• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cut Off During Valedictorian Speech

dust1n

Zindīq
Apparently, one person's silly, immature, juvenile, temper tantrum throwing brat is another person's heroic freedom fighter for truth, justice, and the American way.

I think it might be the different backgrounds we had; my school is so fully riddled with Christianity posing as "free speech" and "constitutional" and saw first hand the same emotional rhetoric and willingness to disobey a judge's ruling after the lawsuit is done, in which the entire community, including all local news mourn for their loss of freedom, while religious minorities got a huge sigh of relief that the constitution was finally being honored.

If it was about some other issue that didn't involve trying to personally rant at a graduation, I would agree that that is unfair.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Why even bother to have a graduation, instead of a speech?

That is exactly what it was in my day...
It was called "Speech Day"

There was no procession up the stage.
The selected few prize winners ( sporting, cadet force and academic) did go up and collect them from a Governor.
The rest of the time was all speeches. (unrehearsed and unvetted)
head master
head boy
Chairman of governors
invited speaker (a prominent... Governor, old boy, celeb with school connections etc.)

A couple of hours worth of talking and listening................

Nothing was rehersed... it was a well worn path.

This was usually followed by an outdoor sporting event, and dinner for invited guests and major players.

Open_Minded

Nothing is Separate
It was called "Speech Day" ....

This was usually followed by an outdoor sporting event, and dinner for invited guests and major players.

I was wondering if it was just me, but I don't remember my highschool graduation (nor my college graduation) being so staged. We went up to get diplomas. We had speakers, the speakers were given time limits - but their speeches weren't vetted.

I've been invited to speak - on occassion - as an adult. The last time I was invited to speak it was for a regional interfaith event. The event was in the Rotunda of our State Capitol Building. My speech was next to the keynote speaker. I was given time limits and requested to speak on a specific subject. That was it for limitations. We were not required (or even asked to show up for any rehersal). All of us who spoke have "day jobs". We were speaking in a volunteer capacity - and expecting any of us to spend hours rehearsing would have been out of line as well.

Never has my speech been vetted. In fact if someone wanted to vet a speech they invited me to give, I'd decline. In my mind - if they're inviting me to speak - they should trust me. Give me time limits, give me a subject matter to speak on. If you need content headings from me in advance to prepare promotional material, I understand. But vetting every single word before I speak would be a big "no no" in my book. Why must every moment on stage be scripted?

At the Interfaith event I wrote about earlier - there were some wonderful speeches, given by folks from many different cultures and religions (and non-religions - one Atheist spoke). Not all speeches were in agreement, on all things, save the theme of the event "Mutual Thanksgiving". We all left there with things to think about - because some folks spoke and said things that challenged us. If everything been scripted, if every word been vetted (it would have clamped down on the creativity of the speech writer), if everything been rehearsed to death.... well it would have destroyed the spontaneity.

I only use this interfaith event as one example, but still ... why must every moment on stage be scripted????? :shrug:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I only use this interfaith event as one example, but still ... why must every moment on stage be scripted????? :shrug:
I know what you mean, the times I have spoken, I was given a topic, a time limit and told when to show up. There was no vetting, whatsoever, of what I chose to say. I did prepare some short notes to help keep on topic, but I didn't write any speeches that I followed word for word.

Heck, I remember one time where I had written a speech and saw after a few minutes that what I was saying was sailing right over the heads of the audience. With a flare of drama, I tossed the speech aside and connected directly with the group on a more meaningful level. Quickly their eyes unglazed, LOL.

That said, I do find it odd that the mic was cut the instant his speech deviated from the prepared text. That is insulting to the chosen speaking, as well as the audience and definitely smacks of censorship. IF anything, cutting the mic would simply make the audience more curious about what the fellow had to say instead of just letting him talk. Heaven forbid, eh.

More to the point is why, exactly, do the administrator feel they need to approve given speeches? Are they worried that some kid might sound childish?

Last edited:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I know what you mean, the times I have spoken, I was given a topic, a time limit and told when to show up. There was no vetting, whatsoever, of what I chose to say. I did prepare some short notes to help keep on topic, but I didn't write any speeches that I followed word for word.

Heck, I remember one time where I had written a speech and saw after a few minutes that what I was saying was sailing right over the heads of the audience. With a flare of drama, I tossed the speech aside and connected directly with the group on a more meaningful level. Quickly their eyes unglazed, LOL.

That said, I do find it odd that the mic was cut the instant his speech deviated from the prepared text. That is insulting to the chosen speaking, as well as the audience and definitely smacks of censorship. IF anything, cutting the mic would simply make the audience more curious about what the fellow had to say instead of just letting him talk. Heaven forbid, eh.

More to the point is why, exactly, do the administrator feel they need to approve given speeches? Are they worried that some kid might sound childish?

Looks like my own mic has been cut off by people who never read a word I've been saying all along in this thread.

Open_Minded

Nothing is Separate
Looks like my own mic has been cut off by people who never read a word I've been saying all along in this thread.
Actually I've been watching this thread play out over several days - and have been reading what you said. Your mic wasn't cut off - there are several pages of content to show that.

I decided to weigh in after Terrywoodenpic made an observation I could relate to. :shrug:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Actually I've been watching this thread play out over several days - and have been reading what you said. Your mic wasn't cut off - there are several pages of content to show that.

I decided to weigh in after Terrywoodenpic made an observation I could relate to. :shrug:

I relate to both sides. Giving speeches and organizing official events. Alceste gave her side too being there. Got plenty of people explaining why an act by this kid wasn't an awesome form of civil disobedience, but more like a temper tantrum on stage, and that it was unprofessional.

I graduated in 1990. We rehearsed all day with our processional march, how we were to stand up row by row when the underclassmen ushers would stand by our designated rows, how we were to line up to walk across the stage to get our diplomas, and how both the Valedictorian and the Salutatorian both had to not only vet their speeches with school administration and the organizer, but had to rehearse their speeches twice each in front of us. That Friday was a requirement for everybody if we wanted to attend the ceremony on Saturday evening.

And as far as I knew, that hasn't changed, since before I graduated over 20 years ago to when our oldest son graduated high school 2 years ago. This isn't anything new, or weird, or callous, or anything. It's standard protocol to rehearse an official ceremony where a keynote speech is involved for time and content.

I find it odd to be accused of being a fuddy-duddy for once. Totally not used to that.

dust1n

Zindīq
It was called "Speech Day"

There was no procession up the stage.
The selected few prize winners ( sporting, cadet force and academic) did go up and collect them from a Governor.
The rest of the time was all speeches. (unrehearsed and unvetted)
head master
head boy
Chairman of governors
invited speaker (a prominent... Governor, old boy, celeb with school connections etc.)

Okay. If I had the option, I wouldn't even go. I can celebrate way better then.. that. But since it's a requirement to show up to these things, I prefer not to be preached at about a religious/political opinion, for an unknown amount of time, and this be a requirement for my diploma... especially from a eighteen year old that I have never met and is speaking on behalf of my class (me).

dust1n

Zindīq
And, of course, no one has addressed the likelihood of a lawsuit resulting when school officials condone proselytizing. I'm assuming no one here has had to give a speech in which the person providing you the stage may be sued for comments made by you.

Open_Minded

Nothing is Separate
And, of course, no one has addressed the likelihood of a lawsuit resulting when school officials condone proselytizing. I'm assuming no one here has had to give a speech in which the person providing you the stage may be sued for comments made by you.
Dustin - this young man had already spoken about God in his remarks. :shrug:

Beyond that - As a parent, I've been expected to accept legal responsibility for my children's actions while they were on school trips, etc... And when my children reached adult age, they were expected to accept legal responsibility for their own actions. (And that's as it should be).

If schools were really concerned about being sued for proselytizing they could make it abundantly clear to all parents and students involved that any law-suit arising as a result of said speeches would come back on them as individuals. That the school district would haul their butts into court right along with their staff. It's not that hard to do. When my kids went on school trips they had meetings to inform us parents of the rules involved and consequences if the rules were broken (and those rules included what would happen if our kids broke the law or caused the school legal harm) And we were expected to sign papers stating we knew the consequences. :shrug:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Hmm... not sure I have a solid opinion on the matter. Sure the kid was just throwing a temper tantrum, but I'm honestly surprised more students don't do that during graduation. If I were more extroverted, I certainly would have (I HATE graduation ceremonies, and never attended any of mine, and have no intention of attending any future graduations. My older and wiser me now would have my younger self inform the staff ahead of time, though.)

Then again, perhaps he should have just done just that: be a noshow. Still disrespectful to the people who planned the ceremony to include the speech, but at least the show can just move on, with confusion leading to questions and rumors, and subsequently answers online. Might have been more powerful.

Open_Minded

Nothing is Separate
Exactly ...

Another side to the need for spontaneity... that interfaith event I wrote about earlier ..

At the Interfaith event I wrote about earlier - there were some wonderful speeches, given by folks from many different cultures and religions (and non-religions - one Atheist spoke). Not all speeches were in agreement, on all things, save the theme of the event "Mutual Thanksgiving". We all left there with things to think about - because some folks spoke and said things that challenged us. If everything been scripted, if every word been vetted (it would have clamped down on the creativity of the speech writer), if everything been rehearsed to death.... well it would have destroyed the spontaneity.
Something quite interesting happened because it was not rehearsed and we speakers did not know what each other would say.

I tend to be pretty optimistic about interfaith dialog. Don't get me wrong, I get very frustrated with rigid and fundamentalist religions (of all kinds). But... overall ... I think we're further along the road to religious equity than we were 50 years ago. My speech was right before a speech given by someone I knew professionally, but I really didn't know his views on the state of interfaith dialog in this country. He is Jewish. I only knew he was going to speak a couple days before the engagement - and had no idea that he would be in line right after me. We ended up sitting next to each other on stage and had a very friendly conversation.

Then I got up to give my speech and focussed on how far we have come in this country in our ability to be tollerant of other beliefs. How thankful I was to be participating in that event - that a mere 10 years earlier hadn't even existed. How thankful I was that the folks in my community were doing the work of interconnecting and learning about each other and each other's faith traditions.

Then the speaker who followed me stood up and gave a very compelling and heart-felt speech challenging all of us in our views. Challenging my optimism (he even mentioned a few things I had said). He was very respectful, but he pointed out the need for us to do even more work. And he gave very concrete examples. He ended by affirming my thankfulness that we were there together celebrating Thanksgiving together, but challenging us not to forget the work ahead of us.

How would that have happened if we had rehearsed and knew in advance what the other planned on speaking about? He planned on challenging us all. He didn't plan my words directly before his, nor did I. Had I known of his challenging words, I would have revised my own words (because truth be told he made some very compelling points).

There is a real need for spontaneity in this world, there really is. We give up much when we claim the need to stage such events. :shrug:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I understand the views from both sides, but free speech is not givin up by students soley because they are present on school grounds. The supreme court has already formally recognized this. ..
"..... do not shed constitutional rights to freedom of speech or expression at the schoolhouse gates".
This is from Tinker v. Des Moines Independent Community School District.

A good example that perhaps comes closest imo to the topic here, seems to do with inappropriate material that causes disruptions, or may be perceived as offensive via a medium such as forums (Im thinking this includes ceremonies here) or newspapers reflecting student viewpoints.

This has been tempered in favor of the school thru judicial venues , hence the Supreme Court ruled that the schools imprimatur can be regulated if the school finds a " legitimate pedagogical reason for limiting a students speech" . This came from Hazelwood v. Kuhlmeir.

TBH this might make an interesting court case in light of previous rulings made beforehand although Im not aware of any case involving a graduation speech.

Personally I would agree to time restrictions and unrestricted speech within reasons involving guidelines on what has been said already in regards to obviously inflammatory or derogatory material designed to cause a stir, of which a school can approve or reject the content. Anything past that criteria however ought to remain unrestricted. I feel the school is in the wrong by way of cutting off the mike although I do agree the young man could have been more professional in regards to relaying the threat of being cut off.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
It's a deal. Whiskey for all the goody two shoes who follow the rules all the time and stifle freedom of speech and spontaneity in others by being big mean poopie-heads *cough cough*.

That's like the most thoroughly accurate description of me made by anyone, anywhere, ever. I hate freedom of speech! I love the rules! Give me a double!

Alceste

Vagabond
I relate to both sides. Giving speeches and organizing official events. Alceste gave her side too being there. Got plenty of people explaining why an act by this kid wasn't an awesome form of civil disobedience, but more like a temper tantrum on stage, and that it was unprofessional.

I graduated in 1990. We rehearsed all day with our processional march, how we were to stand up row by row when the underclassmen ushers would stand by our designated rows, how we were to line up to walk across the stage to get our diplomas, and how both the Valedictorian and the Salutatorian both had to not only vet their speeches with school administration and the organizer, but had to rehearse their speeches twice each in front of us. That Friday was a requirement for everybody if we wanted to attend the ceremony on Saturday evening.

And as far as I knew, that hasn't changed, since before I graduated over 20 years ago to when our oldest son graduated high school 2 years ago. This isn't anything new, or weird, or callous, or anything. It's standard protocol to rehearse an official ceremony where a keynote speech is involved for time and content.

I find it odd to be accused of being a fuddy-duddy for once. Totally not used to that.

I think people are really struggling not to see this as repression, arbitrary authority and an assault on free speech. That's the advantage of being the network that originally frames the story, I guess. Many readers will not bother to think any further, especially if you frame it in an inflammatory way.

dust1n

Zindīq
Dustin - this young man had already spoken about God in his remarks. :shrug:

Beyond that - As a parent, I've been expected to accept legal responsibility for my children's actions while they were on school trips, etc... And when my children reached adult age, they were expected to accept legal responsibility for their own actions. (And that's as it should be).

If schools were really concerned about being sued for proselytizing they could make it abundantly clear to all parents and students involved that any law-suit arising as a result of said speeches would come back on them as individuals. That the school district would haul their butts into court right along with their staff. It's not that hard to do. When my kids went on school trips they had meetings to inform us parents of the rules involved and consequences if the rules were broken (and those rules included what would happen if our kids broke the law or caused the school legal harm) And we were expected to sign papers stating we knew the consequences. :shrug:

I find it amazing you are defending to me that instead (real quick, students at my school sued for $1) of using scare monetary resources to provide kids a solid educational, that the school devote it's money and efforts, to the point where parents need to contribute even more money to the school district, in frivolous lawsuits (and inevitable failures) in trying to disregard the court's decision of the separation of church and state.

Consider:

"A spokesman for the public school district where a student recently decided to recite the Lord's Prayer instead of give a planned graduation speech has stated that students' rights should not be restricted.

On June 1, Liberty High School valedictorian Roy Costner IV ripped up his pre-approved speech and chose to deliver a speech that included the Lord's Prayer at his graduation ceremony. John Eby, public information specialist for the School District of Pickens County, S.C., told The Christian Post that a student's right to religious expression cannot be restricted.

"We also cannot pre-approve a message from the school – whether delivered by a student or a staff member – that endorses a religion," said Eby.

"However, we also cannot restrict the right of students to express their religious or non-religious beliefs when they are speaking on their own behalf.""

School District Spokesman on Costner's Graduation Speech: We Can't Restrict Students' Rights

I can already see the judge ruling against this "loophole." Ultimately, by disregarding their own policies and set speeches, they are condoning (and obviously knowingly) the right of a student to "randomly" break out into a tirade with no limits. Which could be basically a sermon. Of course, there are limits...

I know for a fact if the topic was "Bradley Manning" and not "God," the mic would have been shut off immediately and no one would have gave two ***** regarding THAT free speech. Or if any other student ran up, took a microphone, and started giving even the most eloquent and enlightening speech, that that mic would not also be cut off, with basically no protest. I'm not blind to this sort of hypocrisy... I saw it first hand in my own high school 3 years (I left for university on the school system's dime because the "education" was so bad.) And I much saw the complete dismissal of any students or families to which God has nothing to do THEIR graduation or being handed a diploma, even though the ceremony is equally theirs.

Last edited: