• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Create the jury of your peers

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Eek! Would I be better off just pleading guilty as charged? :eek:

Yes! I broke the 5th precept against intoxicants! I admit it, I did brush the fruitcake I just baked with booze! Will I do it again? Probably.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I feel like I’d want @Sunstone because they seem very honest and strive for intellectual honesty.
@Left Coast because I think they value justice. @Rival seems like a good pick to have on your team @SalixIncendium because I think we share somewhat the same sense of ethics. Sort of hehe
@Debater Slayer because I mean it’s all in the name, right? They’d slay in any debate. :cool:
@ChristineM Never hurts to have a friendly skull on your side
I’d have @Revoltingest just to spice things up and watch him throw haggis at everyone

I’m sure I’ve missed some, since I am still recovering from Christmas :D my poor head lol

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
If you were being tried and had to select a jury of your peers from the members of RF, who would you want on your jury and who would you never accept on your jury?
I don't know if I could name 12, let's see.

I make the assumption that it is a complicated case. There is no much importance in a jury in an open-and-shut case. Therefore not only honesty and impartiality are tantamount but also the ability to understand what's going on.
@Polymath257,
@ChristineM,
@exchemist,
@Subduction Zone are clearly on the brighter side.
@Rival,
@adrian009,
@Harel13,
@lewisnotmiller are on the staff for a reason. They seem to always be able to see both sides of a coin, even when they argue for one.
@Sunstone may not have all the answers but has always the best questions - and the ability to listen to the answers.
@blü 2 seems wise to me.
@sun rise is also impartial as far as I can see.
11? Close enough, may as well throw in @Revoltingest as comic relief.

I'm pretty sure to get a fair punishment with these if I'm guilty.

Edit: On second thought, @Evangelicalhumanist may be a better choice as 12th juror. Better take justice serious.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I feel like I’d want @Sunstone because they seem very honest and strive for intellectual honesty.

Well, I do try to be intellectually honest. That's true enough. But on the other hand, I am a natural born screw up who creates a mess of nearly everything I set out to do -- so you might want to take that into account, as well. :D

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I thought, and thought, and thought. Probably no one. Bench trial would be nice, I guess depending on the state.

Defense lawyers have told me that bench trials are best when your goal is to get off on a legal technicality, while jury trials should be preferred when you have a case that lends itself to an emotional defense.

Also, my uncle (who began his career as a defense attorney), used to say that whenever the outcome of a trial would likely hinge on the testimony of a police officer, he would make certain to get as many Black people on the jury as possible because Blacks almost always have firsthand experience of being lied to, or lied about, by police officers.

He was a Republican, by the way. His packing juries with Blacks had nothing to do with politics, but was simply a calculated move to defend his clients.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think staff have an unfair advantage in this exercise, because we see each other acting as a kind of jury for our peers all the time. And in my biased opinion we have a damn good team who does a very fair job and would all make solid jurors.
That's like trusting cops to be judge, jury, & executioner.
I exclude @Revoltingest from the list only because I'd much prefer him to be my lawyer.
R4d4f0918b4128b0a5d925e1d9469878e

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I thought, and thought, and thought. Probably no one. Bench trial would be nice, I guess depending on the state.
A law professor I know explained it thus....
if you're guilty: Jury trial cuz of more emotion & prejudice.
If innocent: Bench trial cuz more about evidence, argument, & law.

Of course, trials are always a crapshoot. I've seen wrongful
behavior in them all....lawyers, prosecutors, judges, juries.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
@Left Coast because I think they value justice. @Rival seems like a good pick to have on your team @SalixIncendium because I think we share somewhat the same sense of ethics. Sort of hehe
@Debater Slayer because I mean it’s all in the name, right? They’d slay in any debate. :cool:
@ChristineM Never hurts to have a friendly skull on your side
I’d have @Revoltingest just to spice things up and watch him throw haggis at everyone

I’m sure I’ve missed some, since I am still recovering from Christmas :D my poor head lol
You might regret it.
The one time I was jury foreman, no one elected me or even
agreed to it. It was a 1-person coup made necessary to
find the guy not guilty (no case against him) & get the Heck
out of there. Too many women wanted a conviction because
he was "scary looking".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
How I picked jurors....
- Sympathetic to jury nullification, ie, not guilty by reason of bad law.
- Lacking hostilities
- Open minded even when disagreeing
- Decent judgement
- And one brain damaged jerk from Canuckistan

The appearance of political & religious diversity just happened.

Last edited: