• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Courage of the White Flag

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
The Pope should have the courage to speak out against the aggressors. Putting the responsibility on the victim to resolve the situation speaks volumes about the moral qualities of the man.

The bishop of Rome, like Jesus, should be promoting deescalation. Hence, he is doing the right thing.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
No. Fall to tyranny? Be ruled by Putin? Surrender is not an option. You might as well kill me anyways. Who I am, the books I have, they wouldn't let me live long anyways.
The bishop of Rome, like Jesus, should be promoting deescalation. Hence, he is doing the right thing.
What he's suggesting would help to enable, empower and justify a bully. The right thing is for Putin to stop his aggression, end his invasion and leave Ukraine for Ukraine.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ukraine's fate rests largely with Republicans.
They oppose funding the fight against Russia.
This is either due to Trump opposing cooperation
with Democrats, or siding with Russia.
It certainly isn't fiscal conservatism...that's not
their way.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Sounds like he, and you, are missing who is attacking who.

How can Ukraine talk peace with the regime that is already stripping away parts of its territory, is displaying unprovoked aggression and is killing and kidnapping its people?

You would have to be zipped up the back.

Regiomontanus

No. Fall to tyranny? Be ruled by Putin? Surrender is not an option. You might as well kill me anyways. Who I am, the books I have, they wouldn't let me live long anyways.

What he's suggesting would help to enable, empower and justify a bully. The right thing is for Putin to stop his aggression, end his invasion and leave Ukraine for Ukraine.

I respect your opinion but do not agree with it.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
There is a difference between using realpolitik debate and unreasonable idealism based on patriotism.

Sometimes it is wiser to negotiate before you just start throwing everyone into a death machine in the name of ideology.

Regiomontanus

Sounds like he, and you, are missing who is attacking who.

How can Ukraine talk peace with the regime that is already stripping away parts of its territory, is displaying unprovoked aggression and is killing and kidnapping its people?

You would have to be zipped up the back.

I think he and I, not you, understand the history and cultural heritage of that area.

I do not understand your last sentence.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I think he and I, not you, understand the history and cultural heritage of that area.

I do not understand your last sentence.
You would have to be very gullible to think the psychos in charge of Russia will hold to any agreement, given what has happened.

I'm not a history buff, but then I don't think the history or cultural heritage have anything to do with wars of aggression.

Regiomontanus

You would have to be very gullible to think the psychos in charge of Russia will hold to any agreement, given what has happened.

I'm not a history buff, but then I don't think the history or cultural heritage have anything to do with wars of aggression.

I would argue that demonizing your enemy, instead of praying for them and trying to understand them, is counterproductive. Russia views Ukraine in a way I do not think you appreciate. Unfortunately, that is also the case with Biden, among others, IMHO.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
The Pope has advised Ukraine to consider waving a white flag in the face of likely defeat in the war with Russia.
Pope Francis says Ukraine should have "courage of the white flag" against Russia

Do you agree?
Is it time for Ukraine to consider terms of surrender in order to end the war.

In response to Pope Francis' comments, Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba wrote Sunday on social media, "Our flag is a yellow and blue one. This is the flag by which we live, die, and prevail. We shall never raise any other flags."

This is also the assumed direction Trump would pursue if reelected.
Whereas Biden pledges continued US support for Ukraine.

Pope Francis has said many good things, but this is not one of them.

From his position of far-reaching influence, he should have directed a message to the imperialist aggressors—Putin's regime—instead of effectively placing the onus of negotiation and peace on the targets of the imperialist aggression.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I would argue that demonizing your enemy, instead of praying for them and trying to understand them, is counterproductive. Russia views Ukraine in a way I do not think you appreciate. Unfortunately, that is also the case with Biden, among others, IMHO.
I think defending war criminals is counter productive. Take care.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
What an American viewpoint, which is why Americans shouldn't be involved in Old World conflicts. Americans are very ignorant of historical context but love acting like Rambo. Culture? Heritage? What's that? :rolleyes: I'm not trying to pick on you personally, but it's something I've noticed with this country and I'm very disappointed.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Pope Francis has said many good things, but this is not one of them.

From his position of far-reaching influence, he should have directed a message to the imperialist aggressors—Putin's regime—instead of effectively placing the onus of negotiation and peace on the targets of the imperialist aggression.
It does reflect a much deeper issue amd history of the Vatican blaming the victims and placing the pressure on the victims to change.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I'm Scottish.

Your American right wing ideology is causing you to sympathise with the war criminals.
Fair enough, but your view there still strikes me as very American, so it's surprising that you're not.

Actually, I've been very antiwar since the 2000s due to the disgusting Bush admin. I vote for whoever the most antiwar candidate is. I really screwed up voting for Obama for the second time and Hillary in 2016. I am considering voting Green this time. So don't give me that nonsense. Both "right" and "left" are trash and mean nothing, really.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Remember, folks. The way to ensure peace is to give war-mongering tyrants what they want, then give them a place at the negotiation table and allow them to carve up your country as reward for unprovoked military aggression.

And the people in this thread claiming that this is okay because of "ethnic/cultural" ties in the region are just openly embracing ethno-nationalism. You don't get to decide that a sovereign state, particularly one that fought for its independence and established its own distinct democracy, should just be subsumed into another country because "eh, they're basically the same people". This is disgusting trash, and you should be embarrassed for even thinking such a position is tenable.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Surrender in this case means Russia will move on to attack the next country in line. This is what Germany did until the UK stood up to them.
Where do you think Russia will stop. The more countries. It takes, the easier it gets.
Be very afraid. Appeasement never works.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
What an American viewpoint, which is why Americans shouldn't be involved in Old World conflicts. Americans are very ignorant of historical context but love acting like Rambo. Culture? Heritage? What's that? :rolleyes: I'm not trying to pick on you personally, but it's something I've noticed with this country and I'm very disappointed.

It is rather American to say that a country ought to defend itself rather than submit to a dictator that seeks to rule them.