• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Darwins view on disabilities

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
When did I say that or anything that would lead to that conclusion. I have not and I do not.

I just disagree that he was a bad person. He was a person that held some bad ideas about other people. I think he could have risen above those ideas. I have seen people do it.

I was raised by a man that was not racist in expression or act and promoted equality. I was surprised to learn as a teenager that my father acknowledged being a racists as a young man. He was raised with those views in a community that manifested them in how some people were treated based on race. When he got out in the world, he observed, learned and rose above his past and history. Calling him a bad man does not jibe with the evidence. A bad man would not care if his views were emotional and cultural and had reasonable alternatives grounded in facts, and would not bother to change in light of the evidence.

Ty Cobb might have been that guy, but was Darwin?
Dude, you just want to go on pretending Darwin was a good man. It is like you are invested in his character when you shouldn't be. He just didn't have bad ideas about race and gender, he espoused those ideas to the public and that makes him a very bad man

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
You asked how much racism makes a person bad. Well, the answer is just a little.
So we are all bad people. Everyone of us. Where does that leave you on selecting out the more well-known ones as examples of something when all it takes is one wrong notion and all of us are condemned. This seems like a rather long and circuitous path to get to a conclusion you could have made in one or two sentences.

I have done wrong in my life. I am a bad man by your standards. Is there no hope for bad men? Does it end there? Does everything I have posted and will post tainted now and forevermore?

Just to be clear, I have lost any idea of the point of this argument and what you were trying to establish that did not already exist.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Dude, you just want to go on pretending Darwin was a good man. It is like you are invested in his character when you shouldn't be. He just didn't have bad ideas about race and gender, he espoused those ideas to the public and that makes him a very bad man
Well, I am not, but let us say that we follow your rules and compare the quantity of his bad with the quantity of bad you have established for others. How does he rank? Maybe on the continuum from good to bad, he is not as far as some and further than others.

You are invested here. I am trying to understand your investment and the point you are trying to make for investing as you have.

The Reverend Bob

So we are all bad people. Everyone of us. Where does that leave you on selecting out the more well-known ones as examples of something when all it takes is one wrong notion and all of us are condemned. This seems like a rather long and circuitous path to get to a conclusion you could have made in one or two sentences.

I have done wrong in my life. I am a bad man by your standards. Is there no hope for bad men? Does it end there? Does everything I have posted and will post tainted now and forevermore?

Just to be clear, I have lost any idea of the point of this argument and what you were trying to establish that did not already exist.
Are racist bad people, yes or no?

The Reverend Bob

Well, I am not, but let us say that we follow your rules and compare the quantity of his bad with the quantity of bad you have established for others. How does he rank? Maybe on the continuum from good to bad, he is not as far as some and further than others.

You are invested here. I am trying to understand your investment and the point you are trying to make for investing as you have.
There is no continuum between good and evil. There is Good and then there is the absence of Good which we call evil. Evil is what happens when Good leaves the building and when it comes to racism Good has left the building, there is nothing remotely Good in racism.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Are racist bad people, yes or no?
I do not know. It would depend on what you mean by bad. You claim that even the slightest hint of racism is bad and that anyone with just a teensy tiny bit is a bad person. Let's just stick with that claim and you develop that a little further so I can understand it.

As I see it, you have to establish what you mean by bad. Establish how even one racist feeling condemns an entire person to being bad. Then explain what should be done once one recognizes that Darwin was a bad man.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
There is no continuum between good and evil. There is Good and then there is the absence of Good which we call evil. Evil is what happens when Good leaves the building and when it comes to racism Good has left the building, there is nothing remotely Good in racism.
So you are entirely black and white in your thinking with no grey. That is where our problem is. Not in whether Darwin was racist. We disagree over the extent of evil and not the existence of it.

The Reverend Bob

I do not know. It would depend on what you mean by bad. You claim that even the slightest hint of racism is bad and that anyone with just a teensy tiny bit is a bad person. Let's just stick with that claim and you develop that a little further so I can understand it.

As I see it, you have to establish what you mean by bad. Establish how even one racist feeling condemns an entire person to being bad. Then explain what should be done once one recognizes that Darwin was a bad man.
Bye, if you can't see that racism is wrong and evil then you aren't worth even associating with. There is something fundamentally wrong with you if you want to justify what is evil.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Human views and actions that can be condemned as evil is on a continuum. A guy that has racist views might give up his life to save another. Is that a bad man. For a creationist, it would matter greatly that the woman that saved all the people on a runaway train was a lesbian, when it has nothing to do with whether she is good or bad. Good and bad can be related to context, though I know that you do not like that idea.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Bye, if you can't see that racism is wrong and evil then you aren't worth even associating with. There is something fundamentally wrong with you if you want to justify what is evil.
So you are going to stomp your feet, make false claims and storm off?

What evil have I justified or attempted to? None. You talked about responsibility easily enough when you were alleging others were shirking it, but when it comes to your own, you are going to throw a tantrum rather than deal with it.

Sorry you feel that way. I was looking forward to reading the answers to my questions and an interesting discussion of good and evil.

The Reverend Bob

So you are going to stomp your feet, make false claims and storm off?

What evil have I justified or attempted to? None. You talked about responsibility easily enough when you were alleging others were shirking it, but when it comes to your own, you are going to throw a tantrum rather than deal with it.

Sorry you feel that way. I was looking forward to reading the answers to my questions and an interesting discussion of good and evil.
I am not stomping off I just think you are too much into hero-worship to listen to reason. You can't reason with a fan-boy about nothing whether it be Ariana Grande or Charles Darwin. Idolatry trumps reason

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
The things I really don't believe you understand the concepts. So please explain to me what you don't believe, so I may see if you understand the concepts
Thanks for, again, speaking down to me and insulting my intelligence.

It's not Darwin's fault that people don't understand that when scientists speak about something that is not within their field of study, that they are not speaking authoritatively on the subject.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
What a ridiculous false dichotomy.