• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crazy gun laws

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I think it's a valid point that the approach in the Second Amendment is already rather extreme when considered against the range of possible approaches to guns. It's reasonable to consider someone an extremist (or "nut") if they've taken an extreme position.
So my father who lives in the middle of nowhere and owns an old hunting rifle, shotgun, and a few pistols - locked up in a safe, probably untouched for a few years - is "extreme"? If anything is extreme, it's the level of emotion elicited by these inanimate objects.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So my father who lives in the middle of nowhere and owns an old hunting rifle, shotgun, and a few pistols - locked up in a safe, probably untouched for a few years - is "extreme"?
It's not just a matter of what a person does themselves; it's a matter what what they advocate for.

For instance, if your father advocates for, say, the general right to carry a concealed pistol in a mall, I would say that he's extreme regardless of whether he exercises this right himself.

... but as it stands now, I don't know whether your father is a gun extremist or not.

If anything is extreme, it's the level of emotion elicited by these inanimate objects.
For me, it's not the inanimate objects that elicit the emotion; it's their death toll.

Firearms kill about as many people as car crashes in your country. I've dedicated most of my working life to reducing deaths and injuries from collisions; if anything, my response to guns has been disproportionately lax.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So my father who lives in the middle of nowhere and owns an old hunting rifle, shotgun, and a few pistols - locked up in a safe, probably untouched for a few years - is "extreme"? If anything is extreme, it's the level of emotion elicited by these inanimate objects.
Emotion & perhaps something more, given that so many in the anti-gun crowd appear to always make it about penis size.
(They don't believe women can be pro-gun?)
It isn't just brought up here & there....it can pervade an entire thread.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Your source is a little out of date (2008). The ones I quoted are from 2013 (for the US anyways).

Also, how exactly are we "a lot higher"? Considering that the actual difference between our rates is only ~2.8 homicides/100k? And sorry if I seemed a little short. It is a pet peeve of mine when people on RF quote statistics with no source when one can be found within 10 seconds on google.
When there is a difference, even using your own statistics, whereas the U.S. homicide rate is 3-4 times higher here, I would suggest that this is significant.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Emotion & perhaps something more, given that so many in the anti-gun crowd appear to always make it about penis size.
Anyone who wants to question my penis size based on the gun issue can have an up close and personal look.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
th

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
When a gun advocate is super-insistent on their right to open carry in schools/concealed carry without a permit/no waiting period for rocket launchers/whatever but their arguments make no sense, it certainly suggests that:

- the real reasons they like guns aren't what they're letting on.
- whatever the real reason is, it's something very important to them.
- at the same time, it's something they don't want to share publicly.

Penis worries fit this, but so do other reasons. I agree that the leap to genitals is usually unjustified.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
When a gun advocate is super-insistent on their right to open carry in schools/concealed carry without a permit/no waiting period for rocket launchers/whatever but their arguments make no sense, it certainly suggests that:

Penis worries fit this, but so do other reasons. I agree that the leap to genitals is usually unjustified.
Only "usually".
Et tu Penguin?

esmith

Veteran Member
When a gun advocate is super-insistent on their right to open carry in schools/concealed carry without a permit/no waiting period for rocket launchers/whatever but their arguments make no sense,
Do I believe in open carry? Yes, but it looks ridiculous. Would I open carry? Yes, but only when I was hunting or riding, or up in the mountains. Most of the open carry idiots are trying to impress someone or doesn't want to pay for the class to obtain a CCW.
Uh, it is illegal to own a rocket launcher unless you have a special ATF license; but I assume you are being sarcastic. So, I assume you are addressing no waiting period for a firearm. Well to start with that is a State by State issue. I do not have the time or inclination to look up every states laws. All I know is my state does not require a waiting period to purchase a rifle, shotgun, or handgun and I agree with that. FYI did you know that a LEO still has to have a background check to purchase a firearm unless that have a CCW which they don't have to have because a LEO has carry privilege in every state. I with a CCW do not need a background check to purchase a firearm whereas my brother who is a LEO does. Pretty stupid laws out the

it certainly suggests that:

You can ask me any time you want why I like firearms and I will give you my honest reasons. But see no sense now.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Uh, it is illegal to own a rocket launcher unless you have a special ATF license...

Don't ask Scalia about that because he thinks it might be covered under the 2nd :rolleyes:, but he says he has to think about it more.:rolleyes: