class and dismissing them on that basis.

What does it mean to be a bad man? Does he take candy from babies?

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Yes racism and bigotry make you bad. Towards what group have I shown any bigotry
What is the ratio? Does it have to be only a little. I have been told that we are all racist to some degree. So we are all bad men. And women.

Lay all the data out for me, so that I too can grab onto this and beat it into the ground. Wait, I may already have grabbed on. Ah well. Lay out the data on quantification of bad guy. I would love to see it. How does Darwin rank among the different historical figures, his peer groups, present racists, etc?

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
It is funny. We both agree that racism is a bad character trait that should be condemned and erased. Yet here we are, latched onto something like bulldogs and beating it to death.

What is it that you think should come of this discussion?

The Reverend Bob

What is the ratio? Does it have to be only a little. I have been told that we are all racist to some degree. So we are all bad men. And women.

Lay all the data out for me, so that I too can grab onto this and beat it into the ground. Wait, I may already have grabbed on. Ah well. Lay out the data on quantification of bad guy. I would love to see it. How does Darwin rank among the different historical figures, his peer groups, present racists, etc?

A little yeast leavens the whole batch of dough - Galatians 5:9

The Reverend Bob

It is funny. We both agree that racism is a bad character trait that should be condemned and erased. Yet here we are, latched onto something like bulldogs and beating it to death.

What is it that you think should come of this discussion?
I want you to admit the Darwin was a bad man. You seem not to realize that being a good scientist, a good author or a good musician does not necessarily make someone a good person. Bad people can be good scientists, good authors and good musicians. Darwin is a bad person who was good at his job

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I want to to admit the Darwin was a bad man. You seem not to realize that being a good scientist, a good author or a good musician does not necessarily make someone a good person. Bad people can be good scientists, good authors and good musicians. Darwin is a bad person who was good at his job
When did I say that or anything that would lead to that conclusion. I have not and I do not.

I just disagree that he was a bad person. He was a person that held some bad ideas about other people. I think he could have risen above those ideas. I have seen people do it.

I was raised by a man that was not racist in expression or act and promoted equality. I was surprised to learn as a teenager that my father acknowledged being a racists as a young man. He was raised with those views in a community that manifested them in how some people were treated based on race. When he got out in the world, he observed, learned and rose above his past and history. Calling him a bad man does not jibe with the evidence. A bad man would not care if his views were emotional and cultural and had reasonable alternatives grounded in facts, and would not bother to change in light of the evidence.

Ty Cobb might have been that guy, but was Darwin?

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
A little yeast leavens the whole batch of dough - Galatians 5:9
I see. So the only good people are those without any bad character traits. So good men and women do not exist. Not that I disagree, but where does that leave your point in all of this?

I take it that you view even one mistake or one example of poor behavior to be enough to make a person bad.

Your standards are pretty strict and from what I have seen, you have not achieved them either.