• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cut Off During Valedictorian Speech

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
If he meant what he said, why didn't he think to include it on the speech he wrote beforehand? You know, the one the school told him not to deviate from if he didn't want his mic cut off?
Well, it has been reported (Thanks Dust1n) that he was threatened with having his mic turned off if he deviated from the speech he turned in, so if the threat occurred after he turned his speech in, then he couldn't have included it in the preapproved speech, no?

I still want to hear your best guess as to why you think he felt so passionately that he needed to say something that he didn't bother to write down in his speech beforehand. You've ruled out a prayer, but you haven't explained why.
Let's see, if he was threatened with having his mic turned off if he deviated from the speech (which implies that he had turned it in, since the threat was from the day before the speech,) then he couldn't have included that incident in his pre-approved speech. (Unless he had a time machine. :p )

Alceste

Vagabond
If he didnt feel he could be amazing with a preplanned speech, he could have just said so instead of going against rules cause of his incompetence.

True. He didn't have to accept the role at all knowing he was unwilling or unable to write and deliver a speech without going off on some kind of improvised tangent.

Alceste

Vagabond
Well, it has been reported (Thanks Dust1n) that he was threatened with having his mic turned off if he deviated from the speech he turned in, so if the threat occurred after he turned his speech in, then he couldn't have included it in the preapproved speech, no?

Let's see, if he was threatened with having his mic turned off if he deviated from the speech (which implies that he had turned it in, since the threat was from the day before the speech,) then he couldn't have included that incident in his pre-approved speech. (Unless he had a time machine. :p )

Why not? You don't think he could have done a rewrite and given it to the organizers an hour or two before he had to go up on stage? That kind of thing happens all the time.

dust1n

Zindīq
My best guess is that he meant exactly what he said.

You guys don't have to put up with this **** anymore. (Being threatened with having your microphone cut.) This is the United States, and the Constitution guarantees us freedom of speech. Don't let this stupid rule condition your future actions. Don't be afraid to speak up, and don't forget what happened here.

So if we disagree, we must be brainwashed...

Argument by slogan... perhaps...

Last edited by a moderator:

dust1n

Zindīq
You could probably fool me and the audience by bringing your computer on stage disguised as some kind of bizarre invention of your own, and look like you're doing something to it to make the sounds come out. :p

:D I'll just cover my desktop with a guitar case.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Why not? You don't think he could have done a rewrite and given it to the organizers an hour or two before he had to go up on stage? That kind of thing happens all the time.

It's called "event planning."

My colleagues in this area are part of the crew of a guest speaker series called "Arts and Issues". It's freaking amazing, and I love going to watch and listen. I also know what goes into the planning of these events that make it so amazing, and how much the keynote speaker must be in communication with the crew and booth to ensure a smooth-sailing event for everyone involved.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Launch into Bye Bye Miss American Pie at the twelve minute mark.

Cane me if I ever launch into American Pie at any mark, ever. And then give me some whisky and rye. I mean, cause I'd probably be singing that that would be the day that I'd die.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Which is exactly why his mic was cut off, and rightly so. Instead of being "amazing," as you suggest, he instead choose to look silly.

Apparently, one person's silly, immature, juvenile, temper tantrum throwing brat is another person's heroic freedom fighter for truth, justice, and the American way.

Alceste

Vagabond
It's called "event planning."

My colleagues in this area are part of the crew of a guest speaker series called "Arts and Issues". It's freaking amazing, and I love going to watch and listen. I also know what goes into the planning of these events that make it so amazing, and how much the keynote speaker must be in communication with the crew and booth to ensure a smooth-sailing event for everyone involved.

Yeah, I love planning events. It's so satisfying to see them succeed, and see everything that goes into it on stage and behind the scenes.

Alceste

Vagabond
Cane me if I ever launch into American Pie at any mark, ever. And then give me some whisky and rye. I mean, cause I'd probably be singing that that would be the day that I'd die.

Drive your Chevy to the Levy. I'll give you your caning there, but only if the Levy is dry.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Yeah, I love planning events. It's so satisfying to see them succeed, and see everything that goes into it on stage and behind the scenes.

It really is amazing. Sometimes the adrenaline rush is overwhelming. Sometimes it's maddening. But it's never boring or mundane.

I've thought about this some more today, and we could take something out of this as a positive note....if an audience or an observer looks at an event like this, a ceremony, a toast, a convention, a play, a concert, etc., and come out of it with the idea that it looks really easy, we must have done our jobs right. Or at least our colleagues have. :D

Because otherwise being faced with the idea that there's no reason to have a Master of Ceremonies doing his or her job, or an event coordinator, or a stage manager, making sure what is happening on stage is going as planned, I'm left speechless. No pun intended.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

Somehow, I really doubt he was "threatened." Announcing the rules, which is probably most likely what did actually happen, is far from a threat. This kid is a fine example of why people shouldn't be considered adults at the under-developed age of 18.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
All the best and brightest young people are rebels and always have been.
nearly all of then end up top of the heap
and reactionary.
It is just the way it is.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
All the best and brightest young people are rebels and always have been.
nearly all of then end up top of the heap
and reactionary.
It is just the way it is.

Oh I think so too. I applaud those who are rebellious against what is truly and honestly oppressive. Where we part ways, however, is where there exists oppression in a graduation speech that must stay on script. People may find it odd, but he didn't play by the rules of the game when it came to the event's and school's policy.

My views are this young man had a rant in front of a lot of people. His mic was turned off. Was he beaten and dragged off stage? Was he actually "threatened" with seizure of anti-establishment material at his house? Were his parents detained? NO. His mic was turned off. It's the result of unprofessionalism and immaturity.

It would be like a formal dinner he'd be expected to attend, and he decided as Guest of Honor to spit on the table in front of everybody, tell people he was going to spit on the table as a sign of protest, be warned that if he did spit on the table he'd be excused from the dinner service, and after spitting on the table in front of everybody, he was excused from the dinner service....and it made the news as a mark of oppression and censorship, and that his actions are considered worthy of applause because of a rebellion against an oppressive and arbitrary authority.

The people who do make the history books as rebellious are people like Malcolm X, Angela Davis, the suffragettes, people that not only refused to succumb to order, but led a movement against government and cultural oppression.

Y'all think staying on script is oppressive? All right. I think the next time somebody tells me they're heading out to see a film or a stage play for entertainment, rest, relaxation, I'll sneak into the booth and make sure over the loudspeaker I'll play on a loop crowd chants yelling "Black Power!" again and again, and see who applauds the move then.

And then I'll do something similar again. And again. And...well y'all get the point, right?