• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covid and your job

Orbit

I'm a planet
If you worked in a high risk job, would you try to work from home even though it might jeopardize a promotion? Asking for a friend.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
If you worked in a high risk job, would you try to work from home even though it might jeopardize a promotion? Asking for a friend.
Is your friend an elementary school teacher? I think the kids should just be taken out of school for 2 years. I think they'll benefit from it, anyway.

I guess overall I am in favor of the working from home mainly because of the risk whether it be schooling or something like serving people or delivering mail or whatevs. This is just 1 pandemic, but it was predicted by multiple smart people. If there is one there will be another, then another, then another. They were right, and this won't be the last pandemic.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Personally yes i would be working from home if it was possible :)
The promotion may come in a later time, but in a more safe way for everyone :)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Would I put my life and the lives of spouses, parents, grandparents, neighbors, children on the line for a promotion? Hell no.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

I'm in that exact situation now (well, a promotion isn't on the line, but I'm in a high risk job). And yes, I'm trying to work some days from home, though I do need to be in clinic at least some days.

Rational Agnostic

Nearly everyone can be bought, but different people have different prices. So it depends on the size of the promotion.

Rational Agnostic

Would I put my life and the lives of spouses, parents, grandparents, neighbors, children on the line for a promotion? Hell no.

What if someone offered you enough money to pay for all of you, your family, your children and grandchildren's education and housing expenses for the rest of their lives by going into work one extra day a week? Would you turn them down?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I wod first make sure your friend is making a fully informed decision knowing fully well what Covid is capable of. It's a harsh situation, but the severity of covid has been gravely downplayed as if death, sniffles, or a flu like thingy youll get over once it passes. Nor is it acknowledged often that with each "step of progression" tue disease takes, the worse the damge and the worse your odds start to look. Most people will be fine, sure. But about 20 percent end up in the hospital. Then the chances are frighteningly high you may end up in ICU and with long lasting and permanent damage. Your chances of intubation go up. Once that happens, your odds of death or a long and hard recovery go up.
And, do note, about 20-25% of those i the hospital are not by any stretch old, many of them in previously good health.
In my situation, my income is different, but I basically quit early on (I even explicitly told the state I voluntarily quit to "not expose myself and others to covid."), realized Covid may be the end of that, and as I've learned more about covid the more reluctant I am to re enter any sort of public workforce due to the list of health ailments I already have. So I am beginning to look for other avenues of employment that are entirely at-home. Though I'd likely be fine going back to what I was, I've lost far greater odds in poker hands, and replacing the bullet with a virus that may do nothing or scar your lungs or kill you doesn't make Russian Roulette anymore appealing, and thats pretty much what it is people do when they assume the risks of catching covid.

Rational Agnostic

I wod first make sure your friend is making a fully informed decision knowing fully well what Covid is capable of. It's a harsh situation, but the severity of covid has been gravely downplayed as if death, sniffles, or a flu like thingy youll get over once it passes. Nor is it acknowledged often that with each "step of progression" tue disease takes, the worse the damge and the worse your odds start to look. Most people will be fine, sure. But about 20 percent end up in the hospital. Then the chances are frighteningly high you may end up in ICU and with long lasting and permanent damage. Your chances of intubation go up. Once that happens, your odds of death or a long and hard recovery go up.
And, do note, about 20-25% of those i the hospital are not by any stretch old, many of them in previously good health.
In my situation, my income is different, but I basically quit early on (I even explicitly told the state I voluntarily quit to "not expose myself and others to covid."), realized Covid may be the end of that, and as I've learned more about covid the more reluctant I am to re enter any sort of public workforce due to the list of health ailments I already have. So I am beginning to look for other avenues of employment that are entirely at-home. Though I'd likely be fine going back to what I was, I've lost far greater odds in poker hands, and replacing the bullet with a virus that may do nothing or scar your lungs or kill you doesn't make Russian Roulette anymore appealing, and thats pretty much what it is people do when they assume the risks of catching covid.

I think your figure of 20% of COVID patients being hospitalized is high. According to this article, the hospitliazation rate is 19% for people over the age of 80, around 8% for people in their 50s, and 1% for people under 30.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-...th-with-covid-19-rise-steadily-with-age-study

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

You'd have to consider if you get infected you might be out of work for two weeks or longer.

From me, it'd depend on how many people were out there relying on me to be there. If other folks needed me to be out there I probably would. If the only reason for me to be out was for a chance at a promotion probably not.

For the company no. The company is probably not going to care about you getting sick. They'll just find someone else to replace you.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

What type of job is it?

Does your friend see it as a high risk job?

If so, I'd tell your friend to wait for the promotion and work at home. If he feels he may infect someone or be infected, like any other virus, I'd say better safe than sorry. Maybe your friend can let her boss know she would like to take the promotion when all dies down and feel more comfortable working from home until then.

Why can't your friend get a promotion while working at home?

How does working from home change whether your friend gets a promotion or not?

On the other hand, if "your friend" doesn't see it as a high risk job and feels by his actions and precautions he can't infect others and not at risk vis versa, I'd take the promotion and still work especially if the promotion is likely to help me take care of family and important bills more so than just to get the promotion as a end to itself.

Your friend would know what's best for himself and others when it comes to his opinion of being at high risk. If he values your opinion, I'd say the first option. If he makes decisions based on his circumstance while respecting your opinion I'd say the second.

It depends on the job and reason he may need (or want?) the promotion. If it's really an issue and his decision may jepordize his work performance, work from home.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If:

• I could work effectively from home, if my employer let me,
  • Not working from home would put me at high risk, and
  • My employer won't let me work from home (or is ready to deny advancement opportunities over it),
... then I'd be looking for a new job. This is not an employer that cares about its employees and certainly not one worth dying for.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The question that comes to mind is whether your friend has family living with him/her?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Yes.
Job security would be a trickier question, but risking a promotion, absolutely.
Ultimately if you're being promoted higher in an organisation that has some fundamental differences in work from home policies, etc, it can become difficult to manage anyway (COVID notwithstanding).

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yeah, I think 20% is the percentage of those with "severe" symptoms (not exactly sure how that's classified), but the percentage of people needing hospitalization is less.
From what I've read, I do not personally want to find out what these severe symptoms can entail.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I've always been taught that you run toward things that scares you the most. That way when you face your fears, you see it's true face.

It's really a personal choice and assuming a risk or just playing it safe will always be valid decisions but will also carry its own results that one may or may not regret later on.

ginaGH

Whether you are going into work or working from home, the COVID-19 pandemic has probably changed the way you work. Fear and anxiety about this new disease and other strong emotions can be overwhelming, and workplace stress can lead toburnoutexternal icon . How you cope with these emotions and stress can affect your well-being, the well-being of the people you care about, your workplace, and your community. During this pandemic, it is critical that you recognize what stress looks like, take steps to build your resilience and manage job stress, and know where to go if you need help.