• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Couldn't have said it better myself...

Heyo

Veteran Member
But it isn't. Our sexual mores would be part of why people would want to cover up. How do you get rid of thousands of years of those?
I don't understand your question. How would the kids get the idea that it is sexual mores to cover up when they've never seen people in clothes?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I don't understand your question. How would the kids get the idea that it is sexual mores to cover up when they've never seen people in clothes?
Because their parents will have that imbued into them. It is rather hard not to pass on the mores that one was brought up in. Unless a child is educated into what will happen when they hit puberty and are not taught to accept it there are apt to be negative reactions.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Because their parents will have that imbued into them. It is rather hard not to pass on the mores that one was brought up in. Unless a child is educated into what will happen when they hit puberty and are not taught to accept it there are apt to be negative reactions.
I never said that the experiment would be practical or ethical.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
But it isn't. Our sexual mores would be part of why people would want to cover up. How do you get rid of thousands of years of those?
You're kidding. No sexual mores for gorillas and chimps and lions, hmm? (Guess you will say, no ...lolol ...) Have a good one

YoursTrue

Yeah so somewhere down the line a denisovan or neanderthal started wearing clothes because...let me guess...it was cold...but somehow gorillas did not step into that arena of thinking and/or need to change...:)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yeah so somewhere down the line a denisovan or neanderthal started wearing clothes because...let me guess...it was cold...but somehow gorillas did not step into that arena of thinking and/or need to change...:)

Gorillas never left the environment in which they evolved. There was no need for them to come up with an artificial solution.

YoursTrue

Gorillas never left the environment in which they evolved. There was no need for them to come up with an artificial solution.
So then, the birds, bees, and gorillas felt no "need" to manufacture clothing, is that your take on it? I have a feeling some populations of animals died out because they couldn't survive weather changes. Let me guess your answer: they didn't have time to figure how to make clothing to keep themselves covered and/or warm? Too bad about the sharks that couldn't make clothes to keep them warm -- wrong atmosphere -- water dwellers I suppose: :)
Megalodons succumbed to global cooling due to the shrinking of their habitat, the vanishing of their favorite prey, and competition from other predators 3.5 million years ago.
A combination of factors for them -- global cooling among other situations.
Why Did Megalodon Sharks Go Extinct? - AZ Animals (a-z-animals.com)
It's been interesting talking to you. :) Have another good one!

YoursTrue

You were the one that brought up gorillas. I merely explained to you why it was a bad argument.
LOL, it was (is) a great argument. No OTHER form of life that "scientists" call apes make clothes to cover themselves up and keep warm. :)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So then, the birds, bees, and gorillas felt no "need" to manufacture clothing, is that your take on it? I have a feeling some populations of animals died out because they couldn't survive weather changes. Let me guess your answer: they didn't have time to figure how to make clothing to keep themselves covered and/or warm? Too bad about the sharks that couldn't make clothes to keep them warm -- wrong atmosphere -- water dwellers I suppose: :)
Megalodons succumbed to global cooling due to the shrinking of their habitat, the vanishing of their favorite prey, and competition from other predators 3.5 million years ago.
A combination of factors for them -- global cooling among other situations.
Why Did Megalodon Sharks Go Extinct? - AZ Animals (a-z-animals.com)
It's been interesting talking to you. :) Have another good one!
It is not about feelings. It is about need. There is no physical need for clothing for gorillas in their present environment.

And yes, climate change has caused extinctions in the past. You seem to be making a common creationist mistake of thinking that evolution can think ahead. It cannot. Evolution only applies to current conditions. There are two more advanced concepts in evolution. They are robustness and level of adaption. Sometimes it can be a bad ting to be perfectly adapted to an environment. Things are great if there are no changes. A species that was "perfectly adapted" would rule an environment. The problem is that any changes in that environment could be disaterous.

A robust species on the other hand will not be perfectly adapted to the environment that it lives in, but if it changes there will be enough variation within its species so that it will survive the changes.

YoursTrue

It is not about feelings. It is about need. There is no physical need for clothing for gorillas in their present environment.

And yes, climate change has caused extinctions in the past. You seem to be making a common creationist mistake of thinking that evolution can think ahead. It cannot. Evolution only applies to current conditions. There are two more advanced concepts in evolution. They are robustness and level of adaption. Sometimes it can be a bad ting to be perfectly adapted to an environment. Things are great if there are no changes. A species that was "perfectly adapted" would rule an environment. The problem is that any changes in that environment could be disaterous.

A robust species on the other hand will not be perfectly adapted to the environment that it lives in, but if it changes there will be enough variation within its species so that it will survive the changes.
no, it was a very foolish one.
So again -- just to make sure about your beliefs, conclusions, and argument, if I may -- only HUMANS feel the need for various reasons to cover themselves, is that correct? While gorillas, chimpanzees and lions do not.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So again -- just to make sure about your beliefs, conclusions, and argument, if I may -- only HUMANS feel the need for various reasons to cover themselves, is that correct? While gorillas, chimpanzees and lions do not.
Yes, and once again, that appears to be more due to social mores than anything else.

YoursTrue

@Subduction Zone -- too bad these guys haven't figured it out yet about wearing clothing -- who knows? maybe a human will figure out how to get them to keep warm, maybe they'll "evolve" to develop brains and hands so they can keep themselves warm. Or maybe they'll figure out they need to move to a warmer climate. To recap -- only HUMANS wear clothing, for whatever reason -- and no, gorillas do not have sexual needs (mores as you seem to say) to cover their bare bodies up. Unless you can show otherwise.Thousands of sea turtles in Texas can’t move because of the cold temperatures. Here’s what volunteers are doing. (slate.com)

YoursTrue

Yes, and once again, that appears to be more due to social mores than anything else.
Oh, so now you're finally saying it's likely due to "social mores." (Congratulations.) Gorillas and turtles apparently do not feel the need to cover themselves up because of "social mores." :)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Oh, so now you're finally saying it's likely due to "social mores." (Congratulations.) Gorillas and turtles apparently do not feel the need to cover themselves up because of "social mores." :)
Through most of human existence, we likely didn't either. In Amazonia, there are some bands that don't wear clothes even today.