• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crusades:Your Opinion

Crusades:Your Opinion

• Absolutely Necessary

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Unnecessary

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • Other

Votes: 14 38.9%

• Total voters

CynthiaCypher

Western Patriarchal Imperialism. Raping of the Muslim world. Masses manipulated to support a war based upon lies and misconception.

Same old. Same old.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Other: A fine example of just how disgusting and evil mankind can be. Rich men after fortune, poor men tempted with salvation, and they left a path of terror, rape, murder, and destruction from Europe to Asia. Every Jewish and pagan settlement they came across was just practice for when they finally got to the Levant.

Last edited:

samosasauce

Crusades were stupid and deadly. They were necessary for our current present, however. I wonder what the world would be like if they never occurred...

Phil25

Western Patriarchal Imperialism. Raping of the Muslim world. Masses manipulated to support a war based upon lies and misconception.

Same old. Same old.

Maybe...
But dont forget, Muslims had been conquering Christian territories from Spain to Syria for 4 centuries. From 1071, Muslim Turks were conquering Christian Byzantine Empire. I hardly hear anyone saying that it was Islamic Patriarchal Imperialism.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I can't really view them as either necessary or unnecessary, so I voted for "Other".

While they should have been avoided, they were the result of a society that lacked the skill, the knowledge and the means to deal with their issues of demography and pride in a significantly different way.

It is sad that so little has changed since.

CynthiaCypher

Maybe...
But dont forget, Muslims had been conquering Christian territories from Spain to Syria for 4 centuries. From 1071, Muslim Turks were conquering Christian Byzantine Empire. I hardly hear anyone saying that it was Islamic Patriarchal Imperialism.

Because Islamic Patriarchal Expansion is not the subject at hand.

Haryaksha

I chose 'Other' because the Crusades were so broad and varied in nature. Some crusades were in legitimate self-defense against invading Muslims. But there were also the Northern Crusades, which massacred pagans.

Reactions: MD

Ryujin

Dragon Worshipper
I voted for "unnecessary". In seeking to stop the Muslim expansion, the Europeans caused so much widespread pain and suffering and destruction, far more than the Muslims had ever done.

I'm usually in complete agreement with Shahz but this time, I'm not. The Christian world was powerful and widespread. Even if the Muslims would've conquered the Eastern Roman Empire, which they eventually did, (and it didn't, by the way, lead to the extermination of Christianity in those lands) The Holy Roman empire would've stopped their penetration much further into Europe, just as they stopped the expansion of the Andalusian Caliphate. Persia was in close proximity to the Arabian peninsula. You just can't compare the two.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I voted "unnecessary" but did so on the basis on "Monday-morning quarterbacking"-- too much lost, nothing gained.

Wirey

Fartist
I voted "unnecessary" but did so on the basis on "Monday-morning quarterbacking"-- too much lost, nothing gained.

Plenty gained! My ancestrors sold arrows, and man, those were boom times! They were living high on the pottage!

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Necessary? No.

Inevitable? Yes.

Much of what mankind engages in isn't really necessary. However, most of it is unavoidable.